OMG - my fitness instructor is a scrapbook designer!

jfugina

OMG - my fitness instructor is a scrapbook designer!

Post by jfugina »

I'm Facebook friends with several of the instructors and classmates from the YMCA fitness classes I take, but I don't know much about them other than what they talk about in class and post on FB (which, for the instructors, usually has to do with the classes they're teaching). Well tonight, I saw a post from one of the instructors about how she's hoping to get back into her scrapbook hobby, and there was a link to her blog. I had NO IDEA - up until a few years ago, she split her time between being a fitness instructor and being a scrapbook designer. Most recently (but not since 2013), she was on the design team for Hip Kit Club (she said it was called Hip 2B Square Kit Club then). But she's also been on other design teams and has done "guest designer" appearances a few times since then. I was in awe. I went to look at her gallery on scrapbook.com, and even saw a zumba layout she did from an event that I attended. There was a photo on her layout that had me in it (I know this, because I downloaded that same photo from FB to do a page of my own a couple of years ago).

I couldn't believe it! I literally don't know anyone local who does any kind of scrapbooking anymore, save the occasional layout or two in the privacy of their own home. I don't expect that Deana and I will become instant scrapbooking buddies, but I was absolutely fascinated to learn that we have something in common other than being in the same place at the same time on Sunday afternoons to lift weights.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
pbp908

Re: OMG - my fitness instructor is a scrapbook designer!

Post by pbp908 »

Cool. The only people that I know who scrap are you guys and Bonnie. Either it's a huge underground/in-the-closet thing or we few are buying a boat load of supplies. :lol:
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Pretty cool. HipKit has been doing a lot of their own designs (and I love them all). You'll have to keep us updated.
Pam Cook #48
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

Sounds like fun that you might have someone to scrap with!! Hope you are able to do something together with her! I know it's lots of fun when I'm scrapping with Helen... and we need to do that more often.... but... yeah... more scrapping buddies would be super!!
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Cool!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Monica

Post by Monica »

pbp908 wrote:Cool. The only people that I know who scrap are you guys and Bonnie. Either it's a huge underground/in-the-closet thing or we few are buying a boat load of supplies. :lol:
People seem to be doing more planner-type things right now, from what I've seen. We were in Walla Walla for the weekend and stopped in Tri-Cities at Craft Warehouse to check out things. Mine closed almost 2 years ago and this is the first time I've made it to the other one in probably over a year. The front half of their scrapbook section was all planner stuff, then a row of alphas, from the marquee ones to chipboard to large wooden letters. And then a couple aisles of actual scrapbooking supplies. I was very disappointed, but I guess they have to go with the trend and what sells.

And Julie, very cool! I miss having people to scrap with myself.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

That's great Julie. Make sure she knows you, too, are a scrapbooker - it would be nice if there were opportunities for you to scrap together.
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Very cool! What's her last name so we can "creep" on her!
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Debbie J wrote:Very cool! What's her last name so we can "creep" on her!
LOL. She hasn't been active in the scrapping world for several years, but here is the link to her gallery on scrapbook.com:
https://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index ... s&u=218495
Julie Fugina
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

pbp908 wrote:Cool. The only people that I know who scrap are you guys and Bonnie. Either it's a huge underground/in-the-closet thing or we few are buying a boat load of supplies. :lol:
I feel like in-the-closet is kind of where scrapbooking is right now. Clearly there's demand for the product, but it's just not something I ever hear people talk about. Then again, my world of people I interact with face-to-face is pretty small. I work in software development, so most of my colleagues have hobbies that involve electronics or something technical. Most of the women I work with are full-time working moms, who don't have time for hobbies due to dedicating all of their off-time to kids' activities. And none of us see each other socially outside of work.

The people I do see outside of work are either girl scout people (most of whom I would never choose as a friend) and YMCA people (most of whom I'd never even recognize in "regular" clothes, makeup, and styled hair). So the chances that I'd actually hang out with them outside of that circle are pretty slim. But, I do enjoy knowing that Deana has an interest in scrapbooking - it gives us something to chat about in the few minutes we're waiting for class to start.
Julie Fugina
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Julie that is so great. I'll check the link out. And do let her know you're a scrapper too. Three years ago I began doing an aquafit class. A month into it I overheard one of the women say "stamping" and my head snapped to her direction. She's lucky she didn't drown in my wake to get to her and question her. Turns out at that time she was new to making cards and had jumped in feet first to being an SU demonstrator...just so she could get the supplies cheaper. We are now great friends and go to assorted card classes plus play together. Just today she delivered to me an order I placed with her. We've become such good friends that she and her husband do social things with us! So by all means inform her of your interest. You never know where it could lead.
FARLEY in Sacramento