Thinking about resolutions

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
jfugina

Thinking about resolutions

Post by jfugina »

I really shouldn't even bother - every year it's the same - get more exercise, watch my weight (or in most cases lose some), spend more time being creative, and try to be happier. The past 2.5 years have been rough, as most of you all know. Work has been stupid, and I've not been surviving the middle school years with any grace at all. Next year can NOT be more of the same, because I'm worried that my health is going to start to fail if I don't make some kind of real change.

Work is getting better - that's for certain. The past 6 months have actually been relatively great. I don't think I've brought my computer home and worked in the evening more than once or twice since about May. Our organization has started to settle in its restructuring efforts, and we're starting to come to grips with our new identity and what it means. For my part, it means good things, including a new boss who has been awesome. We've still got a ways to go, but the improvement over 2014-15 is mind blowing. However... those two years did a lot of damage. I quit caring about what I ate.. like AT ALL. I just couldn't be bothered with one more thing to stress over. And I drank. A LOT. Like, 4-5 bottles of wine per week. It started in late 2014, and it didn't take long before it was a habit, and the thing I looked most forward to after getting home from work.

But, it needs to stop. I've gained nearly half of the weight back that I lost 5 years ago. I still go to the YMCA, but only once a week, which makes my $70/month family membership a total waste of money. So resolution #1 is going to be to get back to a 3x/week exercise schedule, at a minimum. If we can do a little bit of basement clean-up, I can even do some of those sessions at home (equipment currently blocked by piles of crap). And I'm really hoping that if I can get going on resolution #1, that it will lead into resolution #2, which is to quit sabotaging my efforts with food and wine. I'm not even going to say that resolution #2 is to lose weight - not at first. I just need to cut way back on the wine and potato chips and frozen pizza and anything else that's processed and has little nutritional value.

#3 is to get back to crafting, which should come naturally if I can get #1 and #2 established. I've spent the last two years with a glass of wine and a remote control. It hasn't been that I haven't had the time to craft. I just haven't had any desire to do anything that would take me too far away from the kitchen. If I can get back into the habit of just going downstairs, then I'll start doing something with my hands other than hold a glass. This year, crafting will actually be good for my health.

#4, again, will be to try to be more happy. Eating makes me ridiculously happy, and wine tends to help me "unclench". And I'm looking to get rid of that particular source of happy. Not good. And, 2017 is when we become high school parents. We need to find a way to buckle up and enjoy the ride. I haven't entirely figured this one out yet. But I suspect that the continued positive improvements in work life will help. I'm also pondering signing up for some night classes next fall - nothing academic - it won't help my career. But maybe I'll finally enroll in a foreign language class. Or, sign up for the "glass sampler" class (part of the Fine Art program), where you get to learn how to blow glass and do lampwork. If Jake can start taking the bus home after school next year (5th grade) and he and Nicole can agree to not kill each other in the hour before we get home, then I think I can maybe work in one class per semester.

Anyway - those are my goals for 2017. They haven't changed from recent years, but this year, it's more important that I take them seriously.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Debbie J

Re: Thinking about resolutions

Post by Debbie J »

You can do this!
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Julie I commend you for recognizing areas that you know you need to change and like Debbie says, you CAN do this. It just takes some real planning ahead so you're not falling back into old habit. It's also helpful if you can get your family on board with this too. It will be good for everyone and what a wonderful example to your kids.

I stopped making resolutions years ago but rather "changing my habits" to get where I want.
FARLEY in Sacramento
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

Great plans for the new year!!

Mine are a bit more simple....
(1) stay on the eating plan that I have going.... my blood glucose is down and I feel MUCH better after only 6 weeks.
(2) start moving more again - whether walking or using the treadmill or using my new step aerobics thing.... just need to start moving!
(3) keep scrapping and cardmaking.... finish getting things unpacked and then organized again... and then start using all the new tools I've gotten (and the stash)

So - just some life plans... not really resolutions! :-)
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I don't make resolutions - they're just one more thing that I end up feeling guilty about not doing.

I used to drink quite a bit (ignore the reCreate wine bottles, please - those were exceptions). One morning I woke up with my head pounding and put my foot through a hole in my jeans that I didn't remember being there. I said "no more" and I pretty much quit. These days I'm a cheap drunk - I seriously doubt if what I drink in a year would fill one bottle.

As for food - yes, it can be a comfort, but it can also be a loaded bullet. I stress eat and need to loose between 100 - 125 pounds right now. I get no exercise at all thanks to the bum knee, but the catch 22 to that is the stupid thing would feel better if I could get the weight off.

Creativity? That flies out the door when you're depressed and stressed.

Julie, you can make those life changes. Work stress is finally easing up and the kids are growing up.

Trust what you've taught them. Let them "kill" each other for an hour. You'll be surprised at how soon they quit doing that if you just leave them alone and let them work it out. Ignore their "he did this" and "she did that" calls. It'll do them good.

Put down the wine glass. You might need a Tylenol PM to help you get to sleep for a week or so, but amazingly enough you soon won't miss it, you'll loose weight, and your kidneys will thank you.

Go to the gym. Release those good pheromones. Besides that, it's better stress relief than the wine.

I believe in you.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
clamscrapper

Post by clamscrapper »

I've found that the best way I can deal with stress is exercise. Walking and swimming are my go to's.
Carol M (NC)

Check me out.
http://clamscrapperstudio.blogspot.com/

ImageImage
nancine

Post by nancine »

You can do it, but it is not easy. They say it takes 28 days to form a habit so you have to keep trying.
If you fall back, start right back again - one bad day doesn't mean you can blow off the whole week!

Last year one thing I told myself I wanted to do was take more classes, specifically at LSS. Well I never did. So this week I signed up for my first one, just a Lawn Fawn 2 hour card class but it should be fun.
It's not until February though 8-) I usually can talk myself out of taking a class: wrong timing, too much $$, maybe it's not my "thing". I need to let go of all that and just go and enjoy and perhaps learn something I like!

I don't have resolutions, but a few goals. Mainly in the healthy eating and exercise arenas. Since our boot camp class has been on break for two weeks (community center closes) I've actually meet with the trainer each Monday & Wednesday to work out on the bleachers @ the track. Staying consistent - that's my goal. But I like the price of the group class better ;) $9 vs. $40!

Oh a another goal - participate in the Christmas card challenge each month here so I am not scrambling like this year to get cards done and sent!
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Thanks everyone! Resolutions/goals/things I want to accomplish - I don't put a ton of stock in whatever word is chosen - it's all just the same to me. Getting started is the hardest part. I love food. I really don't love exercise. So I'm trying to convince myself that I need to replace something that makes me happy with something that doesn't. I've been a member of our YMCA for nearly 3 years now, and I've been attending group exercise classes that whole time. And I still don't *love* going. I only go because I feel stupid wasting all that money on membership when I don't go. I know full well that if I quit that membership in favor of my treadmill at home, that the treadmill would still sit and collect dust.

So it's going to be tough. My only motivation right now is that none of my clothes fit, and I detest clothing shopping more than nearly any other activity out there. I'm wearing pants that are beyond too tight. It would take months of dedication for those clothes to be comfortable again, but possibly months to find suitable replacements as well. So that's what I need to cling to. I will never get addicted to exercise, and I will never come to feel full (or even sated) after a "reasonable" portion of anything and I will never get to the point where I gleefully choose whole foods over something deep fat fried. I did all of that consistently for 18 months, and it never ever ever made me happy. It made me sad/angry/resentful. And the exercise didn't make me feel better. It made me hurt all the time. I was actually far less happy as a 10/12 who was always hungry and in pain, than a size 16/18 sitting on the couch eating an entire frozen pizza.

So I'm dreading it, but I know it needs to be done. Thanks to all for the words of encouragement and support. :happy94:
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I love food, too, so portion control is going to be hard for me. The only upside to any of this "pounds gotta go" is that I love Caesar salads almost as much as I do potatoes. :lol:
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Hang in there Julie, and all others who have goals in mind.

I have been eating better to suit my gut issues. I find food combining is working for me, I have lost weight, feel so much better, but it isn't for everyone. The combining can be a pain in the A$$ at times, but in the end, it is worth it to me. Google rather saved my life earlier this year when I found many sites devoted to this. This time last year till May I had some absolutely terrible times. I am blessed to NOT have issues with alcohol, although alcoholism runs deep in my family. So you gotta do, what you gotta do. My other "bad" habits, quirks, etc...I'll continue to work on.

Wishing all the best for all of us in 2017. May we continue on the road to well being...body, mind and spirit!
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA