the (almost) final reckoning

Keitha

the (almost) final reckoning

Post by Keitha »

With the new year just days away I'm reflecting today on my crafty accomplishments for 2015, which fell far short of my intentions back in January. Looking on the positive side, I did complete 46 12x12 pages, 1 mini-book and a few misc. mixed media projects, as well as 1 lonely card. I'm pleased that although my layout output was small, a big trip album which had been an ongoing project for awhile was completed.

I quite enjoy tracking my crafty accomplishments each year. I find it both motivating to see the numbers adding up, as well as helpful in figuring out not only my goals for the upcoming year, but how best to accomplish them. For 2015 I decided not to set a specific number of pages to do, but have discovered I accomplish more when I am working toward a set number. I've also realized that I need to have a major project to keep coming back to; once I finished that trip album my layout production pretty much dried up.

A big excuse for me in 2015 was the fact that I worked more than usual; I'm still trying to figure out how to get my crafting on when I'm working 60 hours/week - and more often than not staying away from home while doing so. In 2016 I'm going to try scheduling specific crafting time into my week, which to begin with will mean 60-90 min/day in the morning before I head into the office. As I'll be living at the hotel where I'm working for the next couple of months, that should be a doable goal.

I'm working on my specific goals for the next day or so: number of pages and perhaps a monthly project. I know my first hurdle will be just getting back in the groove; it's been so long since I made anything. Would love to hear what others' crafty goals for 2016 will be.
pamcook

Re: the (almost) final reckoning

Post by pamcook »

Keitha, I don't know how you do it! Marianne told me about your career (I only had an inkling of your responsibilities before).
I always enjoy seeing your creations so keep us updated, please!
Pam Cook #48
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

60 hour work weeks can put the brakes on pretty much anything outside of work. That's how I spent the first few months of 2015 - I know. Of course, I can't keep it up without going completely psycho on the people around me. So around June or so, I just stopped. stuff didn't get done, and I just started saying the honest truth about why. I'm still not completely crossed back into "happy employee" - management here might have ruined that completely. We're due for a new monarchy.

I think it's awesome that you're trying to work some crafty goals into your traveling schedule for work. I think if I traveled a lot for work, I'd have to figure out a way to bring some of that stuff with me - just for something to do so that I don't spend 18 hours a day working for lack of anything better to do.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
nancine

Post by nancine »

that sounds like you've really got things figured out Keitha!
I keep telling myself to "schedule creative time"!
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Best to you in accomplishing your goals Keitha! You have a very busy life for sure.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Spending 11 hours a day away from home is not conducive to creativity, especially when you come home wiped out. My big goal was to finish the calendar year book, which will be done as soon as I get some ink to print photos with. Well, done except for the cover page and recap page. :lol:

My goals are simple and all but non-existent - just create something, anything. Any time at all getting ink and glitter everywhere is a bonus.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Isn't that the truth?!
I just spent an hour working on my JYC pieces and I feel like a new person. I'd rather have a house full of family but it is what it is. Stamping and gluing and punching is my therapy.
Pam Cook #48