Are you a Tim Holtz fan? We are!
Monica

Re: watercolor paper and Distress Markers

Post by Monica »

djenns wrote:
nancine wrote:beautiful... I want those markers too :lol:
Is there a bigger enabler then Monica???? :cool5: :cool5:

Diana
Who? Me?? :mrgreen: Someone asked me to post what I did with them.... so it's not my fault if you all suddenly need to have them! :creating: :enabler:

:cool5: :cool5: :cool5: :cool5: :cool5: :cool5: :cool5: :cool5:
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

Gorgeous, Monica!
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

I'm starting to think I need some of these :lol: Markers frustrate me because you make a mark and there it sits. I want to be able to smear it or blend it a bit. Or maybe I should be taking the color off the marker with a blending pen and using that instead of the marker. I got some of the Pitt pens in colors but I'm not seeing a whole lot of blending ability. It's probably me.
Suggestions, anyone?

I think this is vaguely on Monica's topic, isn't it?
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
nancine

Post by nancine »

I'm hoping Monica can answer this in regards to the new Distress Markers.
I'd like my markers to do what you are asking! the best luck I've had is to scribble them on my craft mat or an acrylic block and then pick up with either a blender pen or paintbrush.
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Here is my March tag. I would have never bought that wood grain stamp, but since it was in with all those stamps I won I used it. It is nice to have all these stamps of his!! I have to keep pinching myself, I still can't believe I won something like that.

Sorry I put this in the wrong subject. I don't know how to delete it.
Attachments
march2012r.jpg
march2012r.jpg (24.17 KiB) Viewed 339 times
Monica

Post by Monica »

nancine wrote:I'm hoping Monica can answer this in regards to the new Distress Markers.
I'd like my markers to do what you are asking! the best luck I've had is to scribble them on my craft mat or an acrylic block and then pick up with either a blender pen or paintbrush.
mpizzazz wrote:I'm starting to think I need some of these :lol: Markers frustrate me because you make a mark and there it sits. I want to be able to smear it or blend it a bit. Or maybe I should be taking the color off the marker with a blending pen and using that instead of the marker. I got some of the Pitt pens in colors but I'm not seeing a whole lot of blending ability. It's probably me.
Suggestions, anyone?

I think this is vaguely on Monica's topic, isn't it?
If you want true blendability with markers you pretty much have to go with Copics or another AI-based marker. THat being said, the Distress markers are the same ink as the inkpads, so you have the blendability that you would with the inkpads. My sample was liberally spritzed with water and then heatset to achieve the lovely watercolor look. I also did some direct to rubber woloring with them and got some great images. I took pictures but haven't had a chance to post them yet. Between a sick DH, too much work crap, and not sleeping well this week, it's all I can do to get through each day. I'll try to get the card pictures posted this weekend. Keep in mind that I'm still playing around with the markers and am by no means an expert!! ;) I've only used them on watercolor paper thus far, so maybe they will blend better on glossy.... I'll add that to the list to try. :creating:
nancine

Post by nancine »

hey, don't worry about us Monica! you're just the only one we know who has them :lol:

I have some Copics, but I'm a messy color-er with them. I don't know if color-er is a word, but you get the idea right?

I know in the videos that Tim uses the new Ranger paper... and I'm wondering if it is like the JukiKins MatteKote paper. That stuff is pretty cool, kind of a cross between glossy and matte.
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Oh my that is just gorgeous. What a wonderful wall art piece. I am going to have to get those markers also now.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

I did have a little play this morning with my markers. I used a blending pen to take color off my ancient Marvy markers and that worked ok. I used a brush with water on the Pitt markers and that worked fine. What you suggest, Nancine, would also work well. I guess I just need to brush up on my marker skills. Maybe I'll get a few of the distress ones just to try since I am certainly missing a lot of the Marvy colors that dried up long ago.
I don't want to color in pictures like the Copic coloring, just add a little line or shading. For example on the bamboo I stamped for the March Tim Tag. I would be more interested in a watercolor effect than an image colored inside the lines.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
Monica

Post by Monica »

What I have loved in playing with the markers so far is that they react with water just like the ink from the inkpads, which creates a beautiful watercolor effect on watercolor paper! Like I said, I've only tried them on watercolor paper so far, so I'll report back when I've had a moment to try them on other papers.
Monica

Post by Monica »

Forgot to post these here! This is more playing with the Distress markers. This time I applied directly to the rubber, spritzed, and stamped on the watercolor paper. Crisper image is the first spritz, fuzzier the second one. I cleaned the stamp after the second one, but I could probably have gotten at least one more print.

*Word of caution for those who are used to Copics: these do not blend like a Copic does, because htey are water-based and Copics are alcohol-based. Aeryn Kelly and I have been chatting a bit on FB about that. She was disappointed that they didn't blend like her Copics, but these aren't designed for that particular purpose. That being said, I was happy with the blending I got simply misting the paper for my first card. If you are a Copic lover, keep that in mind...
Attachments
P1120792a.jpg
P1120792a.jpg (210.38 KiB) Viewed 318 times
P1120790a.jpg
P1120790a.jpg (240.03 KiB) Viewed 318 times
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Monica I love those images. I never could get the copics and sold all the ones I bought. I think I could like these but it will be some time before I can get any.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Those are beautiful, Monica!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
Judi in IL