Nature’s Ombré!

paddlegal

Nature’s Ombré!

Post by paddlegal »

With the sun out today I chose to bird over crafting with the Wednesday group. Outdoor activities always take priority with me. These two gorgeous Cedar Waxwings were directly above my car so I opened the sunroof and took dozens of this pair in their courtship ritual. One was offering food to the other. But just look at the gradient of their subtle colors! Now that is true ombré!

So what Oxides would you use to recreate this coloring?
Attachments
5309DD09-BC68-4168-ACB4-90942C9234CF.jpeg
5309DD09-BC68-4168-ACB4-90942C9234CF.jpeg (124.74 KiB) Viewed 402 times
1A73F8F9-C52B-425C-8D16-DDFEBB78ADE8.jpeg
1A73F8F9-C52B-425C-8D16-DDFEBB78ADE8.jpeg (103.99 KiB) Viewed 402 times
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Re: Nature’s Ombré!

Post by pamcook »

How beautiful! Just beautiful.
Pam Cook #48
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

How nice! Your photos are amazing.
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

My kind of photo shoot! Right from the car!! Great shots!
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Beautiful, and that sky is not too shabby either!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

Those birds are beautiful and your photos are amazing. It sounds like you had a lovely day.
Sue in NC (formerly known as Sue in Colorado)
Monica

Post by Monica »

Beautiful birds! As for the Oxides, I'd say brushed corduroy, old paper, and either mustard seed or scattered straw.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Monica wrote:Beautiful birds! As for the Oxides, I'd say brushed corduroy, old paper, and either mustard seed or scattered straw.

Perfect!
FARLEY in Sacramento
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I finally saw a Cedar Waxwing a few years ago, which is not native to our area. Evidently it was migrating and landing on our deck rail. By the time I had camera in hand, he had moved on. Recently I've had several Red Shouldered Hawks enjoying the deck which has been a real treat.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

pbp908 wrote:I finally saw a Cedar Waxwing a few years ago, which is not native to our area. Evidently it was migrating and landing on our deck rail. By the time I had camera in hand, he had moved on. Recently I've had several Red Shouldered Hawks enjoying the deck which has been a real treat.

Oooh, how cool you have RTHAs hanging out at your home! They are likely a mated (for life) pair and shopping for a nest site. We get the Cedar Waxwings in droves during the winter. My field guide shows you having Cedar Waxwings in the winter also. Keep on a lookout. They are attracted to all kinds of berries including pyracantha and mistletoe.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

This is a terrible picture, but this guy was in our yard last week. I noticed him at about 10:15 am and he sat on that rabbit all day, nothing fazed him. Finally at about 5:30 pm he started eating and once he had his fill, he was gone.
WP_20190116_16_21_07_Rich.jpg
WP_20190116_16_21_07_Rich.jpg (63.11 KiB) Viewed 356 times
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Wow, what a cool event! But then did you have to clean up the remains of the bunny? Oh my. Interesting it stayed for so long before eating it’s catch. Red-Tailed Hawk...an immature one?
FARLEY in Sacramento
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

It was quite interesting, Farley. He would turn around, but never let go of the rabbit. The magpies and crows really wanted in on the feast, but knew better than to mess with him.

It was dark by the time he left, but when I looked in the morning, there was really nothing left. Just some bloody snow and a few tufts of fur. Not even any bones. So, I don't know if he ate the whole thing or someone else finished it off. I'm sorry I didn't get to see him fly away because I really wanted to see how big his wingspan was.
4nancie

Post by 4nancie »

the picture of the single bird should be on a calendar!
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

pugmom wrote:It was quite interesting, Farley. He would turn around, but never let go of the rabbit. The magpies and crows really wanted in on the feast, but knew better than to mess with him.

It was dark by the time he left, but when I looked in the morning, there was really nothing left. Just some bloody snow and a few tufts of fur. Not even any bones. So, I don't know if he ate the whole thing or someone else finished it off. I'm sorry I didn't get to see him fly away because I really wanted to see how big his wingspan was.

Oh I am sure the “cleaners” came in after he left. Nature sure is interesting and very cool.

Thank you Nancie!
FARLEY in Sacramento