Fires in the PNW

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
Monica

Fires in the PNW

Post by Monica »

If you haven't heard, a large percentage of Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Oregon, and parts of British Columbia, are burning away the trees we once had. https://www.fs.fed.us/science-technolog ... n-websites has a map of the US with fires. There appears to be a number of them on the east side of the country as well. Our air quality went to hazardous over the weekend and looks to be staying there for some time yet, for not just us but the entire state. The worst one to me was caused by some 15 year old kid playing with fireworks out on a hiking trail in Oregon, which is currently endangering the Multnomah Falls lodge along the Columbia Gorge between Washington and Oregon. A couple other large ones around me were lightning strikes in wilderness areas, which the DNR will not let firefighters in to battle because those areas are protected. I appreciate that, but at this point the air is killing all the critters they are trying to protect... the ones that survived the blaze anyway. The west half of Montana and the upper part of Idaho is a mass of fires as well. I've never seen it this bad. Not all at once.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
jfugina

Re: Fires in the PNW

Post by jfugina »

I've seen lots of posts from other friends on FB from the PNW with photos of the ash on their car. One friend in particular had moved from Oklahoma to Seattle and was just in love with her new environment. But she never expected this. It's terrible. I'm keeping fingers crossed that these fires get under control soon, and that my friends in that are all able to stay healthy given the air quality. :happy94:
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

I am so sad to see such devastation and the threat to wildlife. Northern CA is bad also. We have been under a smoke cloud for over a week. Delta breezes finally kicked in last night so I'm hoping the smoke will blow out a bit. Temps are lower too which makes it a little more bearable but the air quality has been so poor.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Monica

Post by Monica »

I saw that Northern California had fires too, Farley. Nasty stuff. We've been in the mid-90s with this crap, which isn't helping at all.

And Julie, I've got my air purifier running all out in the house, and I schlep it to work every morning to use it there too. The noise gives me a bit of a headache, but the alternative is using the inhaler every hour, and that I'm just not willing to do.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I can't find words to describe it all. "Catastrophic" just doesn't cover it. A 15-year-old certainly has no comprehension of the damage he's done - how could he? His poor parents. So many mixed feelings and I'm on the other side of the continent. Sure, trees will re-grow but it'll take decades.

So much tragedy in our country right now. So many people suffering loss. :(
Pam Cook #48
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Thanks for posting, Monica, I was going to write you to see how Yakima is faring in all this. My friend in Seattle wrote last night. She couldn't go outside yesterday because of the ash.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

So very true! Unfortunately it is going to get worse before it gets better. Too bad we can't send some of the rain from the east to all those with fires out west.

Prayers for all.
pamcook wrote:I can't find words to describe it all. "Catastrophic" just doesn't cover it. A 15-year-old certainly has no comprehension of the damage he's done - how could he? His poor parents. So many mixed feelings and I'm on the other side of the continent. Sure, trees will re-grow but it'll take decades.

So much tragedy in our country right now. So many people suffering loss. :(
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

It's very weird out here on the coast. Some days we get heavy smoke coming cup from the south and the afternoon wind will pick up and blow it all out over night, then the cycle starts again the next day. I break down in tears when I see the pictures of the devastation from the Multnomah Falls region. I've been on some of those trails and it just sickens me to think this was started by stupidity and foolishness.
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

I think, when it's all done, someone needs to take that 15-year-old around to many of the sites that have been burned... the forests and the homes. So he can truly see what his irresponsible action has caused.

So sad.... and so un-necessary.... and so horribly destructive.
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

nchoney wrote:I think, when it's all done, someone needs to take that 15-year-old around to many of the sites that have been burned... the forests and the homes. So he can truly see what his irresponsible action has caused.

So sad.... and so un-necessary.... and so horribly destructive.
Yes, and many years of community service for him and his friends.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

I think re-planting trees in the forest would be SUPER community service for them.
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Assuming that's how it all started, of course - still under investigation.

I'm so thankful we made the trip there last summer. It's unspeakably beautiful - or was. :(

I have to admit - I was shocked when I looked at a map of all the fires being fought. So strange the news media is ignoring it.
Pam Cook #48
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

The news media ignores a lot of things, or out-right lies about them. :angry48:

My friend in Arlington said it's really rough there today - smoke and ash. Just realized that I have another friend who lives close to Monica - my neighbor's daughter lives in Mossyrock. At least if I ever get to visit Wa. I have friends, and possibly family if Pam moves there, to visit. ;)
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

pamcook wrote:Assuming that's how it all started, of course - still under investigation.

I'm so thankful we made the trip there last summer. It's unspeakably beautiful - or was. :(

I have to admit - I was shocked when I looked at a map of all the fires being fought. So strange the news media is ignoring it.
Our news in the US is all so localized and insular. I'm glad I have friends in lots of different states and countries so I know what is going on with them and from their perspective.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

mpizzazz wrote:
pamcook wrote:Assuming that's how it all started, of course - still under investigation.

Our news in the US is all so localized and insular. I'm glad I have friends in lots of different states and countries so I know what is going on with them and from their perspective.
So true!
Pam Cook #48