As if I wasn't already lurking...

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
Monica

As if I wasn't already lurking...

Post by Monica »

Those of you on FB already know this, but for those who don't... I woke up Saturday morning with severe pain in my left shoulder. To the point of completely freaking out because Dave was flying and I couldn't function due to pain. I called a girlfriend and she took me to the ER to get checked out. Turns out I strained my ac ligament in the left shoulder. This is most likely the result of a nasty rolling tumble I took four weeks ago while out huckleberry picking, that hurt for a couple days then wasn't... but I am very left-handed and over time it strained the ligament more and more. Whatever I did in my sleep was the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak. Likely just twisted the wrong way or something.

So, I've been wearing a sling and keeping it basically immobilized until I could see my doctor this morning for a followup appointment, which also included not being at work because no typing other than one-handed, and really hard to drive with only one hand... try it and see! I was told by the ER doc to stay home anyway, so have been watching TV and catching up on some reading, because I can't even craft one-handed. :roll:

Doctor gave me the okay to go back to work tomorrow morning and to forego the sling unless I really need it for a bit. Because it's a ball and socket joint with that ligament, I'm to move the arm frequently, to avoid the joint freezing. I have a followup again next Thursday morning, and depending on progress she will decide then whether to send me to p/t.

And the :censor: thing still aches.... *sigh*
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pamcook

Re: As if I wasn't already lurking...

Post by pamcook »

I'm so sorry and I feel bad for not checking in with you.
Consider acupuncture. It's amazing how healing the treatments are.
It really sucks that you can't even scrapbook or make cards. All that time on your hands. So not fair!
:happy94:
Pam Cook #48
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Sorry to hear this Monica. I hope you heal quickly. Keep it moving, I had a left frozen shoulder before...not fun. One day I was fine, the next frozen.
Take care.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
nancine

Post by nancine »

Oh that sucks.
Having had an impingement I know that certain exercises help to strengthen the joint. It took me about 18 months to get fully (well it's never gonna be 100%) better.

continued exercise (even just walks around the block) helps keep the pain down too. I find if I don't my area will ache.
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Explore alternative therapies if you don't think you are improving as you should. You are a young woman and don't need to be kept down improving at a snail's pace to keep you in their medical system.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

So sorry to hear about this! I've got something funky going on with my right shoulder - nothing nearly as severe as you, but it's amazing how much you start to realize how everything you do with your hands goes through your shoulder.

Best wishes for fast healing!
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

best of luck healing
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Oh rats Monica! I can imagine what a bummer this is for you.

I too can commiserate from when I fell and fractured my left clavicle. After the surgery I asked the doc about PT and his response, once I was cleared to do so, was to do what I would normally do...housework, kayaking, etc. My shoulder for months wouldn't allow me to lift my arm higher than horizontal, forget vertical. But about 6 months after I started doing weekly water aerobics I discovered that I was able to lift my arm up all the way.

Take care and be good to yourself. Don't rush your recovery.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

I hate to hear this. It seems like everything involves your shoulder. I am a big believer in PT. They seem to know exercises that really make a difference in how fast you heal. Try to get some rest. It is hard to sleep with a shoulder injury.

Judy
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

What they all said. Hope you are soon able to more of what you want. Feel better!
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
Monica

Post by Monica »

Trixie wrote:I hate to hear this. It seems like everything involves your shoulder. I am a big believer in PT. They seem to know exercises that really make a difference in how fast you heal. Try to get some rest. It is hard to sleep with a shoulder injury.

Judy
You aren't kidding about hard to sleep. I miss a full night's sleep without waking up every hour or so! I'm doing what the doctor told me to, moving it around as much as I can and not adding stress to it.
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

You are being a good girl and following Dr's orders. Get well soon friend.
Monica

Post by Monica »

Update: Had a doctor appointment this morning. She checked range of motion, we talked about pain, stiffness and being sore... upshot is no p/t aside from what I was already doing, but I have a prescription for massages. ;) Such torture to be given a scrip for them! :lol: :lol:
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Monica wrote:Update: Had a doctor appointment this morning. She checked range of motion, we talked about pain, stiffness and being sore... upshot is no p/t aside from what I was already doing, but I have a prescription for massages. ;) Such torture to be given a scrip for them! :lol: :lol:
Oh, you poor thing, I bet you were devastated when she told you that. ;)
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Monica

Post by Monica »

mpizzazz wrote:
Monica wrote:Update: Had a doctor appointment this morning. She checked range of motion, we talked about pain, stiffness and being sore... upshot is no p/t aside from what I was already doing, but I have a prescription for massages. ;) Such torture to be given a scrip for them! :lol: :lol:
Oh, you poor thing, I bet you were devastated when she told you that. ;)
Completely..... :lol: