Power outage - Hatteras and Ocracoke Islands

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
nchoney

Power outage - Hatteras and Ocracoke Islands

Post by nchoney »

our power went out this morning around 4 a.m.... we've just had an update.... may not have power for several weeks.... due to an "oops" by the bridge-building company:

2:30PM UDATE: PCL Construction, the company constructing the new Bonner Bridge, has informed CHEC (Cape Hatteras Electric Cooperative) that they drove a steel casing into the underground transmission cable that runs between the south end of the Bonner Bridge and the overhead riser pole, causing the current transmission outage.

CHEC is working to assess the extent of the damage and plan for the repair. Assuming that the cooperative has the materials on hand, repairs could take several days to complete. If materials are not available locally, repairs could take weeks.

CHEC is currently providing temporary power to Buxton, Frisco and part of Hatteras Village via the diesel generating plant. The cooperative is bringing in additional portable generators to supplement the diesel plant. These generators will begin to arrive tonight. Once the generators are online, the cooperative will initiate rolling blackouts.

This will only be possible if load is at minimal levels and everyone is conserving. To minimize load, CHEC is asking residents and visitors to please TURN OFF AC units and minimize other electrical usage.
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
paddlegal

Re: Power outage - Hatteras and Ocracoke Islands

Post by paddlegal »

OMG Debi!!! That is just incredible! Well I hope they have the materials locally so you're only out for a few days not weeks.
FARLEY in Sacramento
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

I have a feeling we're looking at the "few weeks" scenario..... definitely not what I was hoping for in August.... now... just hoping we don't get a second kick in the butt with any named storms... I'll be cleaning up my house by candle-light, I guess ...
Debi Daugherty
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

:censor:
Debi. Do you have fans? What about major appliances (fridge/stove)?
:censor:
It's not so easy to find options when you have pets, either. So you can escape the heat while at work, right?
Pam Cook #48
clamscrapper

Post by clamscrapper »

Oh my, Debi. I just saw this on FB. What a mess. Do you have a generator? Is it out where you work? I hope they can get it fixed quickly.
Carol M (NC)

Check me out.
http://clamscrapperstudio.blogspot.com/

ImageImage
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

A huge yikes :censor: yikes :censor: yikes.

Hopefully a quick turn around in the repairs is on the way.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

O.M.G. :shock:
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

What a mess! We are used to losing power in the winter, but no power in the summer is way worse. There is no way to keep food fresh and it gets so hot. I feel so badly for you.
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Oh Debi that's awful news, especially if you're without power for weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed that you get through it with minimal discomfort.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Any thought of staying in a hotel for a week or so out of the immediate area? I hope you get some good news today.
FARLEY in Sacramento
nancine

Post by nancine »

That's awful, saw it on the news too. Sucks for those of you who live there and those that had vacations planned.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

My sister and her family were at Rodanthe - they're on the way home now.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

They're working 24/7 to get generators delivered to the area and to then get them up and running and supplying the grid. Ocracoke island had a huge generator that sustained irreparable damage when it was turned on because the load was too great. So... they've evacuated all non-residents so they can work to get some generators delivered and hooked up. We had a flicker of power last night and it came on right before I left the house this morning.. but not sure how long it stayed on. They're bringing in multiple generators to power each group of villages. I'm going to try to pick up some more fans today... so whenever we do have generator power, we'll have moving air. Thankfully the temps aren't in the upper 90s right now... but I'm sure the next few weeks will be getting warmer again.

We have two of our offices on the island... without power/phones... so some of their employees are making my morning commute and coming up to our main office to work. Thankfully, once they log their phone in as their extension, they get their office's calls.. regardless of where they're sitting... so this is providing some continuity to our guests and homeowners of all the rental properties.

Apparently there will be an investigation to determine exactly which numb-nut was responsible for this cluster. It will certainly kill the economy on the island if the power is out for a full 3 weeks or so. Many of our residents haven't recovered from the past several storms... hopefully they were having a banner summer and made some extra money.

I just keep hoping we don't have any storms... this is plenty of bad JuJu for now...
Debi Daugherty
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

nchoney wrote:They're working 24/7 to get generators delivered to the area and to then get them up and running and supplying the grid. Ocracoke island had a huge generator that sustained irreparable damage when it was turned on because the load was too great. So... they've evacuated all non-residents so they can work to get some generators delivered and hooked up. We had a flicker of power last night and it came on right before I left the house this morning.. but not sure how long it stayed on. They're bringing in multiple generators to power each group of villages. I'm going to try to pick up some more fans today... so whenever we do have generator power, we'll have moving air. Thankfully the temps aren't in the upper 90s right now... but I'm sure the next few weeks will be getting warmer again.

We have two of our offices on the island... without power/phones... so some of their employees are making my morning commute and coming up to our main office to work. Thankfully, once they log their phone in as their extension, they get their office's calls.. regardless of where they're sitting... so this is providing some continuity to our guests and homeowners of all the rental properties.

Apparently there will be an investigation to determine exactly which numb-nut was responsible for this cluster. It will certainly kill the economy on the island if the power is out for a full 3 weeks or so. Many of our residents haven't recovered from the past several storms... hopefully they were having a banner summer and made some extra money.

I just keep hoping we don't have any storms... this is plenty of bad JuJu for now...
I've been watching the forecast like a hawk. Our little group will do our part in the spring to help the economy! Thanks for keeping us updated.
Pam Cook #48
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

I've been watching the forecast like a hawk. Our little group will do our part in the spring to help the economy! Thanks for keeping us updated.[/quote]

After the last 3 weeks that I have had I am willing to do my part NOW - electricity or not! For your sake I hope they get a permanent fix soon.

Judy
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO