Weekend Before Thanksgiving

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
paddlegal

Weekend Before Thanksgiving

Post by paddlegal »

Hellooo...anyone out there? :lol: I'll start our weekend "what are you doing" thread.

I am happy to say it is raining here and it's to continue through tomorrow. It's that kind of day to stay indoors, drink hot lattes and get crafty. We are also supposed to go to one of our local winery's Pick Up Party for this quarter's wine club selection. We'll see about that one. We can always pick it up another day. My main task this weekend is to shop for all my do ahead ingredients for Thanksgiving dinner. Our Sacramento Food Co-op has just reopened in a new building that looks pretty wow, so must start my shopping there.

Thanksgiving menu:

Mushroom Lentil Loaf with Bone Suckin' Sauce served over steamed kale
Green beans with tamari/sesame/honey glaze
Baked Japanese sweet potatoes
Spinach greens with Garlic Mustard Dressing
Assorted whole grain breads
Apple Berry Crumble
Chocolate Pumpkin Brownies
Lots of wine

Seeing this written here, I better get moving! :shock:
FARLEY in Sacramento
Debbie J

Re: Weekend Before Thanksgiving

Post by Debbie J »

Can I come? I can be there by Thanksgiving!! Sounds divine!!

We are just trying to stay warm, it's freezing out there. I have to do some grocery shopping for Thanksgiving. It's going to be traditional so I am going to figure out something to bring I can eat. I am making my green bean casserole and a relish tray plus this salad I found on Pinterest that looks yummy.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/175570085453585771/
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

What time should I be there?
It sounds so delicious!

We're going up to Ohio - last minute plans. My task is to bring water and rolls. I think no one wants to be surprised by a vegan. I am however, going to make a quinoa wild rice & squash casserole and I hope no one else wants any. Honestly not sure if it will survive the trip - I might eat it on the way up.

Just finished my Pocket Letter and my card for my secret sister. Next is a birthday card for Kenan. We painted our hallway last night - hoping the guys show up Monday to install the hardwood flooring. Tomorrow I'm going to do a Run/Walk benefit (yeah, me) and then we have to go to a memorial service for our neighbour. I still have to wrap Christmas presents. Why do I do this to myself?!?!? I leave for the UAE on 12/15 to visit my daughter and her family - get home on 12/24. Thank goodness for direct shipping. Manned, bless her heart will wrap all their gifts as they arrive. When will I find time to pack? Where is my to-do list!?!
Pam Cook #48
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

Yum. Everything sounds delicious. We will be doing a VERY non-traditional meal this year. It's only three of us and I really didn't feel like spending hours cooking and cleaning up, so I'll save the turkey or roast and all the trimmings for Christmas when my oldest son is with us. Instead I ordered Lou Malnati's Chicago style deep dish pizza (the best deep dish pizza) and Chicago style hot dogs. I also bought a new 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle that I will put out on the dining room table Thursday morning for the three of us to work on and hopefully we'll have a nice relaxing day.

I've been working on my cards for the Christmas card swap. Almost done.
Sue in NC (formerly known as Sue in Colorado)
clamscrapper

Post by clamscrapper »

We're leaving Tuesday morning heading to the mountains. We'll spend the day with hubby's mom and then on to the farm where we'll spend the rest of the week with our friends. She has a traditional Thanksgiving on Wednesday night for 15-20 family and friends. Betty and I will cook all day getting ready. We're always tired by dinner but have a good time getting everything ready. Can't believe that next week is Thanksgiving. Where have the last few months gone?

Hope everyone has a wonderful, safe holiday.
Carol M (NC)

Check me out.
http://clamscrapperstudio.blogspot.com/

ImageImage
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

I haven't done a jigsaw in years, sounds like fun!
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

We're doing our traditional non-traditional Thanksgiving - ribs, potato salad, grilled herbed corn on the cob, asparagus, and cheesecake. I'm lucky if the boys eat turkey once a year, so we save that for Christmas.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

going to my brothers house for Thanksgiving
they are staying home due to his health
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Debbie J wrote:Can I come? I can be there by Thanksgiving!! Sounds divine!!

We are just trying to stay warm, it's freezing out there. I have to do some grocery shopping for Thanksgiving. It's going to be traditional so I am going to figure out something to bring I can eat. I am making my green bean casserole and a relish tray plus this salad I found on Pinterest that looks yummy.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/175570085453585771/

YES you are very welcome to come join us Thursday! You too Pam and anyone else who wants an alternative dinner. :lol:
FARLEY in Sacramento
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

It's turned colder here and the big mid November wind has arrived to blow off the last of the leaves. It's a beautiful sunny day and the leaves sparkle.

Not much happening here. We had friends over for dinner last night so much cleaning and food shopping has taken place over the last few days. Today will be a day of sewing for me and music listening for Ray. Tomorrow we'll worry about the holiday week.

We'll have a traditional Thanksgiving dinner with turkey and our favorite side dishes and a pumpkin cake roll for dessert. We like champagne to drink with dinner since the house gets so hot from the oven.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Here you all are preparing for Thanksgiving - which was over for me weeks ago. Gotta say I'm very glad that ours is earlier; I understand that it's the kick-off to the whole holiday season for you in the US, but I like having them spaced further apart.

Very busy weekend for me. Friday I went to a craft show an hour from here and then popped in to visit a friend who just moved before she heads to the Caribbean for the winter, both en route to collecting my grandson from college for the weekend. Got home just in time to go to my field naturalists' monthly meeting in the evening. We had a presentation on Gull watching in Ontario where it's possible to find 22 of the world's 50 species; 13 or 14 of them have been spotted along our local waterfront. Saturday morning we had a field trip to said waterfront; the find of the day was a Pacific Loon which is a rarity for these parts, but we had an expert ornithologist with us who confirmed the sighting. Several species of gull were present, along with rafts of common loons who congregate here in preparation for their winter migration. Saturday afternoon I got my hair cut. My middle grandson turns 13 this week; Sunday morning I baked cupcakes for his party which was a lunch/afternoon affair so that his older brother could get back to school and I could get to my choir rehearsal Sunday evening. Was glad to have a fairly open day today, as my dance card's pretty full all this week. How do I ever find time to work, LOL?
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Sorry I wasn't around to reply over the weekend, but I barely had time to think! We had a solid weekend of birthday related stuff, from Friday night last-minute gift shopping, to last night around 8 when everyone left.

Friday night - took Nicole shopping for her friend, who was having a Paint Ball party on Saturday. Then picked up a gift card for my niece, also having her birthday party on Saturday.

Saturday morning - Jake had Karate at 9, and went directly to Scouting for Food from there, where Rob already had things underway sorting and boxing. I went home and worked on our craft fair inventory while I waited for Jake to get home from the food pantry. As soon as he got home (around 12:30), he and I headed out to my sister's for my niece's party, and Rob took Nicole to her friend's party.

Saturday afternoon Jake and I went shopping for his birthday cake, and Rob and Nicole went shopping for the taco bar that was going to be Sunday dinner. Then we all worked on getting the kitchen cleaned up and started some of the prep for the taco bar.

Sunday (yesterday) afternoon we had Jake's friend party at a trampoline park. We also invited family, and since all of my sisters-in-law were jumping, I wasn't going to let them show me up! I'm regretting that decision today. Anyway, from there the family followed us back to our house for Jake's taco feast birthday dinner, and a cookie cake and presents. And Pokemon... so very much Pokemon....

I'm wiped out. Even though we made three trips to the grocery store over the weekend, we did nothing for the coming week. Tonight I have a girl scout leader meeting where our girls are presenting one of their fundraising opportunities, then they're doing cookie manager training after that. Tomorrow night the girls are all coming over to my house to start working on our memory boards that we're making for the craft fair. And I guess on Wednesday after work I need to battle the folks at the grocery store. I'm in charge of the wine and other beverages for Thursday.

Thursday I sleep. Then eat. Then drink. Then go back to bed.

Friday is another crafting day at my house - hopefully (fingers super crossed) we finish up the memory boards, and I might actually get some time to myself over the rest of the weekend. I'll probably be putting the finishing touches on all of our craft fair inventory, getting all of that packed away for transporting.

Deep breath.....
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

I think Keitha and Julie win the prize for the busiest! I'm exhausted reading your schedules.

Keitha I wish our Thanksgiving was earlier like yours. It's way too close to Christmas. Time just whirls away from me starting right now. For me I include Bob's birthday on 12/18...which this year is his 70th! i'm organizing a small dinner party which will include 12 adults and 2 grandchildren, 3 and nearly 5. Should be fun.
FARLEY in Sacramento
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

And that's a major milestone birthday not to be missed!

Yeah, the holidays started killing me years ago, but once Jake got old enough to want to have a party with friends, and I've added two niece/nephew birthdays to the November birthday party mix, things have just gotten unimaginably insane in the past 2-3 years from about Halloween all the way through January 1st. Actually, with all of the scouting activities that happen in September and October, it seems like there's barely a break all school year long. And with marching band starting next year... shoot. I'll just plan on catching up with y'all in June 2025. :lol:
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

jfugina wrote:And that's a major milestone birthday not to be missed!

Yeah, the holidays started killing me years ago, but once Jake got old enough to want to have a party with friends, and I've added two niece/nephew birthdays to the November birthday party mix, things have just gotten unimaginably insane in the past 2-3 years from about Halloween all the way through January 1st. Actually, with all of the scouting activities that happen in September and October, it seems like there's barely a break all school year long. And with marching band starting next year... shoot. I'll just plan on catching up with y'all in June 2025. :lol:
Take a big breath!

I must tell you Julie, that Bob and I miss the marching band days. Charley did HS as well as College MB and enjoyed it immensely. It was the best thing for building confidence and meeting other super kids. He continues to teach trumpet and coaches MB students...in his spare time of being a substitute middle school and HS teacher by day and law school student by night. I think all that band organization and teamwork has been a boon to what he does now.
FARLEY in Sacramento