still purging supplies

Notes to and from the paowers that be
pamcook

still purging supplies

Post by pamcook »

Seriously!?! What on earth was I thinking? Did I really think they would stop making STUFF?
So much stuff that I thought I absolutly must have. The money I've spent...
I could be consumed by guilt - instead I'm going to pat myself on the back for dropping kit clubs that didn't meet my needs and for throwing away stuff that I'm never going to use and for becoming more discriminating with my purchases. For instance - I have so many flowers, ribbons, trims in colors I'll never use and now I'm buying only white or ecru. I can dye them whatever color I need with my ink refills and sprays. I think I'll even cut back on buying patterned papers, too. I love stencilling and stamping backgrounds - so why not make my own? Evidently I thought the paper companies were going out of business because I have 100's of sheets of cardstock - and enough stamps, inks, paints and sprays to keep me going for a few decades ;).
Sure, I'll still do my part to keep the CHA up and running but I feel like I have more of a handle on what I'll truly use.
Pam Cook #48
jfugina

Re: still purging supplies

Post by jfugina »

You're doing better than I am Pam. After last weekend's major re-org of the craft room, I went to Michaels and bought three new pads of paper that were on sale. One was strictly for Nicole, but two were for me. It had been probably a year or more since I'd even allowed myself to LOOK at paper. But it felt like I had room for it now, so the moment of weakness consumed me. :roll:
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
clamscrapper

Post by clamscrapper »

Way to go Pam! I'm trying to stay out of the stores and off online sites for ordering. My goal is to use what I have and only buy the must, must have items. Lofty goals, I know.
Carol M (NC)

Check me out.
http://clamscrapperstudio.blogspot.com/

ImageImage
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Julie - I carried a DCWV Stack around JoAnn's the other night. Went there looking for a roll of rayon seam binding. I'm terrible about buying paper for upcoming events and then the paper isn't anything close to what I end up needing for my photos. Because I was so frustrated that a fabric store wouldn't have the seam binding I needed, I put the paper down and went home.

My goal this year is to get rid of stuff I know I'm not going to use so that when new collections come out, and I NEED them, I'll feel like I can justify the purchases. I should print out that statement and frame it.
Pam Cook #48
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

Get the seam binding on etsy.
Seriously---best prices around for it.
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

clamscrapper wrote:Way to go Pam! I'm trying to stay out of the stores and off online sites for ordering. My goal is to use what I have and only buy the must, must have items. Lofty goals, I know.
Carol, that's what I've been doing for about the last year (since I quit CS). If I go to Michaels or some other craft store, it's for a specific purpose and I try not to stray from my list. If I see something on line, I don't order it right away. I wait about a week, go back and then decide if I really need it. When I quit CS I realized that I had just been hoarding paper out of fear that I wouldn't be able to replace it if I ran out. Now, I don't care anymore. When it's gone, it's gone and I'll replace it with something prettier. I'm not saying I'm not spending any money on crafty stuff, but I'm definitely not buying just for the sake of buying.

Also, it's very depressing to go into Archivers, drop $50 or more, and leave with practically nothing in the bag.
Sue in NC (formerly known as Sue in Colorado)
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

ChristyB wrote:Get the seam binding on etsy.
Seriously---best prices around for it.
I found it. Most places have a roll for around $9 plus shipping. That's 100 yards. Hard to beat that price. This is all Cheryl H's fault. I have tons of it in several colors and she convinced me that I must have a roll of it...
Pam Cook #48
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

But she's right lol. You DO need it :lol:
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

Now I know, Pam, why I haven't run into you at Michael's recently! :lol:
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Sue, you hit on something. I was hoarding CS, too, because of the "limited edition" cachet. I think all of us who were members were probably guilty of that. You wouldn't believe how nice it's been to pack up a pile of that stuff and get rid of it! It had actually become an albatross around my neck. Now I don't care and if what I kept is still here this time next year, it's leaving, too.

Pam - Isn't it liberating to finally realize that your tastes have changed, the way you create has changed and you don't have to keep all of that stuff anymore???
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

pbp908 wrote:Sue, you hit on something. I was hoarding CS, too, because of the "limited edition" cachet. I think all of us who were members were probably guilty of that. You wouldn't believe how nice it's been to pack up a pile of that stuff and get rid of it! It had actually become an albatross around my neck. Now I don't care and if what I kept is still here this time next year, it's leaving, too.

Pam - Isn't it liberating to finally realize that your tastes have changed, the way you create has changed and you don't have to keep all of that stuff anymore???
Yes, very much so. And - for me, the hoarding started with CS. I am such a 'bandwagon' purchaser. It didn't take long for me to start hoarding kits - just because of the "can't get it anymore" threat. Ridiculous. PSL helped until I realized I was making pages that I hated just to earn points. Also ridiculous.
Pam Cook #48
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

Pam, I'm not at the point where I'm ready to pack it all up and ship it off yet, but now I'm not afraid to cut into a full sheet of paper for just a tiny piece and I don't get upset if I mess something up and it ends up in the garbage. I just find something else to use. I've looked at other kit clubs, and some look really good, but I just know that I wouldn't use everything they send each month. So, I'm sticking to my new rule of only buying what I know I will use.
Sue in NC (formerly known as Sue in Colorado)
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

I buy, and buy :roll:

especially when my MIL comes for a visit and stays a month.
shopping and alcohol the only things keeping me sane
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

:drunk:

:lol:
Pam Cook #48
clamscrapper

Post by clamscrapper »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Christy, she must have been an adventure.

I took my CS paper and sorted it by color. That really helped me to begin using it cause once I did that, I had no idea what kit it came from. It is mixed in with paper from other companies so now it's just paper to me. I was hesitant to do it but once I did it was really very freeing.
Carol M (NC)

Check me out.
http://clamscrapperstudio.blogspot.com/

ImageImage