Earthquake

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
Monica

Re: Earthquake

Post by Monica »

I don't tend to notice them much, not the smaller ones anyway. Alaska shakes on a regular basis, and after a while you just get immune to anything less than a 5 or so. My sis will get awakened by BIL telling her there was a quake and she looks at him like he's nuts. :lol:

Personally, I'll take the occasional quake over hurricanes, tornadoes, typhoons.... you can keep all that crap!
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Far enough inland and you don't have to worry too much about the hurricanes. Unless you work in Lumberton, but that was a 1,000 year flood, or so they say. We were over 200 miles from the Va. earthquake, which was what made that one so strange. I had no idea you could feel them so far away that strongly. I understand that there is a fault line in NC/SC, and Charleston was hit by a strong one about 150 years ago.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

nancine wrote:
azemigh wrote:Glad to hear that you are ok, Farley. Having lived in Berkeley for 9 years and being there during the 1989 quake, I understand what you're saying. You never get used to them, you just recognize them more easily.
Exactly! The '89 was a big one... and there was a fairly big one in '84 when I was preganant and over-due with Dana. My Mom thought surely that would induce labor :lol:
They are still scary. When they start you wonder if it will be over quick or brace for something worse.
We were season ticket holders for the Giants that year and had tickets to the World Series games, but we sold the earthquake game in order to pay for all of our playoff tickets. As a result we were home at the time of the quake and the guy who bought the tickets was at the ball park instead of being on the freeway that collapsed as that was his commute. I thought our apartment building was going to fall, Paul and I were outside playing in the courtyard and the 2 building swayed toward each other twice before settling back. Scariest situation I've ever been in.
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

That is quite a story about the earthquake game, Rachelle! :shock:
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

That was a horrific event. We lived in San Diego at the time. Drove up to Lake County the day after. I remember seeing people along the way who had obviously been affected by the quake. Everyone looked to be in a state of shock. I've probably told you all 100 times but after that, every time I drove across the Golden Gate bridge, I was terrified another quake would hit.
Pam Cook #48
nancine

Post by nancine »

Rachelle, what a story! Thank God that guy wasn't on the Cypress, such a disaster with the pancaked freeway. Our car was jumping up & down on the driveway. A file cabinet fell on my x-Ray table at work (I only worked am) but Dr. Julie saw her last two patients that day in the parking lot, :lol:
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

I've experienced 3 earthquakes that I was aware of, one in Toronto and 2 in other countries. I think you notice them more if you're in an earthquake-proof building as I was in Toronto in 2010; they have more sway built into them or something. It was like I was in a rocking chair at my desk. We did evacuate the building although everything was perfectly fine, and then couldn't go back in until the fire department did a thorough check and gave us the all clear. One time I was in Wellington, NZ; again we were fine, but I didn't like the idea of being so far from home when it happened. They're a common occurrence there as well, as NZ sits on top of a huge fault line.

The first time, in Mexico in the mid-80's, is kind of a funny story. A group of 5 of us were on vacation together, including my best friend and her sister. It was around 2 am; I'd gone to bed, my friend and our other roommate were sitting on the balcony. They sure scrambled back in the room in a hurry when it hit; the quake woke me up so I don't really remember the shaking, although it knocked out the power half-way around Acapulco Bay, from the hotel next to us all the way to the other end. I just wanted to go back to sleep but my best friend insisted we go down to the lobby. It bears noting that alcohol had been consumed throughout the evening. I got up and we headed out - taking no purses, passports or anything essential; the one thing my friend grabbed was the bottle of tequila. As we headed toward the elevator, I asked if she was going to collect her sister and her sister's friend from their room. Nope, she decided to let them sleep. Probably half the hotel guests made their way downstairs where the hotel opened the lobby bar and we partied for awhile before all heading back to bed. The next day I'd have almost believe I dreamt the whole thing, except everywhere we went the locals kept asking us if we felt the earthquake the night before.

I keep meaning to scrapbook that; I even have a page design and title in mind.