just a little bit - washi storage

A great location for discussions about all things organizational. From supplies to creations - how do you keep your crafts organized?
Keitha

just a little bit - washi storage

Post by Keitha »

Hardly worth a mention compared to Julie's accomplishment, but I'm sharing anyway. After buying and returning a dedicated washi storage box which didn't convince me, I set my sights on one of several drawers in my Expedit. I'm all about keeping it simple; the drawer is big enough but I wanted the washi sorted somehow. I rejected the idea of cutlery bins - which I'd have to buy anyway - because I figured they'd take up too much room in this small drawer. Plus, not all rolls of tape are created equal. Hit on the idea of organizing the washi into different colour groups and threading them on ballchain - which I conveniently had in my stash. Here you see the blue/green group hanging from the drawer knob.
washi1_r.jpg
washi1_r.jpg (162.28 KiB) Viewed 718 times
And here you see the inside of the drawer. At first it looks haphazard, but the washi is sorted into warm colours (yellow/orange/pink/red), cool colours (blue/green), multi-coloured, neutrals and Encyclopedia - the last a few rolls of MT Ex Washi from Japan with photos/descriptions of animals, birds, minerals etc. for my naturalist journal pages. Easy peasy to add a roll, or grab a chain of washi out and bring to the table. The Ikea drawers originally had black fronts which I altered before assembling with foil tape, alcohol inks and TH knobs.
washi2_r.jpg
washi2_r.jpg (181.35 KiB) Viewed 718 times
pat-czap

Re: just a little bit - washi storage

Post by pat-czap »

Nice idea Keitha, and I'd say that's a healthy supply of washi tape. ;)
I like what you did with the drawer fronts.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

That's a great idea... sorting by colors so you can grab one roll out of the drawer and actually be grabbing several coordinating rolls... :clap:
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Totally brilliant Keitha! And your altered IKEA is awesome.

My washi drawer looks like that but without the colorized chains. I have a bunch of those chains. Might try that one.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Seriously considering tossing all my washi. Marianne might have been right, I don't think I really needed any of it.

I did something sort of similar with my cards of label stickers and cards of tiny words. I have them gathered together on jump rings.
IMG_3194.JPG
IMG_3194.JPG (97.82 KiB) Viewed 705 times
Pam Cook #48
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

It's a brilliant idea...wish I'd thought of it.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I have like 4 rolls of washi tape, all of which came in a kit. I've never deliberately bought any. And I almost never use it. I never quite worked it into my scrappy routine. But I love what you did about grouping them together. I tend to keep things organized by color family too. Seems like it makes things easier to find. Nicely done!
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

mpizzazz wrote:It's a brilliant idea...wish I'd thought of it.
The organizing of it, or throwing it all away, LOL?

I didn't make the connection until you posted Pam but I, too, have put all my word sticker sheets on one ring. Many of them are the old 7 Gypsies 97% Complete sets - which I'm sorry to say are probably still 97% intact. About 18 months ago I got the idea to pull them from the various themed embellishment drawers and keep them all together, and for awhile I was making a point to use some on every layout. I must get back to that; I can't make random words strewn all over a page work for me, but somehow a few of these lined up along the edge of a photo floats my boat.

The word sticker ring lives in my Journaling Box, something I've successfully used for more than a decade - although the contents of it changes from time to time. I think the idea originally came from May Flaum; I keep all my journaling boxes, tags, labels, PL cards, word stickers, etc. in a divided box in the cubbie next to all my alphas. Often I type my journaling and cut it into strips, but if I'm using a PL card, label, etc. they are all conveniently in one place; it tends to be something I decide on toward the end of my layout process.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I really just need to make a point of using washi, stamps, and word stickers. They will all easily fit in an embellishment cluster. If I use it up, storage is no longer an issue. Maybe I can just throw out some of it and keep some. BTW - I won't actually throw it in the trash, it's going in my RAK box for re(create).

Having your color families grouped like that is pretty brilliant. Much easier than sorting through it all for the right color.
Pam Cook #48
fuzzylover

Post by fuzzylover »

WOW - that is quite a collection of washi tapes. All of mine fit in one drawer of one of those Sterilite 3 drawer table top thingy's. I don't use it much and really forget about it most of the time.

I love what you did with the drawer fronts though. Really personalized.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Uhm, Washi tape? Who would collect that? It’s a good thing I don’t. ( waking away, hanging my head as I try to hide my 2 bins worth :anyone: )
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Paula wrote:Uhm, Washi tape? Who would collect that? It’s a good thing I don’t. ( waking away, hanging my head as I try to hide my 2 bins worth :anyone: )
It's okay Paula, you're among friends...
Pam Cook #48
Monica

Post by Monica »

pamcook wrote:
Paula wrote:Uhm, Washi tape? Who would collect that? It’s a good thing I don’t. ( waking away, hanging my head as I try to hide my 2 bins worth :anyone: )
It's okay Paula, you're among friends...
Friends.... collectors... enablers... collectors.... :lol: :lol:
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
Paula

Post by Paula »

:happywave: :happywave: :happywave:
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

I'm starting to get a collection too
Jill P