STL in the news

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
jfugina

STL in the news

Post by jfugina »

I'm not sure how much any of the crap going on in STL is making national news, but I wanted to pass along that for the most part, I haven't been negatively impacted. Many of the protests have been mere blocks away from where I work, so we were asked to go home early (before the protests started) a few times last week, and there have been a few other traffic disruptions, but for the most part, those suffering the most are our local businesses. It breaks my heart that there are businesses that are suffering because people are terrified to go wherever the protesters are gathering. And what's worse (not sure if this part is making the news), most folks aren't afraid of the protestors. They're terrified of the police.

Apparently, the metro stl police are about as corrupt as they come. And they're showing aggression against peaceful protestors. Granted, there are a few a$$hole protestors who always ruin the "peaceful" part of it, and they're the ones who make the news. But hundreds who are protesting legally are being arrested, and local business owners who have been attempting to show support for peaceful protestors near them, are being terrorized by the police force. There are several police groups outside of our area who think that a) the verdict was way wrong, and the officer was absolutely guilty of murder, and b) the stl police are currently behaving in an inexcusable manner during these protests.

Anyway, like I said - I'm fine, mostly because I'm choosing to keep myself out of the action. This isn't happening out in the suburbs where I live, and I don't generally stick around too late in the city (where I work). I am not denying the fact that there's a real issue in my area and in the nation, but I'm choosing to stay focused on my own microcosm right now and just stay out of it. So that's that.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
azemigh

Re: STL in the news

Post by azemigh »

It's not making our local news at all, our local news is full of forest fires, but we do see it on the national news sometimes. Sorry to hear that it is all happening so close to where you work, but glad that you are able to go home to a peaceful sanctuary. We seem to be on a slow boil right now that is close to bursting into a roiler. Hoping that saner heads prevail, I guess.
Monica

Post by Monica »

Glad to hear you're safe, Julie! And that is terrible for the local businesses.

I work with police officers every day and it aggravates them to see corrupt officers giving the rest a bad name too. It doesn't help that we have athletes like one of the Seahawks posting that he was targeted by cops during an active shooter incident response in Las Vegas because of his skin color, when in truth his behavior was suspect and they are trained to quickly deal with anyone who looks suspicious to prevent further bloodshed.

Too much hate and not enough tolerance. The different factions/parties/groups preach tolerance and acceptance but a fair number really mean that only so long as one agrees with their opinion.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
nancine

Post by nancine »

Glad to hear you're doing okay.

I have a friend who lives in St. Louis and she's been pretty "impacted" but is trying to stay positive. She also has commented on how the poor businesses are suffering.
She lives fairly close to Forest Park from what I recall. She posts instagrams from there all the time & I must say it is beautiful.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Nancy - my route home from work takes me down the west side of Forest Park, and that's where all of the police cars seem to be tonight. It was super slow getting to my highway because it seems that protesters were just starting to gather nearby.

The protest have been 99+% peaceful and very well organized, but there's some question about why people are being arrested who are NOT the people causing trouble. There are multiple reliable accounts of people simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time. And my opinion, is that police who are trying to keep the peace and maintain control of the situation, should NOT be marching. Sure, they have a right to free speech for their position as well, but I feel like if they're going to do that, they should organize to do so off-duty. If they're there to secure the peace, then marching and chanting by them is not part of the process (again, my opinion).

The other accounts that bother me, are the ones like the local businessman who has a story (with video) of being shot at by police with some kind of pellets after trying to offer water to protesters. It doesn't make sense. During a peaceful protest, it doesn't seem like police should have any reason to be on the offensive. It's a hard job to be sure, but I don't understand why some of them are handling the situation in the manner that's being reported and shown on video.

One thing I will say, is that the University is taking employee and student safety as their highest priority, with support of constitutional rights to be a close second. I appreciate that they're monitoring where the protests are being scheduled, and sending workers home if the protests might impact someone's ability to get home at their normal time. Saturday night the University put a University-owned apartment building about a mile off campus on lockdown because the protesting (which always has the potential to degrade to a riot) was near the building.
Julie Fugina
Monica

Post by Monica »

I totally agree that protesting officers should NOT do so on the clock or in uniform. I feel for you and everyone who lives there. Peaceful protesting shouldn't be treated like a violent mob.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Thanks Julie for letting us know how you are. We have been getting some news on our local stations. But of course the national news networks were broadcasting a lot of it, particularly the day of the verdict and next day.

Stay safe.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Just because someone has a badge and a uniform does not mean they are automatically right.

Now, to play Devil's Advocate - We've seen a ground swell of anti-police sentiments and actions in this country over the past 10 years. They've been maligned, attacked, threatened, and in some instances killed by those who have been called peaceful protestors. What we hear and see in the news completely depends on the political leanings of the network or news channel reporting it. Police and Highway Patrol and out everyday putting their lives on the line for those who attack them. They're over-worked, under-paid, and they're scared by what they're seeing. Yes, there are bad apples everywhere, but the actions of a few, like the actions of some "peaceful" protestors, have colored the perceptions of all. I have family who have been and are in law enforcement and in the judicial system. They do a difficult job every.single.day. with little or no respect, and their families are never sure if today will be the last day they can tell them they love them.

Personally, if I'm driving down a road that's blocked by protestors and I feel threatened - I'm going to drive straight over them.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

and then you have the scenario being played out here in the Triangle where most all the protestors are being bussed in form out of town and get paid to protest...
Pam Cook #48
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

It is a totally sad situation no matter what. Prayers for the safety of all.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Pam P - totally fair point. In St. Louis (probably true elsewhere too), we've had years of chicken and egg situations like this though. We have a lot of thugs, and police have to protect themselves, but we also have a lot of police who decide someone is a thug and go on the offensive. People in our community have been raised to fear police, and that doesn't seem right. We also have a lot of people who would argue the point that the people who are being shot are criminals. Totally true. However, the police don't have the right to act as judge, juror, and executioner. Thieves and drug dealers, by law, need to go to jail. Not instantly put down. That's not how our laws were written.

Now, this is not a blanket statement against police officers in general - not at all! I know plenty of good cops who want nothing more than to serve and protect their community. But sadly, our area has entirely too many of the "other" kind - those who think that the badge gives them immunity. And, while it's true that most of our local crime is committed by non-whites, it doesn't automatically mean that most of our non-whites are criminals. There is a bias in our community, unfortunately, and we have more than one or two police officers who act in accordance with that bias. We do have an issue that needs attention. Not only do I fear for my non-white friends, but I have had occasion to fear for myself when I'm with them. I hope that our local and state leadership and our protestors can figure out a way to have productive discussions, and that we can start to move towards a community who doesn't have to live in fear of each other.

Oh, and one last thing. My kids are completely colorblind. They've been raised in a house that has no bias against anyone, and my kids don't understand what's happening in the news. I can attempt to explain it to them, but they still don't get it. They've had friends of different colors and nationalities from the time they were toddlers. They just can't comprehend why someone would be treated differently because of their skin color. I really hope that continues to be their outlook, but even the fact that the issue is now more on their radar makes me extremely sad. I think it's going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better though.
Julie Fugina
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

It's not just your community that fears police, and I'm proud of you for raising your kids to be accepting of all. Awesome job Julie!! And Rob!
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Exactly what Farley said Julie!
Debbie J wrote:It's not just your community that fears police, and I'm proud of you for raising your kids to be accepting of all. Awesome job Julie!! And Rob!
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Children are born color blind - racism, hatred and intolerance are taught. My generation fought hard to end it, but this generation seems to be fostering it.

Strange that here in the small town South there is more tolerance than there is in the larger cities. We live, work, worship, play, shop - side by side. Our friends and co-workers are from all races. A lot of our families are multiracial. Our county and city governments are made up of people from all walks of life. Our law enforcement is the same. The only division is that made by a few individuals, and they're promptly taken aside by their mothers and grandmothers and straightened out. And I think that's why it works here - everyone knows someone who knows someone else who knows your family. Children are raised by the community. Family life is still a priority here. In large cities, you become an impersonal nameless face in the crowd. Wonder how much of the unrest is caused by that? By wanting to know that you have a face, a name, a voice?

And for God's sake, don't get me started on those with their own political agendas who are taking advantage of that.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com