Binoculars

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
mpizzazz

Binoculars

Post by mpizzazz »

Do any of you birders have newish binoculars you like? Both Wendy and I are interested in upgrading ours. I'd like something small enough that I will want to pack them in a bag when we travel or take on a hike. Neither of us want to spend 1000s on the super duper ones but maybe 100s. Wendy might be interested in the ones that take photos. Also what size do you like for general use?
Thanks for any suggestions or advice on what to look for. Any binoculars we have are hand me downs.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
paddlegal

Re: Binoculars

Post by paddlegal »

The most useful power bins would be either 7x42s or 8x42s. They will give you a great field of vision as well as reasonable distance. Check out Eagle Optics. They are reasonably priced and well made. My first pair was one 8x42. I now use Nikon 10x42 which I love but they are heavy. I also recommend a binocular harness. They criss-cross over your back easing the weight and pressure on your neck plus when you bend over they aren't going to swing out and hit something. Also make sure the bins you get have a case.

Excited to hear you are interested in birding! Be careful...it's highly addictive. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The bins I first had

https://www.eagleoptics.com/collections ... -binocular

Harness options

https://www.eagleoptics.com/search?type ... ar+harness

If you have a Wild Birds Unlimited near you, it's a great place to shop for birding items. Also, gun shops are another good place for bin advice.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

When I win the lottery I'll own Swarovski bins, LOL. I love my Vortex Viper 8x42s; Vortex is the sister company to Eagle Optics and they are a bit pricier (my Vipers are a model up from the comparable model to the EO Rangers which would be the Vortex Talons). I'd certainly consider Eagle Optics but have never tried them so don't know how well they perform in low light situations - viewing American Woodcocks at dusk, for example - which my Vipers do a good job with.

A comment about size: I suggest going with 8x42 rather than 10x42 to start. Here's a good article on why: http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/educ ... han10.html And I absolutely agree about getting a shoulder harness.

Well worth your time to try and get to a Wild Birds Unlimited store if there's one around, or as Farley said a gun or sporting goods shop, to test them out - even if you end up ordering online (Amazon often has the best prices).
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Thanks very much!
I've always liked birds, Farley, though I don't need to know all their names. I would also like to look at other things. It was very frustrating at the house on Sydney Harbour for 6 weeks not to be able to see what was in the distance.

I will check out those brands and the harness is a great idea. Does it keep them from thumping against your chest as you walk? I've been reading advice from various website including Cornell's Bird Lab and learning about what to get if you wear glasses and also for low light. Most of the time under our trees it's low light.

We actually had a Wild Birds Unlimited store in our tiny little town for a few years. It was wonderful to go there but it's long gone. Good article on sizes and eye relief, Keitha!

Anyone else?
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

mpizzazz wrote: ... and the harness is a great idea. Does it keep them from thumping against your chest as you walk?

Any harnesses I've seen are elastic, so you fit it snug to your body which eliminates the bumping while walking. Plus, you're supposed to adjust it so that the binoculars rest higher up on your body than a neck strap would keep them, the theory being that they are then quicker to raise to your eyes as you've cut the distance in half or more. And because you've put your arms through the harness you've eliminated the drag on your neck.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

I agree with Keitha about the 8x42...they will be the most useful in just about all situations and habitats.

Keitha my 2nd set of bins were 8x42 Vortex Vipers! We still use them and Bob often prefers it to his 7x42 Nikons. A few years ago Bob gave me a Swarovski 8x42s. I LOVED them. I hope the thief who stole them appreciates them. Yes...sadly my car was broken into one night will I attended a birding class. Bins, camera, journals, rain gear, hats, gloves, walking poles, not to mention a great birding bag...gone, plus a smashed passenger window. Had to have Bob come and get me and the car towed. I was about an hour from home. Amazingly my Swarovski spotting scope (another gift from my sweetheart) was in the back of my SUV and still there. But I was one sad girl.

So that is how I ended up with the 10x42 Nikons. I had my CC out ready to buy another Swarovski, but then just for fun I tried the Nikons and was happier with them. The Swarvs that were swiped were hard to find and the ones I was about to buy just weren't quite as good. The Nikons really got my attention and the field of vision is nearly as wide as his 7s. For some reason I get on the bird faster with them also.

This morning I appreciated them while I soloed, for the first time, doing a roosting Sandhill Crane count. I had to drive out in the dark on rice field levees to sneak up on the Cranes before first light and go from field to field counting them before sun up and lift off. My bins did a great job in that low light plus gave me the distance to see to the back of many of the fields.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Farley, I would be beyond p*ssed if that happened to me. Did you lose your personal journals you recorded field observations in? I'd be ticked to lose field guides, but they can at least be replaced. I haven't seen Nikons to try them, but will watch for them. Although I think a scope will be my next investment.
I'd like to hear your recommendation for a great birding bag.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Keitha wrote:Farley, I would be beyond p*ssed if that happened to me. Did you lose your personal journals you recorded field observations in? I'd be ticked to lose field guides, but they can at least be replaced. I haven't seen Nikons to try them, but will watch for them. Although I think a scope will be my next investment.
I'd like to hear your recommendation for a great birding bag.

It was several of my personal journals (but I back them up generally into a large daily calendar/agenda book so I didn't loose too many records. But I also lost a couple of field guides. My insurance covered most of it and fortunately my rain gear, gloves and walking poles came from REI and they keep a record of everything.

Scopes...by all means get one. At first I didn't want one but Bob got me one anyway. He calls it my "don't buy me scope" scope. Once you get a scope you'll want to digi-scope, hahahaha. It never stops. But if you can go somewhere where you can try out several and compare side by side that really helps. We went to Scope City (sadly now closed) in San Francisco and tried out many. The ease of focusing and lining up your object were key in my decision making. So much fun

Bag: a deep one with tons of pockets that zips shut at the top. I actually replaced my old tote with a tennis bag! Huge open space inside with several pockets and outside many pockets, some with zippers. It's slightly padded so my gear is protected.

One more must have geek gear item: A birding vest...very much like a photographer's vest. I have a Big Pockets (Big Pockets web site) vest that has 20 (or more?) pockets so I carry camera, journal, food, water, walking pole, more food, lens cleaner, taser, keys, extra camera battery. It's wonderful.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Thanks Farley. Yes, it is amazing how much gear one can want to have at hand for a simple activity like birding.
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Taser? Don't be messing with Farley! :cool5:
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Debbie J wrote:Taser? Don't be messing with Farley! :cool5:
I noticed that, too, Debbie. I'll be on my best behavior next time I meet her.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels