Just in case...

Save some $ Find out what works
pamcook

Just in case...

Post by pamcook »

My ATG is on its last legs. I've tried all the tricks and now I just think the side that takes up the "waste" is worn out.
I thought I'd check to see if anyone here has one for sale? AC Moore has a 55% off 1 item coupon so I might treat myself to a new one.
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Re: Just in case...

Post by Keitha »

Wow, I didn't realize they could wear out. Wouldn't it be fun to know how many miles of adhesive tape have run through it in its lifetime? I don't use one/never wanted one, so can't help you.
katymjo

Post by katymjo »

I've never had one either, Keitha, what do you use?
Kathryn.
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

katymjo wrote:I've never had one either, Keitha, what do you use?
Kathryn.
I prefer the little hand-held tape runners; the guns always seemed awkward and too big for my taste. At the moment I'm using Tombow tape runners, and for heavier things/minibooks where the pages won't be in page protectors the Xtreme tape runner - which I just realized is made by Tombow as well. It seems every time I find a brand I like they discontinue it, and it's a PITA to have to constantly try new ones and buy different dispensers - even longer-lasting brands seem to change their dispensers, just so you have to buy more I think. But despite those annoyances I'm still not interested in a tape gun, nor do I want just the rolls of tape where I need 2 hands to pick it up and tear a piece off.
I just listened to a podcast (ScrapGals The Big Purge) where Tori, the gal they interviewed, said she purged all her various adhesives. That elicited a gasp from Tracie, but Tori explained that Wilna Furstenberg was one of the first scrappers she followed and Wilna always uses a glue gun - so that's all Tori uses, too. So she got rid of all the other adhesives she'd bought when she first started, that she never used. Personally I have a bin of adhesives - everything from vellum tape to wet glue to tape runners to dimensional squares - in my scrappy world one adhesive does not fit all.
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

I see quite a few scrappers use a hot glue gun. I have tried it, on occasion, especially if I want a little dimension behind an item. But I just seem to return to my ATG gun.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

I've had both the 1/4" and 1/2" ATGs for years. Very little trouble with either though I have to watch out on the 1/4" one...sometimes the tape wants to slide off the roller that touches the surface I'm adhering to. All in all, I am really happy with both.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Doesn't Julie have one that she hates? I know there was someone on here who hated theirs and never used it.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I, too have a drawer full of various adhesives but I am physically attached to my ATG. I lo--ove the danged thing. I tried using the little adhesive runners again and I swear they run out faster than I can buy them (not really because I always seem to have a stash for emergencies).

Hot glue gun and me? That would be an I Love Lucy episode. Hate them. h.a.t.e. them. I would be more apt to use Scotch Quick Dry (or whatever it's called these days) but I move stuff around as I build a page so that would never work.

Think I'll stop by AC Moore tonight and splurge on a new one. I know I've been through at least 100 rolls of adhesive with it. The uptake roll gear feels like it's slipping. Joel would probably be able to fix it - assuming parts would be available. The parts would probably cost more than a new one at half-price though. One thing for sure - it will be used!
Pam Cook #48
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

I actually have 2 ATG's. I was at a crop and believe it or not left mine at home. Just so happens a vendor had one left and guess who bought it. So I have a spare if one ever breaks. I usually keep one in my travel bag and use the other one.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
Monica

Post by Monica »

I have all kinds of wet and dry adhesives, but my stand-by is plain old Scotch double-sided tape in a regular tape dispenser. I do use the tombow one for travel and doing ribbon... paper or otherwise... on a layout. Hot glue is something I would avoid on my pages though. I've used it on canvases and the covers of mini books, but it's usually reserved for non-scrapbooking projects.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

I think Blitsy had adhesive things on sale. Check there for price comparison in case they're still on sale.
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

I may add double sided tape to my use because the ATG is so expensive. I will still use it but not as much. I agree Monica I would never use a glue gun on cards or pages.

Monica wrote:I have all kinds of wet and dry adhesives, but my stand-by is plain old Scotch double-sided tape in a regular tape dispenser. I do use the tombow one for travel and doing ribbon... paper or otherwise... on a layout. Hot glue is something I would avoid on my pages though. I've used it on canvases and the covers of mini books, but it's usually reserved for non-scrapbooking projects.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Turns out it was cheaper on Amazon. AC Moore doesn't even carry them and I didn't want to fight traffic to check Michaels. Of course, mine has been working well tonight but I have to hold it at just the right angle. When the roll is almost empty, I'll ask Joel to see if it could be fixed. He enjoys a challenge like that.
Pam Cook #48
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

pbp908 wrote:Doesn't Julie have one that she hates? I know there was someone on here who hated theirs and never used it.
If the Julie you were talking about is me, I have a love/hate relationship with mine. I have two, and while I love that I don't have to shop for actual adhesive so often, I hate that I have to tear off the waste 2-3 times per roll to get it to work again. I've made every modification I can think of to keep the waste tape from causing problems, but it doesn't wind straight, and causes tension problems. But... I still have it because the smaller hand-held adhesives don't work nearly as well (IMO). Every scrapbook that I've ever picked up and had pieces fall out of, the pieces were adhered with one of those smaller adhesive runners.

So I still use mine (both sizes), but I have to putz with them frequently to keep them functional. Haven't actually scrapped in ages though, so maybe the stuff in the smaller runners is better quality now? Either way, I'll continue using my ATGs at least until I run out of my current stock of adhesive rolls.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
fuzzylover

Post by fuzzylover »

pamcook wrote:My ATG is on its last legs. I've tried all the tricks and now I just think the side that takes up the "waste" is worn out.
I thought I'd check to see if anyone here has one for sale? AC Moore has a 55% off 1 item coupon so I might treat myself to a new one.
I know I'm coming into this late, but have you ever tried Tape Jungle?? That's who I use for my ATG tape (very reasonable) and they have the ATG Guns.