Crazy Week

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
pbp908

Crazy Week

Post by pbp908 »

We've had company at work this week - the head of our federal funding source came to visit. And the annual audit is going on. It's been a crazy week that took a complete left turn today. For reasons that I can't go into, my replacement will not be replacing me. So...... I'm not going out just yet. A few more months and then retirement. Say a prayer for me. :censor:
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
paddlegal

Re: Crazy Week

Post by paddlegal »

Well that really stinks Pam! I'm so sorry. Sounds ominous ... "will not replace". I hope an appropriate replacement is found pronto.

:happy94:
FARLEY in Sacramento
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Wow Pam, sorry to hear this news and delay. Can they actually do this to you against your set date of retirement??? Seems like they could prolong this on and on.

Hoping it is just a minor inconvenience to you, and you can do that happy dance soon. :cool5:
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

It was my decision to stay until June instead of leaving them up in the air. I talked with George before I rescinded my resignation, who said he would support me either way. It would go against my grain to leave the program without someone capable of doing the job in my place. I never realized how specialized my job is until now. :(
Pam P.

mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

I'm sorry about this news, Pam, but I'm not surprised.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

So sorry about the delay Pam. But it's so good of you to wait until the program can be left in capable hands.

I lost a co-worker to retirement last Thursday. They're not bothering to replace him - those of us left behind are just trying to pick up the pieces of what he knew. I'm not going to have any trouble picking up the work - it's the tribal knowledge that's leaving that I'm so distressed about. Because they aren't replacing him, there wasn't anyone for him to really train in his place. In the past few years he'd gone from a more technical (software development) role to that of a business analyst, which was fine, but he never wrote anything down. He went to meetings and discussed things with end users, and left me with no artifacts. And because of that, I still need his brain. But I refuse to call him, because he's earned his retirement, and I'll get it figured out eventually.

I'm sure this isn't fun for you, but I also suspect the people who will remain after you're gone are thankful for a little more time with you.

Now, if that's totally not the case, then I'd say "screw 'em" and get the heck out anyway! :wink:
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

At this point, they owe me a great big one. All I can say is that I pulled some gonads out of the fire by staying longer.
Pam P.

paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

They better give you a bonus and the best send off showing you their appreciation when you do retire! You are their heroine!
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

If only they understood the concept of rewarding competent loyal employees. Right?

Pam, I might have done the same thing. However, they knew you were planning to leave. I hope they don't try this again. You've earned your retirement (and then some).

We just got a huge announcement about meeting some rather lofty goals. An email "pat on the back" was our big reward. At my 10 year anniversary here, I got a printed Thank You from the division VIP (nursing). She didn't even sign it. Oh - and a cd player. I saw one at Big Lots for $19.95. Businesses rarely show appreciation to employees any more. A signed Thank You would have been enough. A printed card was insulting. "Celebrated" 15 years this past October. NO recognition whatsoever. I'll take my extra PTO and be happy with it because I'm that much closer to retirement. They did remind me that new hires don't accrue the extra time off and are no longer eligible for longevity pay. Now, next time you hear a report about how critical the nursing shortage is...
Pam Cook #48
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

I hear ya! I was a loyal employee for the same company for 36 years. Never once did I receive a pat on the back for a job well done. Many of those years I had perfect attendance. My last day the company splurged and bought a cake for me and the shift! The USW at least presented me an expensive watch that I will never wear because I just don't wear watches, but at least it was something. Our management had the mentality that we were over paid and under worked! Like to see them do it 12 sometimes 16 hours a day in the sweltering heat and freezing cold. Yeah, I was asked to stay longer too to train my fill in because he just "wasn't getting it" and a vacation fill in too......ah no! They had plenty of time for me to do that and choose not to, I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Never looked back!
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

My MIL was a nurse and retired several years ago after 42 years of service. They gave her a pretty nice retirement, but I definitely got the sense that it wasn't at all typical - anything less than 4 decades might have gone un-noticed. :roll: But she was always struggling with staffing, so yeah, there's definitely a problem, and it's been a problem for a long time.

Our IT department seems to be getting better about showing appreciation, but it's tiny tiny steps and they've got tons of ground to make up. Our department leader has been in Wash U IT for nearly 45 years, and until recently, she ran the same tight ship that she "grew up with", and had a policy of doing things as cheaply as possible, which is not a good mantra for technology.

The new leadership is doing better with the thank yous, but what they really need to do is figure out how to attract and retain real IT talent. We hire contractors to do projects, and then have to spend weeks bringing them up to speed, only to watch all of that knowledge walk out the door in 6 months. And we have a revolving door of expensive contractors. If they'd just invest that kind of money in a pool of permanent people, we would be so much more efficient at getting things done because we wouldn't spend so much time doing knowledge transfer. Good IT people (software developers) can demand salaries well into the 6 figure mark. We post positions that require experience, and offer $60k. So as you can imagine, the only resumes we even see are those of the truly desperate.

I have come to the conclusion that most leadership, regardless of whether it's public or private sector, have no idea that people, along with their knowledge and experience, are the single most valuable asset they have. If they would spend as much energy investing in their truly most valuable asset, the return on investment would likely be shocking. But that's not something that's easily shown on paper, so the cycle continues.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I completely agree Julie! I've been a nurse for 40 years and believe me, I've seen changes...
Pam Cook #48