UM stamp storage question

A great location for discussions about all things organizational. From supplies to creations - how do you keep your crafts organized?
Keitha

UM stamp storage question

Post by Keitha »

I use the Avery Elle stamp storage pockets for my UM stamps. They work great when I've got a set I want to keep together and just need to replace the original packaging with the storage pocket. But for those of you who use them, what do you use for an insert when you want to store stamps that didn't come on a rigid backing sheet, or if you want to combine sets? In particular, stamps from Viva Las Vegastamps come loose - and they're some of my favourite for mail art.
And, what do you put your Tim Holtz/Dyan Reaveley sets in that come on a piece of rigid acrylic, if anything? I've got the XL storage pockets but they're not quite big enough.
pamcook

Re: UM stamp storage question

Post by pamcook »

I use a sheet of cardstock for the sets without backing. I will store more than one stamp per envelope if I need to. The stamps don't "double up". They stay in one layer.

I have a wider storage container for my TH stamp sets - I keep them on the original backing. I've considered buying the larger AE envelopes for them but they stay put when I flip through them.
Pam Cook #48
Monica

Post by Monica »

well.... that's a good question.... :lol:

When I was an active member of Club Scrap I organized all their UM in jewel cases... of which I still have a fair number that way. When I decided to unmount all my rubber stamps several years back I invested in 3 ring binders and the EZ Mount stamp storage panels... both regular and now joined by those with matching dies that came in sets, such as the TH ones. my TH ones that already come on storage panels are simply arranged numerically on a shelf.... yes that's my OCD peeking out :lol:... and I have one of his leather storage binders with pocket inserts with some random clear stamp sets in it. Used to be the TH clear stamps, but I've since moved those to the storage panels. My Heartfelt Creations stamps are in their original packaging, in two drawers. And I have a pile of stamps that I need to finish unmounting, as well as some that simply need a home. In the case of things like the VLV stamp sheets, once I've glued and cut out I put them on storage panels wherever they fit in the binders, based on theme.

Did I confuse you more?
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

My CS stamps and a zillion other stamps are all mounted on an 8.5x11 page protector with the image sheet tucked inside the page protector.... I found that the non-glare ones worked best because they're a little bit textured

all my UM stamps that come in their own packaging are stored in the equivalent of the Avery Elle pockets... I've found the same exact pockets/envelopes on Amazon.... for less money... they don't seem to have the 50-packs available right now.. but there are 100-packs listed ($17.95 for 100)
https://www.amazon.com/100-CheckOutStor ... 822&sr=8-8

The Avery Elle ones are more pricey ($13.24 for 50) ... although it is, actually, the same pocket... (this amazon listing has the wrong title but it's the 50-pack of pockets)
https://www.amazon.com/Avery-Elle-SS-50 ... ge+pockets
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

So Pam, how do the stamps 'stick' to the cardstock and not fall to the bottom of the envelope? Mine are all either clear or cling-mounted - at least they will be when I get more cling foam for my recent order of VLVS. So far my TH sets are just on their storage panels, but a couple sets have lots of teeny tiny stamps and occasionally one of those will fall to the bottom of the box. Just so you know, the Extra Large AE envelopes - 6-3/4" x 9-3/8" - aren't quite wide enough to accommodate those TH panels.

I've been using the TH unmounted stamp refill pockets for my non-TH stamps, and don't particularly recommend them. They do have a pocket to slip the index sheet into but I find over time they buckle; not sure if that's because my stamps have not been in a sealed container. I keep them in open boxes on my Ikea shelf. I wondered about the EZ Mount stamp storage panels but would have to cut them to fit in the Avery Elle pockets, and I do like those especially for clear stamps. I'm actually thinking I might cut apart those TH stamp refill pockets that I do have to fit the AE envelopes. But they're kind of spendy so don't want to buy more of them if I can figure out an alternate solution for the rest.

Thanks Debi, for the link to the cheaper storage pocket. Page protectors would work if I used a binder system, but I have an aversion to those in my studio.
Monica

Post by Monica »

Keitha, have you trimmed the TH panels down to have them fit? I'm not sure about the dimensions of the Avery Elle pockets, but is it possible to do a smidge of trim and have them fit inside?
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Keitha wrote:So Pam, how do the stamps 'stick' to the cardstock and not fall to the bottom of the envelope? Mine are all either clear or cling-mounted - at least they will be when I get more cling foam for my recent order of VLVS. So far my TH sets are just on their storage panels, but a couple sets have lots of teeny tiny stamps and occasionally one of those will fall to the bottom of the box. Just so you know, the Extra Large AE envelopes - 6-3/4" x 9-3/8" - aren't quite wide enough to accommodate those TH panels.

I've been using the TH unmounted stamp refill pockets for my non-TH stamps, and don't particularly recommend them. They do have a pocket to slip the index sheet into but I find over time they buckle; not sure if that's because my stamps have not been in a sealed container. I keep them in open boxes on my Ikea shelf. I wondered about the EZ Mount stamp storage panels but would have to cut them to fit in the Avery Elle pockets, and I do like those especially for clear stamps. I'm actually thinking I might cut apart those TH stamp refill pockets that I do have to fit the AE envelopes. But they're kind of spendy so don't want to buy more of them if I can figure out an alternate solution for the rest.

Thanks Debi, for the link to the cheaper storage pocket. Page protectors would work if I used a binder system, but I have an aversion to those in my studio.
Pam Cook #48
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Keitha wrote:So Pam, how do the stamps 'stick' to the cardstock and not fall to the bottom of the envelope? Mine are all either clear or cling-mounted - at least they will be when I get more cling foam for my recent order of VLVS. So far my TH sets are just on their storage panels, but a couple sets have lots of teeny tiny stamps and occasionally one of those will fall to the bottom of the box. Just so you know, the Extra Large AE envelopes - 6-3/4" x 9-3/8" - aren't quite wide enough to accommodate those TH panels.

I meant the don’t clump at the bottom - will post a picture.
Pam Cook #48
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Mine are all in 3 ring binders on the rigid sheets like Monica has. The TH stamps are in 2 TH binders. Stamps that have dies are stored together in rigid envelopes. I still haven't unmounted my wood stamps - that's a project for another day. :)
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
fuzzylover

Post by fuzzylover »

Keitha wrote:I use the Avery Elle stamp storage pockets for my UM stamps. They work great when I've got a set I want to keep together and just need to replace the original packaging with the storage pocket. But for those of you who use them, what do you use for an insert when you want to store stamps that didn't come on a rigid backing sheet, or if you want to combine sets? In particular, stamps from Viva Las Vegastamps come loose - and they're some of my favourite for mail art.
And, what do you put your Tim Holtz/Dyan Reaveley sets in that come on a piece of rigid acrylic, if anything? I've got the XL storage pockets but they're not quite big enough.

I take some lightweight cardboard (such as a cereal box) and cut it to size. Works great and I'm using something already in the house. If I need something for the stamp to cling to I just recycle a piece of clear plastic from some other packaging. (so I don't tear the acrylic pocket, I use my Big Bite to round off the corners) I've found that the regular and XL storage pockets don't always fit every stamp set. So when the set is way to big for either, I just utilize the plastic that it comes in and I cut off the sticky top, or bottom whichever and the hanger section if it has one.