Oroville Dam emergency

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
pamcook

Oroville Dam emergency

Post by pamcook »

My cousin lives in this area - haven't heard from her yet. I think Yoli lived in Yuba City? Does anyone stay in touch with her?
How terrifying!!
I'm assuming all our PAO sisters are safe?
Pam Cook #48
nchoney

Re: Oroville Dam emergency

Post by nchoney »

I sure hope everyone actually evacuates.... I know it's difficult to do, but that kind of flooding would have disastrous results. Better yet... I hope they get the problem under control and don't have any damage to lives or property.
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
Monica

Post by Monica »

Yoli lives by Seattle. ;)
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

We are feeling safe here. But those could be famous last words. Actually, it would have to be quite a catastrophe to back up to the river I am near. Farley, however, is on the Sacramento River which could be more affected.

Hubby and I were planning a day trip up to the Sierra Nevada Brewery in Chico today. Obviously, that plan has been shelved.

Carol Anderson (or whatever her name is now) lives in the Yuba City area. Many are evacuated. It's right on the Feather River. I can't think of anyone else right now.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Carol! not Yoli (thanks Monica and Jennifer - who needs a memory when you have friends!).

They said this morning - a potentially "30 foot wall of water" could come rushing in a worst case scenario.
Pam Cook #48
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

I am appalled that the dam has been allowed to deteriorate to this level. Aren't they supposed to keep tabs on the spillway condition??? Don't get me started. I know where my tax dollars have been going.
nancine

Post by nancine »

The newspaper today was saying something about California needing to really pay attention to the infrastructure.
Apparently 10 years ago they were warned about the damn.

hopefully this new president will allocate federal funds to roads, bridges etc. throughout the country.
Maybe it can be like the WPA??
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

That's exactly my thought. My uncle worked on roads and bridges in the national parks. Always wonder where he may have placed a stone when I look at them.
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Not sure how accurate...but...I read an article from the Sacramento paper saying Trump may not provide $$$ to help out the state due to sanctuary cities and CA wanting to cut ties with the USA. ???? He has some serious issues with CA and Jerry Brown.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
clamscrapper

Post by clamscrapper »

I heard from Farley earlier today on FB and she said she was ok. She said she wasn't in any immediate danger.
Carol M (NC)

Check me out.
http://clamscrapperstudio.blogspot.com/

ImageImage
nancine

Post by nancine »

pat-czap wrote:Not sure how accurate...but...I read an article from the Sacramento paper saying Trump may not provide $$$ to help out the state due to sanctuary cities and CA wanting to cut ties with the USA. ???? He has some serious issues with CA and Jerry Brown.
I'm sure he doesn't want to give us anything, and now he's pissed at the Ninth Circuit court based in San Francisco :roll:
Here's the article http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article131090234.html

I think he will have a hard time de-funding any state.
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

nancine wrote:
I'm sure he doesn't want to give us anything, and now he's pissed at the Ninth Circuit court based in San Francisco :roll:
Here's the article http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article131090234.html

I think he will have a hard time de-funding any state.
Thanks for the link Nancy.

Such crazy a$$ times we are living in now. I hope it all works out for the best, for all of us.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

hopefully everyone gets to safety that needs too

It seems like California is slowly sliding off
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

As Carol mentioned we are fine. I heard from Carol Anderson on FB that she did indeed evacuate and is somewhere here in Sacramento. A 30 minute drive took her 3.5 hours. It was a mess seeing all those cars fleeing the area on the news. The lake level has gone down enough now that early this morning it stopped spilling over the damaged emergency spillway. This is the first time in the dam's 50 year history of needing to use the emergency spillway. My guess the engineering technology has changed in 50 years. They are now filling giant bags of boulders for helicopters to dam the broken emergency spillway.

The Feather River eventually flows into the Sacramento River above us. It was so high yesterday afternoon (we walked up to see it) before this disaster began. It will rise more. I kept my phone on all night in case there was any emergency warnings. We live only a mile from the levee which was worked and "improved" on about 10 years ago. We are due for yet another series of storms starting on Thursday for several days again.

If there was a serious threat for the Pocket levee to be breached the levee on the west side would be blown out to let the water flow out through agricultural land.
FARLEY in Sacramento
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Glad to hear you're safe Farley, and that others you know are accounted for.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO