August 2017 Card Sketch Challenge - Card Your Scraps

jfugina

Re: August 2017 Card Sketch Challenge - Card Your Scraps

Post by jfugina »

I'm getting geared up to work on this challenge some more this weekend. I had a couple of hours tonight to spare, so I dumped the scrap box, and decided that step one was to sort into some general color families. I pitched a bunch of tiny pieces that really should never have been kept, but most of it is still on the table. I swear it multiplied during the sorting process.
IMG_0795.jpg
IMG_0795.jpg (30.97 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Here is the scraps after they've been sorted. I started to pull a few pieces out that attracted my attention, and matched them with some coordinating scraps. So here is my starting point for carding my scraps or turning them into empty layouts.
IMG_0796.jpg
IMG_0796.jpg (28.41 KiB) Viewed 286 times
I'm frankly a bit embarrassed. I know full well that some of these scraps are at least 15 years old. But this weekend, they're going to find a purpose.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Wow Julie! I see a lot of die cuts and punches in your future. Looking forward to see what you create.
FARLEY in Sacramento
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Yikes!
Not that I don't have a similar mess. But seeing it all laid out there is frightening.
nancine

Post by nancine »

well, now it's all organized so it will be easier to use right?

I made myself use the "scraps" box last night first before looking any further for paper!
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

nancine wrote:well, now it's all organized so it will be easier to use right?

I made myself use the "scraps" box last night first before looking any further for paper!
Hopefully, yes! One of the things I hadn't realize until I dumped it all out, was just how deep that box went. I'm contemplating some other scrap-keeping mechanism, like by color like Marianne does. I reach for whole sheets of white cardstock all the time, but meanwhile I had tons of it buried throughout the box. Same was true for black. I was shocked at the amount of sizable black pieces I had once it was all sorted.
Julie Fugina
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

jfugina wrote:
nancine wrote:well, now it's all organized so it will be easier to use right?
Hopefully, yes! One of the things I hadn't realize until I dumped it all out, was just how deep that box went. I'm contemplating some other scrap-keeping mechanism, like by color like Marianne does. I reach for whole sheets of white cardstock all the time, but meanwhile I had tons of it buried throughout the box. Same was true for black. I was shocked at the amount of sizable black pieces I had once it was all sorted.
Yeah, the scraps look better already just sorting them by color. :lol: After your weekend Scrapfest, slip each color family into an old page protector, stand them up in a drawer or box, and DONE!

Or what I am liking even more since my last reorganizing is the 12 x 12s, 8.5 x 11s and the scrap bag are all in a drawer together. When I open each drawer, I can look through the scrap bags first for a card front, border strip, etc. then go to the larger sheets if I don't find what I need. I have 13 drawers-red, orange, yellow, yellow greens, blue greens, blue, purple and pink, turquoise, black and white, grey, ecru/cream and brown. The multicolored drawer includes large and small paper pads. That one is a big drawer!

The other thing I do in each drawer is put a Post It note sticking out between the single 12 x 12s and those I have 2 or more sheets of. That way if I wanted two sheets the same for a double layout, I would know to look below the Post It note. It saves time instead of looking through everything for two sheets the same. It's also really good for all the slightly different black and white solids.

This system only works if you sort everything by color and not by kits, manufacturer or theme.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

I was off Monday.... and stayed home yesterday (rather than drive through the deep ponding on the highway from all the rain) .... so I jumped into the scrap room and started cleaning. Haven't purged supplies yet, but I sure threw away a bunch of crap that shouldn't even have been in there. I had two baskets plus some stacks of scraps of paper.... oh yay.... they're in 2 huge ziploc bags now..... and I'm going to start making a bunch of cards to then send off to some of those organizations we've got posted now. It'll give me a chance to ink up some more stamps and to play with the Silhouette some more. I don't have everything back in the room, but I got a lot of what I had dragged out to the living room put back in the scrap room. Chevie seemed to be ok with lying on the sofa while some videos played on the TV... so maybe she'll let me work in that room again. She even visited me a few times and I've secured almost everything in there, now... so she can't grab things and run away with them... LOL.

So - Julie.. don't feel bad about that collection of scraps... I've got the same size collection. :-)
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
nancine

Post by nancine »

I have a drawer just for black cardstock and scraps :lol: I use black a lot for mats and for die cutting (especially words).

I have one of those photo storage boxes with the scraps basically grouped in colors and then I have a little "tub" for scraps near the paper cutter - when it gets a bit too out of hand I put them in a bag I keep for my friend who does a Girls Club Camp.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Nancy, I think you may be on to something. Even if all of the other scraps wind up combined again, I should make an effort to keep black stock (and probably white too) in their own container, since it seems like I'm always digging for those two colors in the scrap bin.

I'm going to try to make up a few "kits" out of those scraps this weekend. Not sure if I'll do any more beyond that, but it struck me today that I've got dozens of beautiful sticker sheets that I probably won't ever dig into, unless I use them to build a set of empty layouts. So I'm going to put together some kits based on a few of those sticker sheets and see what happens.

Then I'm going to use my fancy fold card die sets and make a bunch of card bases.

Looking so forward to this weekend! I've missed this!
Julie Fugina
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Happy to have you back, Julie. You seem much happier.