Has anyone ever had a pet with 3 limbs?

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
Trixie

Has anyone ever had a pet with 3 limbs?

Post by Trixie »

I am hoping one of you has had some experience with this. My 21 year old cat was diagnosed with cancer in Dec. She is feeling fine, eating, etc., but has a lump in her groin that is growing. It effects how she walks and can no longer jump. Her lungs are clear and they don't believe it has spread. They recommend taking her leg at the hip. The doctor says animals don't have the sentimental attachment to their limbs that we do and tend to do really well with amputation. I have gone to this vet for years and really trust her.
I asked if this was for the cat or for me. The vet said what will happen if we don't do it is that the tumor will rupture, a painful sore will develop, the cancer will spread, and it will be too late then for the surgery. There will be pain either way, but, in her experience, the pain from the amputation is short lived (about a week & controlled with drugs) and can be controlled where as the pain from the rupture will be constant and grow worse as time goes by. I have seen 3 limbed animals before and they seemed fine.
I don't know what to do. I can't see putting her to sleep now because she is doing ok, but on the other hand amputation seems so drastic. The vet thinks she will make it through the operation, but if she doesn't at least it would be a painless way to go. On. The other hand, ignoring the vet's recommendation and letting her go until she is in so much pain that I have to put her to sleep seems cruel.
So, my question for you is, has anyone ever done this, had any experience with a three legged animal, know someone I can reach out and talk to about this??? I have had this cat, Clementine, and her sister, Molly, since they were kittens. I lost Molly in September to kidney failure and that was really hard. I think it makes me want to fight even harder to keep Clem, but not at her expense. Speaking of expense... I just don't care. I am not made of money, but she has been a very healthy cat and I don't care what it costs. I just want to do the right thing for her. I owe it to her. After talking to the vet I was convinced that amputation was the way to go. Now, in the middle of the night, I am second guessing everything. Sorry, this is really off topic, but does anyone know anything about this?

Judy
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
mpizzazz

Re: Has anyone ever had a pet with 3 limbs?

Post by mpizzazz »

I don't have any personal experience, Judy, but I've seen plenty of 3 legged dogs and they seem to get around just fine. It's a hard decision given her age, the expense and the fact that she might have a similar lifespan to her sister. I hope someone here has some good advice for you.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Our first Golden Retriever had to have a leg amputated at the hip. He was still the fastest dog on the street. :lol: The college kids called him Tripod - he went with them on their trail rides. (Silly dog loved horses.) He lived until he was 16 and broke everyone's heart by crossing the Rainbow Bridge.

Go ahead and have it done. BRD had all but given up before the surgery - he was a changed dog afterwards in that he regained his love of life and play.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Judy, I love that you love her enough to really think this through. I hate that you have to make such a decision.

I would do it. She brings you joy and she has a good life. More time with her (pain free and healthy) is priceless.
Pam Cook #48
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is exactly what I was hoping someone would say. If she were younger the decision would be more clear, but I was afraid I was putting her through this for my sake and I don't want to do that. She could have another couple of years. The vet says she is in really good health considering her age. If it weren't for the fact that they have her records from day one showing how old she is they say they would never think she is 21. They say that the pain will be controlled and healing for a removal at the hip will be fairly quick - apparently, easier than mid leg.

I do think it it in interesting what the vet said about people having a sentimental attachment to limbs, but animals don't. She said the owners come in and start crying when they see their pets, but the animals just get up and start walking around. Please say a prayer for Clementine. I appreciate you guys so much!!!

Thank you,
Judy
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

I just wanted to update you. Clementine had her back right leg amputated on Tuesday. She came through the surgery fine. She came home Thursday evening. They think they got all the cancer and her incision looks wonderful - no redness or anything. She is eating, going to the bathroom, and meowing up a storm. She can hop a couple feet, but then her remaining leg gives out and she drags herself along. I am hoping she will get stronger in the left leg so she can get around better. My other animals are being good with her...as in they pretty much just ignore her. She likes sitting beside me on the couch and eating. I have to make myself put her down and make her walk around to exercise her leg.

As for me, this has been such a hard, emotional week. I am tired mentally and physically. The vet says Clementine will recover before I do! Pam, I have thought about your dog 100 times this week. Thank you for sharing your story. It has helped me.

Judy
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Red was one of a kind and I'm so glad he's still helping from the Bridge!

You're now going to become a cat therapist. Help her exercise her leg while she's lying down - just some light stretches, nothing rigorous- to help strengthen those muscles. It'll take a little while for her to learn to rely on that one leg and to perfect her balance, so don't be surprised if you see her doing funny things with her tail while she's adjusting. Lady holds her tail close to her bad hip to give her a little nudge for support (arthritic). If she gets too tired to get to the litter box and food, it's OK to give her a hand. That will improve as the weeks go by. She's early on with these changes, so she's going to need you right now. Don't beat yourself up for helping her.

Animals compensate so much better than we do. We had put poor Red through 8 hours of surgery trying to save the leg before ultimately having to amputate. On talking with another vet later, he said that most surgeries like that are more vanity than anything else, in that the dog (or cat) doesn't care - they just want to get on with things. Outside of unconditional love, maybe that's another lesson we need to learn from our hairy babies.

Sing of verse or two of My Darling Clementine to her for me. ;)
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

my dd had a cat with 3 legs did just fine
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

I sang to her Pam and she meowed along with me. :-) One interesting side note. They amputated the same leg on a goat the day after they did Clementine. They showed me a picture of him the next day. He was standing and reaching out to eat some important papers that were lying nearby.

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement.

Judy
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO