August 2017 Card Sketch Challenge - Card Your Scraps

mpizzazz

Re: August 2017 Card Sketch Challenge - Card Your Scraps

Post by mpizzazz »

Those are really cute, Nancy. Celebrate Everything covers it all!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

I almost bought a 6x6 pad today at Michaels and I slapped myself in the face and said--you idiot!!
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Seriously cute cards Nancy! That tiny cupcake print is so great with the big cupcakes. So glad you joined in.

There's something about 6X6 pads and those smaller scaled paterns that are highly addictive. My collection is shameful. :roll:
FARLEY in Sacramento
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Cute cards Nancy! And those dies on your cards are really pretty Kathryn.

Now that I have some surface area to play on, I'm going to work on this challenge this weekend. I seriously doubt I'll make much of a dent though. I want to do some die cutting, for starters. Die cutting is a good use of scraps to be sure, but I have to be careful not to create a *new* pile of unused die cuts! Those are actually harder to deal with (IMO) than scrap pieces of paper.

One thing I want to do is take a bunch of the solid scraps and run them through an embossing folder. I have tons of embossing folders, many of which have never been used... not even once. So I may wind up with a large pile of transformed scraps before I actually use them, but hopefully it's a step in the right direction. :-)
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I made a ton of embellishments with scraps but they never seem to go with anything. :roll: For me, I think the key would be to pull together some page kits (even basic page kits) so I know what I'm making would be useful.

My plan is to use up my stash of manufacturer's strips. They are so useful but the pile is growing faster than I'm using them.
Pam Cook #48
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

pamcook wrote:I made a ton of embellishments with scraps but they never seem to go with anything. :roll: For me, I think the key would be to pull together some page kits (even basic page kits) so I know what I'm making would be useful.

My plan is to use up my stash of manufacturer's strips. They are so useful but the pile is growing faster than I'm using them.

I have watched literally hours of videos on DIY embellishments. And I've even tried to cobble some stuff together like they do. But it's such a hot mess, that I usually wind up hating it in the end. I should keep trying though - maybe I'll eventually get the hang of it. It's a fantastic way to use up scraps.
Julie Fugina
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

I agree with you 100%, Pam. I've tried making little embellishment pieces but then I know I wouldn't use them unless they match my kits perfectly. So I should just make a set with the kit, as you suggested. For instance, Lagoon just arrived. I can make a lot of little embellishments that would go with that kit. And then move on to the next one. Should only take me 100 years or so to use up everything.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

ScrappinJen wrote:I agree with you 100%, Pam. I've tried making little embellishment pieces but then I know I wouldn't use them unless they match my kits perfectly. So I should just make a set with the kit, as you suggested. For instance, Lagoon just arrived. I can make a lot of little embellishments that would go with that kit. And then move on to the next one. Should only take me 100 years or so to use up everything.
When we're in the nursing home, everyone will want to play with our crafting supplies.
Pam Cook #48
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Here's the results of some of my playing tonight. Admittedly, it wasn't all from the scrap box, but I also had a box of things that I'd saved for potential card fronts, and since those weren't really anything on their own, I decided they counted as scrap also. :-D

First, I found this black piece that came from when we were all playing with molding paste and stencils. I added an embossed sentiment (on a white scrap). I feel like it still needs something though. Maybe a trio of brads or something.
IMG_0775.jpg
IMG_0775.jpg (29.16 KiB) Viewed 359 times
Next was this image I found that was from a stamped image swap. This is where I really had a good time. I took out my watercolor pencils and colored the image, then mushed it around with water. There was one major oops, which is why the sentiment band runs across the stamp. But all of the other paper was from the scrap bin.
IMG_0772.jpg
IMG_0772.jpg (32.57 KiB) Viewed 359 times
This next one was something I'd assembled before. It had everything but the stamp, and the papers were soft and sweet and I decided a baby card might be just the thing. I bought that stamp to make baby shower invitations for my (now 11 years old) niece. The baby is colored with chalk - another thing I re-discovered in my recent re-org.
IMG_0774.jpg
IMG_0774.jpg (30.71 KiB) Viewed 359 times
This came from a card die I got for Christmas a year or two ago. These folding card dies are tons of fun. It has Happy Birthday stamped inside.
IMG_0773.jpg
IMG_0773.jpg (31.93 KiB) Viewed 359 times
Now this image is probably my favorite thing from tonight. Jake came down and wanted to play with me. So I got out my Sizzix and my box of embossing folders. I showed him what to do, and he made a whole pile of embossed cardstock. And then he made this.
IMG_0776.jpg
IMG_0776.jpg (22.4 KiB) Viewed 359 times
I'm not done with this challenge though. I barely touched that scrap box. My goal for this weekend is to dump the whole box out, and try to find things that seem to go together, and either make some empty layouts, or some more cards, or something. There is probably all kinds of fun paper bits in the layers and layers of that scrap box.
Julie Fugina
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Julie!!! You are on a roll. Super cards and finding old card fronts that hadn't been used yet is a great idea...and definitely qualifies. That's wonderful that you are rediscovering old items that made these great cards.

Sweet card your son made.
FARLEY in Sacramento
nancine

Post by nancine »

All your hard work is giving you some good mojo to start playing again! You are off to a great start.

I'll bet it was fun having Jake working along side you, and what a sweet card he made for you!
katymjo

Post by katymjo »

I found these bits and pieces from previous play times and scraps from a 6x6 pad. The dragonfly stamp is coloured with pencils and the wings have some "frosted lace" Stickles on them.
Kathryn.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (95.67 KiB) Viewed 349 times
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Very pretty, Kathryn! That dragonfly stamp is really colored beautifully!
Julie Fugina
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

It's fun to see all the creative scrap use going on! :clap:
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Kathryn these are darling cards. Finding those bits and pieces on your desk and turning them into great cards is just what I'm talking about! So fun.
FARLEY in Sacramento