Organizing trip memorabilia

A great location for discussions about all things organizational. From supplies to creations - how do you keep your crafts organized?
Keitha

Organizing trip memorabilia

Post by Keitha »

This is a project I took north with me to work on - and actually made some progress before doing 2 shows at once derailed me. Collecting memorabilia while traveling is a given; receipts, tags, brochures, tickets, stamps, maps - if it's flat and has graphics it's fair game. Sometimes I include bits on my layouts although that depends on my being able to work it into my design, but also my ability to put my hands on it when I need it - which has sometimes been a challenge. Enter the idea of clear zippered pouches; I'm sure not an original concept, but the idea hadn't clicked for me before.

I started by going through the stuff for trips already scrapped; with the perspective of time I was able to let some of it go, and put what I wanted to keep in a pouch which will live in the back of the scrapbook. This has also given me a place to keep any hand-written notes I might have made, the info from which may or may not have been recorded on my layouts. And by putting the pouches in the scrapbooks of trips I'm working on, there's a better chance some of it may make it onto my pages.

Two of these trips are scrapped and I'm good with the rest of this just living in the back of the scrapbook. The Florida trip I'm still working on, some of this may or may not get put on pages or purged when I'm done.
memorabilia organization.jpg
memorabilia organization.jpg (164.31 KiB) Viewed 559 times
I've added a bit of bling to this envelope; the pages are scrapped and I'm calling this trip done.
memorabilia pouch decorated.jpg
memorabilia pouch decorated.jpg (170.69 KiB) Viewed 559 times
Small progress to be sure, but it's good to know that I've figured out a home for this stuff.
paddlegal

Re: Organizing trip memorabilia

Post by paddlegal »

Super Keitha! Any time you figure out a workable storage idea it's a great thing regardless of when you thought of it. I have 3 similar heavy duty zip envelopes that I found at Staples (office supply). They're see through and pink, LOL. Now I wish I'd bought a few more. But they've been used for holding projects in progress and for transporting materials to my weekly craft group.

Between office supply stores and The Container Store, there are endless possibilities for craft storage solutions. I have to stay out of the Container Store unless I'm really after something. That place is addictive and dangerous.
FARLEY in Sacramento
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Keitha, I have a similar process. I bought quite a supply of the envelopes Becky Higgins sells for Project Life. I have both small and large ones. That's where I put my trip memorabilia. Then it's there if I'm looking for something to use or just keep.

Here's a video: https://youtu.be/Ov0itVtz8Q0
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

In one of her posts , Shimelle said she threw out all her memorabilia. I'm pretty sure I gasped out loud. Since then, I've allowed myself to throw away some stuff but I just love all those bits and pieces. This system seems very doable.
Pam Cook #48
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

Pam... I've noticed in the Magical scrapbook class.... Shimelle doesn't seem to have any memorabilia... I'd have thought she'd at least have kept tickets, etc. ... but no sign of them.

I'm like Keitha and I collect the local ephemera... sadly, I lost all of the Arizona stuff - it was on a bottom shelf when Irene hit... EXCEPT for my little fat spiral bound notebook... which had ALL the notes of where we were and what we did each day. I'd have been lost without that!

Those zipper bags sound perfect for memorabilia... I may grab that idea as I start the big sort through the shelves that have photos and such... I just kept cramming stuff onto those shelves when I just did the big cleanup... so now I have to sort all that. Zipper bags... or even Ziploc bags... will be perfect.
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

I've been hearing about this project for quite awhile and it's great to see it in the works. I save ephemera from trips and seldom found it just right for a layout. I'd slip brochures behind the layouts, never to see the light of day again, I'm sure. This is a good solution. And, Debi's idea of using a ziplock bag would be good for shorter album sizes.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

nchoney wrote:Pam... I've noticed in the Magical scrapbook class.... Shimelle doesn't seem to have any memorabilia... I'd have thought she'd at least have kept tickets, etc. ... but no sign of them.

I'm like Keitha and I collect the local ephemera... sadly, I lost all of the Arizona stuff - it was on a bottom shelf when Irene hit... EXCEPT for my little fat spiral bound notebook... which had ALL the notes of where we were and what we did each day. I'd have been lost without that!

Those zipper bags sound perfect for memorabilia... I may grab that idea as I start the big sort through the shelves that have photos and such... I just kept cramming stuff onto those shelves when I just did the big cleanup... so now I have to sort all that. Zipper bags... or even Ziploc bags... will be perfect.

With Magic Bands - no need for tickets.
I like maps. You can punch shapes to use in embellishment clusters that subtly show your location.
Pam Cook #48
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

I looked at the zipper bags again.... 3-ring binder bags... whoohhhoooo even better idea than me using ziploc bags... LOL I was missing that detail...
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I really like the idea of the 3-ring binder bags. Some trips I have way too much to add to a scrapbook, and some trips lately I've been doing as digital books. But I'm definitely going to have to remember this idea for future trips. I tend to keep memorabilia, even if I can't work it into an album. There's something magical about touching a ticket stub from a favorite concert, or looking at a map that's no longer accurate due to the passing of time. I also try to collect postcards. The photographs are so much better than anything I could take, and they often have great historical information printed on the card.

Thanks for the idea Keitha!
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Pam Cook #48
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

I use those but I use the 12 x 12 ones. They are great to include in the back of the grandkids albums with programs from soccer games, BB, and whatever else. You never know, someday they might want to look back and see who their teammates were or opposing teammates, etc. I Did a really large one for Caitlin's graduation from HS with all the programs from Commencement and Baccalaureate. Our local paper also had a section with photos of all the graduates and sponsoring businesses.
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

pamcook wrote:From one of my FB groups - https://natscrappersnotables.wordpress. ... uesday-11/
I think she read my post and stole my idea, LOL.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Keitha wrote:
pamcook wrote:From one of my FB groups - https://natscrappersnotables.wordpress. ... uesday-11/
I think she read my post and stole my idea, LOL.

That’s what I was thinking! :lol:
FARLEY in Sacramento
fuzzylover

Post by fuzzylover »

I like to keep mementos from my trips. If I can't incorporate it onto a page, I just add another page protector at the back of the album or that section of an album and put the stuff in there. That way I can remember the trip in picture and anything I collected at the same time. Those "pre-divided" page protectors from Totally Tiffany or anyone of them work great for this too. Also, if there are more pics than I want to scrapbook on a page, I can add them in this section too.