Login woes

Notes to and from the paowers that be
jfugina

Re: Login woes

Post by jfugina »

Generally when this happens, it's not PAO logging you off - if that were the case, everyone would experience the same behavior at the same time on the same days, which is not the case. Most of these issues have to do with browser settings, and cookies, and password saving, and how long things are allowed to stay set before they expire. And every browser has different options and different ways of executing these options. I'm sure that each version of each browser has some magic combination that will cause the least amount of trouble. There are also some anti-virus/anti-malware programs that will sweep through and clean up browser cookies and whatnot on a periodic basis, which could cause saved passwords to not be saved any more.

I'm one of those that has apparently discovered that "magic combination", because in the 3+ years that PAO has existed, I've been kicked out maybe three times. And never ever multiple times in a single day. So as much as I'd love to be able to say that it's the board that's acting up, I am 99% convinced that it's not the case. Also, for those who argue that you can stay logged in to other sites while being kicked out of PAO, consider that other sites might have different cookie expiration rules, or caching rules, or whatever, that's controlled specifically in code. So you can't make comparisons about how different web sites behave.

I wish I could offer more of a solution. But it's just one of those web things that is the way it is. :matrix:
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

"Cache" is just a catch-all term for browsing history or short term memory. Your computer saves a copy of where you've been so it can load faster next time you go there, so if you clear it out - you've cleared your cache. You can set your computer to automatically do this when you log out of IE.

Since I'm in and out of the website all day, I only need to login again if I've checked in while at work. That has to do with the settings on the computer there, not the forum. At home I only need to do it if DH has reset Safari. Wish he'd leave things alone, but whaddaya gonna do???
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

It's obviously not our forum but an individual computer thing. It's minor (in the scheme of computer problems!).
Pam Cook #48
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Paula wrote:I stay logged in, and have never been bumped off. And I have never cleared my cache, whatever that is :lol: The only time that I have problems, was when I first started to use my ipad to check PAO. It would constantly log me of on that. Now I just keep it open in the windows page on the ipad, and no problems. Guess that I am lucky! (off to buy a lottery ticket, again!!)

How funny, the only time I don't get logged off is when I use my IPAD!
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

"Log me in automatically each visit" - easy to overlook, it's right under your login info. See if that's part of the problem.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com