Craft room video

A great location for discussions about all things organizational. From supplies to creations - how do you keep your crafts organized?
pamcook

Craft room video

Post by pamcook »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7AuiI3c837Q

I think I like to watch these because I feel a bit better about my stash. I enjoy having supplies but I don't need a personal warehouse.
Pam Cook #48
Monica

Re: Craft room video

Post by Monica »

that reminds me.... time for another purge in mine! :lol:
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

A bit excessive much? I will say she's well organized, although with that much stuff I'd have thought more labeling would be in order. I did notice/like how she labeled her Alex cart, and also liked how she had her flair organized on the foam sheets and her patterned brads on the styrofoam sheets. If I had drawer space I'd consider doing my flair like that, except mine would be by theme, rather than by colour. I just hit the highlights and spent 2 minutes watching.
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

I'm sorry. I'm in a cranky mood today. For me, this is just a video bragging about how much excessive stuff she can afford. Disgusting. Curious to know if she makes anything.

I just looked. She does. But I don't see 1% of her stash represented on any given page.

Stopping my rant. I just have a hard time understanding what these videos are all about. What is her reason behind presenting it?
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

If I could re-do my entire craft room from scratch (and money was no object), I'd do something similar to that whole wall of cabinets. I'll admit I didn't watch the whole thing (because I don't care about every tiny detail of what she has), but I've always struggled to decide which works better for me - having everything out in front of my face and within arm's reach so I'll use it, or neatly tucked away in a cabinet. Ultimately, I'd like the ability to have everything hidden. But then I'd want something fancy like retractable cabinet doors so I could have it all open and visible if I wanted to.

I'd also love to have drawers for my cricut, my printer/scanner, and my sewing machines, so I could have the extra workspace. But alas, I don't play the lottery and a remodeling project like that will have to wait until the kids are out on their own. LOL.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

ScrappinJen wrote:I'm sorry. I'm in a cranky mood today. For me, this is just a video bragging about how much excessive stuff she can afford. Disgusting. Curious to know if she makes anything.
I just looked. She does. But I don't see 1% of her stash represented on any given page.
Stopping my rant. I just have a hard time understanding what these videos are all about. What is her reason behind presenting it?
Cranky or not, I totally agree with you about the bragging. If that were my studio I'd be embarrassed to show it all like that. And I always wonder that too - what do they actually make with all that stash?
nancine

Post by nancine »

Sandy Allnock has a good YouTube addressing this issue. She was hesitant about filming her room because she thinks that some people feel bad after watching videos like the one Pam posted or the video of Jennifer McGuire's room because they cannot afford to do the custom cabinets and fancy light fixtures etc. I mean how many people can afford a total room re-do and an interior designer to do it?! I think she tries to stress: do what works best for you with what you have or can afford and don't feel bad or jealous that you don't have what others may have.

My spot isn't fancy, but I have lots of room and storage. Now all I need is Mark to figure out some heat and a/c for the space :lol:

It is fun to see these fancy places and dream.... but I'm sure I'll never have anything near what some of them have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=309L_Rx67jk&t=330s
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I enjoy seeing what women come up with as much as I enjoy discussing the topic. If it was job related, I could justify the space in my house and boy would I love customized cabinetry!
Jennifer, I completely get where you're coming from. There are so many similar videos. I've picked up some useful ideas.
Pam Cook #48
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

To me it's bragging rights and nothing more. As Bonnie is so fond of saying - The one with the most toys when they die wins.

I have my room sort of where I want it to be - I just wish I could find things now. :lol:
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

pbp908 wrote:...I have my room sort of where I want it to be - I just wish I could find things now. :lol:
A lot of the experts say you should take absolutely everything out of your space and go through it all before putting it back. That approach doesn't work at all for me; for one thing, I'd be bored with the whole project probably before I even got it empty, never mind sorted out. I've found that if I tackle it a step at a time - and for me that's a cubby or a box or a drawer - I have much better results, and it also helps me remember where the new home for something is, because in between those organizing bouts I'm crafting in here, and using things from their new places. Often the decision of what to do next is sparked by an idea of how one thing could be more efficient; that will set off a chain reaction dictating several steps to resolve the first idea. I don't have that satisfaction of seeing it all transformed overnight, but I'm still proud of the progress I'm making, every time one more area gets a makeover.
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Oh Jennifer...I did not get past the part where she is showing the cross wall and table.

I didn't think people made these videos any more.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Bob had one word..."pathological"! :lol:

It's one thing if you're in some kind of business and promoting various products, reviewing, designing, etc. But this woman's identity is wrapped up in how much she has. I was doing alright looking at the papers and her albums. But when I saw the doodad drawers...OMG. I can't help feeling sad for her.

Her room is attractive but I too want to see what she's made, if anything. My room is a mishmash of an old dining table, one of my husband's old teak hutches, a cheesy computer table and of course the wonderful wall cases that Bob made me. And everything is out in the open so I see what I have and remember to use it. I am quite happy with my messy room that is once in awhile organized.

I'm always interested in seeing how people organize, however so thanks Pam for the link. I'll look at some of the other videos that follow.
FARLEY in Sacramento
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Wow, since everyone has chimed in, I will, too. I find these videos really boring. I look at the room and decide very quickly whether I want to look further. I'm all for having my stuff behind closed doors or drawers but I want some warmth and personality to a room and that didn't have much.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Yes, Pam, I did not want this to seem like an attack on you for posting the video. I am interested in how other people organize because I'm always struggling to do it. But that woman has too much stuff.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

So I see she does indeed scrap and the LOs are nicely done. But you know she will never, ever use up one tenth of what's in that room. I would love to know how often she is out buying at the stores and online. Makes me wonder when she has time to scrap. :lol:
FARLEY in Sacramento