2018 releases

pamcook

2018 releases

Post by pamcook »

https://toribissell.com/blogs/blog/spri ... ollections

There are some that really appeal to me (as usual). Sure wish there was a way to get all I want of a collection without having to shop multiple sites. Shipping costs suck.
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Re: 2018 releases

Post by paddlegal »

Oh gee Pam I wasn't prepared to go down this rabbit hole today. But at first scroll, I can see I will. Time for breakfast, latte and my iPad. :roll:

I do see some very pretty things. Thanks for the link...really.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Oh gee. Teal, yellow, pink, coral and a smattering of green amidst all of the florals and of course more wood grain. Cartoony animals. The continuing misuse of the word "awesome." And Prima? SSDD. I *think* I saw one collection that was vaguely interesting to me.

I'm underwhelmed. Can you tell?
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Have to say I could probably live without any of this, nothing really makes my heart sing. Bella Blvd. might get a few of my hard-earned dollars; I do like the felt pennants and acrylics in their embellishments. LLamas are amusing me lately and if I can figure out a use for it I might indulge in some of Becky Fleck's Paprika (Photo Play). I have to say after several years of Pinkfresh Studios' products on the market they're all starting to look the same to me; yes, the whimsical drawings on all that white space was fresh-looking when they first introduced it, but it's never the papers I'm reaching for. I do like the vibrant colours in the All People All Nations collection by Illustrated Faith; I'd definitely use that for travel photos.
I wonder though, if maybe now that my grandkids are older and I'm taking less photos that I'm inclined to scrap if that might be the reason the new collections don't tempt me. Even when a collection does catch my eye, which in my case still tends to be the themed ones, I realize it's more juvenile than I'd use now. Of course most of these collections still lean heavily toward the feminine/floral, which isn't my style at all.
I thought it was clever of Maggie Holmes that the floral diecuts in her collection look exactly like the effect you get with layering stamps. Way to capitalize on a trend, Maggie.
Monica

Post by Monica »

Skimming through them all... the Harry Potter collection intrigues me both to scrapbook my obsession with the books when they were first coming out, and my sister's family going to the theme park.

I do like the look and colors of Spring Market by Carta Bella, but not enough to likely actually buy it.

Practically Perfect by Echo Park is actually a fun take on Mary Poppins and spring, so I may steer my sis towards that one for character photos from Disneyland. And I'll steer her to Gypsy Rose by Photo Play because it's very her style.

However, I am so entirely over Doodlebug. While I loved the coffee themed kit that SSS did like a year or so ago, I am totally over the whole faces on inanimate objects. Which is also why I'm not a huge fan of Lawn Fawn, I guess.

And Pam, I'm with you regarding the colors.

So not impressed with all this.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Monica wrote:Skimming through them all... the Harry Potter collection intrigues me both to scrapbook my obsession with the books when they were first coming out, and my sister's family going to the theme park.

I do like the look and colors of Spring Market by Carta Bella, but not enough to likely actually buy it.

Practically Perfect by Echo Park is actually a fun take on Mary Poppins and spring, so I may steer my sis towards that one for character photos from Disneyland. And I'll steer her to Gypsy Rose by Photo Play because it's very her style.

However, I am so entirely over Doodlebug. While I loved the coffee themed kit that SSS did like a year or so ago, I am totally over the whole faces on inanimate objects. Which is also why I'm not a huge fan of Lawn Fawn, I guess.

And Pam, I'm with you regarding the colors.

So not impressed with all this.

I’m with you on the Doodlebug goods. Though cute, the faces on everything (including Lawn Fawn) gets annoying. At least make the faces optional. I just know I’m going to see that set at some point in a future SSS card kit. But since I do have two young grandkids, it can be useful.
FARLEY in Sacramento
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

I just breezed through the lot finally and 2 definitely caught my attention and will probably require my purchase. Photo Play “Paper Crane” and “Paprika”. I am in love with most Asian themes and Llamas are starting to spring up in my collection. The stamps, dies, paper and ephemera in both collections are calling to me.
FARLEY in Sacramento
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

I heard a couple Youtube video folks say that they weren't impressed by this year's new releases.... but... maybe that's why I found some that I actually really want to buy...

Some of Bella Blvd's All People.. All Nations
http://www.acherryontop.com/shop/compan ... ll_nations

And definitely Bella Blvd's Bug Explorer
http://www.acherryontop.com/shop/compan ... g_explorer

KaiserCraft's Misty Mountains
http://www.acherryontop.com/shop/compan ... tains/p/12

And of course their Beach Shack
http://www.acherryontop.com/shop/compan ... each_shack

maybe some of "one canoe two" from American Crafts ... the Twilight line...
http://americancrafts.typepad.com/studi ... anoe2.html

love that there's stuff out there that's not all circles, triangles, chevrons... LOL
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I completely understand why companies aren't willing to take big risks with their product releases. Most of us have enough supplies to last until the end of time anyway. The colors in the major lines work well with my photos and I don't mind that some lines carry over from season to season (Maggie Holmes, for example). I have fewer orphan items that don't work with anything else.
Anyway, until scrapbooking becomes the "next big thing" again, I think our options are going to be fairly limited. Thank goodness for B-sides of papers!

Debi - I like One Canoe's lines as well! ETA - did you see Kaisercraft's Wandering Ivy collection? Love how neutral it is and that blue! <3
Pam Cook #48
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I saw a few collections that made my rapidly moving mouse wheel slow down, but what usually caused that was something non-pastel. But then when I actually stopped and looked at the patterns and embellishments, I found myself asking the question "what types of photos/events would ever cause me to reach for this collection?" and the answer was always "nothing". I know I've talked before about encountering pages or even embellishments that make me think "Oh, I should take a picture of X someday so I can use that embellishment", but it never happens. For example, there was a Dad collection that held some general appeal, but I'd have to give quite a lot of thought about how to photograph my husband doing things (or maybe not doing things) that would make a layout using that collection make sense.

However, that's just me. I know a lot of people don't really think about the pattern or what a particular embellishment says when they're using a product on a layout. I can't do that. For example, the Pop Quiz by Bella Blvd was cute. But I can't begin to fathom how to use any one of those embellishments unless I toll a photo of my kids doing homework. And maybe I really should. But I might do that once and be over it, and have a large portion of a sticker sheet left over. Like, how on earth would I use up a whole collection based on school? Clearly I'm not thinking broadly enough about what I should be taking photos of.

Also.. type-os. So very many type-os or misspellings on the previews I saw. Pathetic.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Julie I was just looking at Pop Quiz and thought what great graduation paper that would be for scrapping graduations and graduation cards. My son’s GF will be getting her Bachelors in engineering in May and I need to start thinking about what I am going to do for her. Possibly an album already set up for her to put photos in and of course a wow type card.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

So far, these are on my list - Kaisercraft (and I almost never buy their papers!) Open Road (I'm 99% sure I still have Australia photos to scrapbook), Wandering Ivy (that blue! <3), Summer Splash (those are NC beach colors!), Mint Washes (Mia's new favorite color is mint green and she's requested more of it on pages with her photos) and then One Canoe Two's Twilight - those colors! oh my.

Watching for the next group of releases before I narrow down my purchases.
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Definitely like Kaisercraft's Open Road collection. Even though I have no plans to visit Australia anytime soon, I might have to tuck away a bit of that. Funny, I just came across a wall mural yesterday that was Eucalyptus Tree Bark.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Scrapbooking is taking off in the land down under. I can't believe companies are finally recognizing there are continents other than No. & So. America.
Pam Cook #48
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

paddlegal wrote:Julie I was just looking at Pop Quiz and thought what great graduation paper that would be for scrapping graduations and graduation cards. My son’s GF will be getting her Bachelors in engineering in May and I need to start thinking about what I am going to do for her. Possibly an album already set up for her to put photos in and of course a wow type card.
Brilliant! Graduation, specifically in a STEM field, would be PERFECT for that collection. And it's something you'd potentially be able to make a lot of pages (or, as you say, a whole album) for.

Getting pics of kids actually in school isn't likely to ever happen. But maybe between "first day" photos, or maybe orientation/locker assignment photos and studying for finals, I could round up enough photos to be worthwhile. BUT.. I also have the "Locker Talk" and "Makin' the Grade" Cricut cartridges that are sorely under-utilized, and if I were smart, I'd organize my page around die cuts from those. But I'm probably not that smart, and will eventually talk myself into a sticker sheet instead. ;-)
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO