DIY library

jfugina

DIY library

Post by jfugina »

It took us nearly a year and a half, but the transformation of the front living room from a playroom to a library/music room/den/whatever is about as done as its going to get (for a long time). We had planned on crown molding, but the unevenness of the floor meant that we had nearly 3/4" in shims at one point, and it made the crown we bought not fit properly. I'd love to figure out another option for a crown, but for now, it's as good as it's going to get. I'll get these scrapped eventually, but I wanted to show y'all the final result. We're pretty proud. Now I need to get back to scrapbooking so I can fill the rest of the shelves!

The first one is the whole room. The wall on the right still needs some decoration to hide the streaky paint. And, we have heavy duty hangers for Jake to hang his guitars on the wall that he's not using.

The second photo is to show what part of the project took the longest. We custom milled the baseboards, and we had to alter the threshold strip because the tile and hardwood weren't the same height. The baseboards are the same wood as the cabinets, and we ordered stain and glaze from the cabinet maker. The threshold strip was a total artistic exercise. We wanted to match the hardwood, and that took lots of experimentation. I think it came out great!

The third photo shows the reason we did custom cabinets. The shelves are all deep enough for my 12x12 scrapbooks! Woot! We ordered the cabinets online, and assembled and installed them ourselves. We're very happy with the result.
Attachments
IMG_0582.JPG
IMG_0582.JPG (186.11 KiB) Viewed 653 times
IMG_0583.JPG
IMG_0583.JPG (98.42 KiB) Viewed 653 times
IMG_0584.JPG
IMG_0584.JPG (138.83 KiB) Viewed 653 times
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
pat-czap

Re: DIY library

Post by pat-czap »

Love this room Julie! The shelving is the best.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Great job, I love those deep shelves. Looks like you have lots of room too.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Yeah, there's lots and lots of random "stuff" currently filling some of the shelves, which are all entirely adjustable, so this should work for many many years of scrapbooks to come. One thing I realized, is that I can't actually fill a shelf completely with scrapbooks, because the middle three sets are wide enough that the weight of a full shelf of books would bend the shelf. So I can't completely fill it up with scrapbooks, but I can at least double my collection. So that makes me happy.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

It's perfect!
Pam Cook #48
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Wonderful job Julie! Doesn't it feel good to get a project completed.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Julie this looks great! I love the wall colour you've chosen, especially because that large window means it's not dark in there. It's a wonderful library/music room colour! And your shelves are perfect - the depth of them was the first thing I noticed.
Monica

Post by Monica »

What a great space, Julie! Love the bookcase!!
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
nancine

Post by nancine »

What a fantastic room, you did a fantastic job on that beautiful bookcase!