My crazy life

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
Keitha

My crazy life

Post by Keitha »

I've been pretty much MIA the past few weeks, so thought I'd pop in with a little update. After a glorious summer off I headed to North Bay in mid-August, about 2-1/2 hours from home, to start another Christmas movie. Given the distance I'm put up in a hotel, although I usually try to get home most weekends.

These Hallmark shows have a pretty tight schedule; we prep for 3 weeks, shoot for 3 weeks and then spend a week or so wrapping everything up. You may have seen the news article where Hallmark announced they will air 33 original Christmas movies this year; it seems with the political turmoil in the US their viewership has increased dramatically with folks who just want some feel-good television with a happy ending. Hallmark now have 3 channels on the air. "Christmas in Angel Falls" which we just shot will be one of them.

About a week after I got there we got the green light for a 2nd Christmas movie - and because they also want it to air this year we started prep on it while still filming the first one. That meant I was juggling 2 shows at once and my hours increased from 12/day or 60/week to about 14.5/day plus 8 or so on weekends just to stay on top of everyting - approx. 80 hours/week. Needless to say my weekends home were cut short or eliminated, and forget doing anything back at the hotel during the week other than maybe read for an hour and fall into bed. On the upside, I was earning two pay cheques simultaneously, one for each show.

I'm now finished with show #1, other than a few reports I need to finish up. As I've told my boss paper is passive; I can plan to work on them, but then when the phone rings with a situation that needs immediate attention the paper gets set aside. I won't get too accustomed to just one show though, as in another week we start prep on show #3 - again while we're still filming show #2. So I'll be back to the 80/hour work weeks for a few weeks. Good thing I really do like my job.

Needless to say my creative activities have temporarily ground to a halt. I've popped in occasionally to catch up on the message board, although haven't always had time to comment. Know my thoughts and prayers are with all of you dealing with health issues of your own and loved ones, or other concerns from either natural causes or man-made situations.

I am actually home today, having left the office early yesterday afternoon to attend the visitation for a good friend who passed away. It was a 4-hour drive down to Toronto and then another hour home afterwards, although sleeping in my own bed was a nice change. I'll head back up north early tomorrow with the thought of spending a few hours in the office in the late afternoon, although I do plan to take a detour to view the fall colours which are peaking on the east side of Algonquin Park, not far off my route.
Debbie J

Re: My crazy life

Post by Debbie J »

Keitha take care and don't over do!! Sounds fun though and when you love your job it helps!!
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

Hang in there.... just keep telling yourself the extra money will buy more craft supplies... whoohhhooooo!!!
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

nchoney wrote:Hang in there.... just keep telling yourself the extra money will buy more craft supplies... whoohhhooooo!!!
It would that, although this time the extra money is paying for my cruise to Alaska I booked for next May. Which will yield more photos to scrap 8-)
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

You are an animal Keitha!!! But as you say you love your work and not everyone can say that. Hope you get an occasional breather and can pop in to say hi. Your input here is always terrific.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Read your message to Joel who asked, "do they need an electrician?"
Pam Cook #48
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

Hi. My name is Sue and I'm a Hallmark movie addict. Keitha, I had no idea that you worked on these movies and I'm sorry you have to travel and put in such long hours, but thank you for whatever it is you do because I watch them all and enjoy every one of them. I think the one that is on tonight is new so I've already set the dvr since I won't be home to watch it.

I'm looking forward to the new movies this Christmas and re-watching the oldies, but goodies. I do hope, however, that you will get a break soon and can relax and get back to crafting.
Sue in NC (formerly known as Sue in Colorado)
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I should have mentioned that I love watching them too. Even more so now.
Do you take photos during production?
Pam Cook #48
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

My hubby Greg is a Hallmark movie junkie...or fan...you get it. ;) Christmas movies in general are a big favorite. He starts watching them on TV or from his vast dvd collection, before Halloween. But, as you know...they start earlier each year. :D

He also thinks some of the Die Hard movies are Christmas themed...sort of.

Hope you find time to simply relax Keitha.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Wow! Keitha you are super busy! I agree with what they all have said and what Debbie said - take care of yourself. You don't need to get sick.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Clearly I've been living under a rock and not paying a bit of attention. I didn't realize you were in the movie business. How very interesting! And exciting! But I agree with the others. Take care of yourself and try not to overdo it. I admit I don't watch much in the way of Hallmark movies, but that's not saying much because I watch very little TV overall. I'll be on the lookout for your projects though. I'm sure I'll be able to use a nice feel-good movie break around the holidays.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO