Public Service Announcement

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
pamcook

Public Service Announcement

Post by pamcook »

http://masteringdiabetes.org/summit/

Eliminating animal products & fats from my diet has made a world of difference in my health. My doctor was skeptical until she started seeing my numbers. I didn't want to hear it until I had to do something drastic to take control of my health. So, if you're in that place, here's some help.
Pam Cook #48
Debbie J

Re: Public Service Announcement

Post by Debbie J »

Thank you for this great information!
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

glad you are doing so well
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Awesome Pam! :happywave: :happywave: :happywave: You know how happy I am for you.

I love how skeptical the general medical population is of this and then you come along and straighten them out. :lol: Bob did the same. I got my email from them today also.

I know 11 of those people on the list, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn being my #1 hero in changing our lifestyle for the better.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I "get it". It's a drastic change but I see it from the other side as well. When I ask physicians why they don't "prescribe" this lifestyle change, they will simply say, "Because the patient only wants their symptoms treated. They don't want to get rid of the disease. They want to keep doing what they want to." On top of that, you have our tax dollars promoting/supporting the major industries - cattle (meat), dairy, egg... Have you noticed how the prices of eggs dropped dramatically recently? IN THE MIDDLE OF WINTER? Yes, they received money from your paycheck so they could "afford" to lower their prices (mind-blowing). And unhealthy food can really taste good (and it's so easy to get - cheap and greasy).

And I will now step down from my soap box.
Pam Cook #48
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

The information you and Farley have given me has created a new life style for me. Sometimes I do get flustrated on the lack of what I "need" because it's not easily accessible where I live.

But that is about to change, at least for a couple months. I will have access to Sprouts, Trader Joe and an endless supply of farmers markets. Plus my exercise place right across the street only charges 10.00 a month when you turn 60 and it's free at 65. Yay
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

And I forgot to mention I have lost 50 pounds so far! Another 20 Ana I'm at my goal.
nancine

Post by nancine »

Oh yippee :happywave: for you Deb! That's an accomplishment for sure.
Hard work has paid off!

It's a hard thing to change: the way you eat. The way you were taught. The things you learned that have now changed. It's also hard work to come up with tasty meals that all the family enjoys/will eat. Loads of conflicting information out on the inter-webs too! I like to add some good fats (avocado, olive oil, almonds, a few olives) to my diet for my brain, skin etc.
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Yes, I love nuts and seeds. I make a bowl every couple weeks to snack on. It includes pumpkin seeds, pine nuts, almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, pecans! Makes a yummy mix.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I can't do fats. My blood sugar can't handle them.
Pam Cook #48
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

It is so confusing. Lately, I have been bombarded with the low carb high fat message. This is so hard for me to believe when my entire life I have been told that fat is bad. I was even told that studies show low fat causes inflammation and heart disease. Why all the contradictory statements??

Judy
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

I personally think that genetics play a big part in how our bodies metabolize these foods. My husband is 82 years old and is as healthy as anybody I know. He has eaten what he wanted all his life and smoked like a house on fire for 50 of those years. By all rights, he should be a dead man. His 10 year younger brother died eighteen years ago. All we can do is be careful and eat sensibly. Some of us are lucky. And some of us are not.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Debbie and Pam I am so happy for you both. Lifestyle changes are hard but they are doable. The rewards are definitely worth it all as Bob and I discovered 9 years ago and continue to enjoy. Way to go you two! :greenbounce: :greenbounce:
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

More and more research (not funded by Big Pharma and/or Big Animal product industry) shows the health benefits of avoiding animal products and fat. "The fat you eat is the fat you wear". High fat diets put you in a chronic state of ketosis which burns up your kidneys in the long run. Sure, you'll lose weight and muscle tissue so therefor lose pounds but the goal should be to gain health. Weight loss is a happy side effect of a healthy body - along with losing diabetes (type 2, of course), heart disease, arthritis, and other auto-immune diseases. Just look at how many Olympic athletes are switching to a vegan (whole plant, something-something) diet.

Some of us are extremely efficient at storing fats - proven over and over by medical science. We develop type 2 diabetes, hypertension, hypercholesterol (ultimately, coronary artery disease) - the Big 3 - the "million dollar patients" as we're known in the medical field. We are work roughly $1million each to their practices. Well, I resent that label and refuse to participate. And I've learned over my lifetime that I can't do anything "sensibly". Fats/animal products are toxic to my body. I want to live a long healthy life. :)

Again, stepping down from my soapbox.
Pam Cook #48
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

I applaud your lifestyle change, Pam, and Debbie, and anyone else who makes changes to be healthy. All I'm saying is there are some fortunate folks who go through life paying no attention at all and still live to a ripe old healthy age. Genetics play a role.