Spam issues

Notes to and from the paowers that be
admin
Site Admin

Spam issues

Post by admin »

Good morning everyone. Earlier in the week, we started getting some registrations from spammers. These don't appear to be automated things, but rather people who spend their existence registering at various forums just so that they can post spam. Thanks to our moderators, those posts were caught right away and the user accounts were banned.

Since then, I changed registration to require admin approval to activate. Every registration request I've received since then has cross-referenced as a known forum spammer. I guess that means they've found us now, and we need to keep our eyes peeled.

Besides changing the user registration to require approval, I have also made a change to check all incoming traffic against a blacklist. This could potentially slow the system down a bit - how much, I still don't know. The impact would certainly be most noticable for users with slower Internet connections, if at all. If this becomes an issue, please e-mail admin@paperartistsonline.com, or get in touch with one of the moderators. We will try to do whatever we can to make sure you can get through.

Even with the blacklist checking turned on, my plan is to leave the admin approval switch on for new registrations for a while. If you know of someone who would legitimately like to be a part of our family, then send a PM to me, or an e-mail, and let me know that they'll be registering - their e-mail address, if you have it, would be great. That way, I'll go ahead and activate then without going all private eye on them first. ;-)

I'm sorry about any inconvenience this may cause. Hopefully this will get under control soon.
Admin
#1 in the order of the PAO
Cathy

Re: Spam issues

Post by Cathy »

I think this a great idea Admin. WTG :clap: :clap: :clap:
Kellacious

Post by Kellacious »

You ladies ROCK! Keep on keepin' on with checking on new registrations, as I haven't caught any SPAM personally yet.

Y'all are doing an AWESOME job!

Kelli
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I'm probably going to bump this a few times to keep it on top so everyone has a chance to read it.

Thank you, Admin, for doing this. I wish that the people who waste so much energy doing things like this would spend that energy creatively in artistic endeavors. Just think of the ATCs they could design instead.

Pam
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Judi in IL

Post by Judi in IL »

Thanks admin for keeping your eye on things that make our lives better. :clap:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Updated this to be a global announcement - should help a little more with visibility.

Pam - I totally agree. I wish these people would just find another way to spend their time and leave us alone in our happy little corner of the universe.
Admin
#1 in the order of the PAO
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

And happy our corner is!

Pam
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Luly