Traffic Rant

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
pbp908

Traffic Rant

Post by pbp908 »

Sorry, but it's driving me crazy.

It's now taking me at least an hour to get home everyday. If streets and bridges are open in the morning, they're closed in the afternoon. Endless detours are getting on my last nerve. I know that Robeson Co. has taken some very hard hits and there's a lot going on right now, but if you have main roads that need repair, repair one road at a time and then move to the next one. We never know driving out if we're going to have to detour or try to find another route because there's no warning of the changes until you get to them. I'm so tired of being questioned when I do finally make it home - "What took you so long?" Not only are we in damage-control with our 6 county service area, add in the stress of trying to travel. :censor: :angry48:
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pamcook

Re: Traffic Rant

Post by pamcook »

I can't even begin to imagine. My tongue bleeds every day from biting it. It's a good lesson in gratitude for me. It could have been just as bad here and it wasn't. You all are still in my prayers. Living through the disaster is bad enough - editing the recovery is like pressing in a bruise to see if it still hurts - and it hurts worse than you remember.
Pam Cook #48
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Every. Single. Day. I have to call the field/center staff and give them a list of what to do. Yesterday I had to call them all and have them call parents to let them know we're starting back up on Wednesday. Then at 3:00 I had to call them and tell them that after reevaluating road conditions and necessary repairs we won't be opening. That's 1,000 families they had to notify. Twice. The staff are upset, the parents are upset, and I seem to be taking the brunt of this. I've put together damage assessments, detours and route closures, and detailed lists of food loss for all 15 sites for the insurance company and our Federal funding source. It seems like I'm doing a lot of this alone because the Agency has set up a resource center for affected families and our office staff are manning it. My phone is non-stop, I have to cover for the dept. secretary so she can pick up the mail at the PO and eat lunch, I have my normal work as well as all of the added responsibilities, and then I get fussed out because I cancelled training yesterday for my replacement. When did I have time to work with her??? I'm exhausted and need some :censor: help. The worst part of this is that we won't be anywhere near normal again before my retirement date.

End of rant. Today I'm doing nothing unless it involves a recliner, a book, and a nap.
Pam P.

pamcook

Post by pamcook »

A well-earned nap. You're too close to retiring to have to suffer abuse like this. Knowing that everyone is stressed out beyond belief does nothing to help you cope though.
Hang in there Girlfriend. Every torturous day brings you one more day closer to freedom.
Pam Cook #48
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

And, don't you think for one second about not retiring because they need you!!!!!You've earned your me time.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I've sure earned it this week. :lol:
Pam P.

Trixie

Post by Trixie »

My brother lives near Marianne in Delaware. They have a website you can check to get up to date traffic flow information. He can check it before he leaves work at Aberdeen and decide which route to take home. You need something like that so people can decide what to do.

No one realizes the damage a flood can do until they live through it and, yes, it takes a long time to recover. We lost schools. Kids are going to school in the armory with curtains as walls until the pods can be delivered... and our floods were 4 months ago.

Judy
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I hear you, Judy. There's a very good possibility that some of the public schools won't open until January, which means they'll have no summer vacation. Most people don't understand that when the water recedes the real work has to begin - ripping out floors and walls, sanitizing to remove mold and mildew, countless inspections to make sure there's no trace of any contaminants. Sometimes the renovations upon up another can of worms, which is lead and asbestos in some of the older remodeled schools. This is not a short term fix the affected areas are looking at - it's a long haul and a lot of money. Damaged infrastructure is unbelievable and a lot of those who haven't been through it don't understand. Water plants down and undrinkable water (we can flush at work, but you'd better have bottled water to drink or risk any number of health issues, and for God's sake don't wash your hands with it if you have an open wound), roads still collapsing because of wash outs that weren't immediately evident, bridges requiring inspection before they're cleared for use, electrical and telephone lines down. Lord alone knows what else. It's just a nightmare.

One thing that I do need to say about all of this - I have been astounded at the outpouring of support from not just NC, but from all over the US. There are truck loads of food and personal items brought in everyday that have been donated - Purdue has sent in tractor trailer loads of chicken, Walmart and other businesses are donating, one of the Presidential candidates brought in truck loads, people from all over the State are coming in and volunteering their time, talents and resources to help people get their lives back on track. Churches are setting up areas to cook hot meals for those who don't have food or homes in which to cook. The State has authorized $200 in Food Stamps to non-Food Stamp recipients in 18 counties to help replace the food stuff they lost because of power outages. This tragic circumstance has brought out the best in people, and unfortunately the worst in a few - there has been some looting. As of right now there are an estimated 250 guns that were stolen from a gun shop in Lumberton that are in the hands of criminals/looters. I have to say, though, that the good is right now outweighing the bad. It's a shame that it takes such a tragedy to bring people together. We should see this spirit everyday in everyone's lives.

Just keep NC in your prayers. Robeson Co. before this happened had the highest poverty level in the State, and Scotland Co. had the highest unemployment rate. Most of the counties that this affected are primarily rural agricultural counties, and the farmers have lost everything - from crops to livestock. This is only going to be worse now because of the flood, and it's going to take a long time to rebuild. These are strong salt of the earth people, and they will survive - but they all need a little help to do it.

I love you all. Thanks for listening to my rants. It's just an unsettling and stressful time this part of the State is going through now, and if I didn't have you guys as an outlet... :happy94:
Pam P.

Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

And to think that people go through all this more than once in their lifetime when they live near the hurricane areas. I can't imagine.