More discussion about organizing??

A great location for discussions about all things organizational. From supplies to creations - how do you keep your crafts organized?
pamcook

More discussion about organizing??

Post by pamcook »

I believe that papercrafters enjoy talking about organizing supplies as much as talking about new products.
Has anyone seen this company before?
Finally - a company that makes supplies that seem like they'd would really work for our needs. AND THEY OFFER DESIGN SERVICES! I really like that they offer inserts to fit Ikea's Kallax.

http://www.stampnstorage.com/product-ca ... n=Facebook

For some reason, storage products and clothing ALWAYS seem to be "overpriced" in my mind. I'll buy $100 worth of supplies without batting an eye. These look affordable to me - maybe because I can see that they will really work for what I need? I know that I need to still do a major purge and sort - I have supplies that haven't been touched since the last time I did this (over a year ago). There's no point in buying anything until that's done - otherwise, as usual, I'd just be guessing at what I really do need.

Reading through the online catalog, the woman had a craft yard sale to get rid of supplies she never used. They offered a glass of champagne to each shopper and sold items at a $1 price point. What a brilliant idea!

Here I am at my desk with a million tasks screaming my name and I just want to go home and purge & sort supplies.
Pam Cook #48
pat-czap

Re: More discussion about organizing??

Post by pat-czap »

I just watched a small video from Jennifer McGuire, which told why she does what she does....create cards. In this video we see her craft room/office. OMGoodness. The organization of the room...fantastic, not to mention the vast amount of supplies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGukae2QjNw

I looked at the site...oh my. Lots of interesting storage systems. Thanks for the heads up Pam.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I love Jennifer's studio. There's no hope for me to ever have a dedicated studio room - I'm thankful for my closets to hold my supplies! Sometimes, when I'm surfing realtor sites and dreaming about retiring, I'll see a home with an extra space which would make a great craft studio - usually those homes are way, way outside of my comfort zone, though. I do still think that with better organization, I could have the supplies I need & use in a smaller space. I don't want a warehouse, I just want a space for my supplies to be easily accessible.
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Along with Jennifer's craft studio there are so many beautiful craft spaces to look at and drool over. But I know if I had any of them, they would look as bad as mine does now. My crafting and organizing brain just doesn't work the way Jennifer's does. I do have a dedicated room with pretty good storage. I've been purging and getting ready for this Saturday's garage sale at my LSS. MAYBE once this stuff is gone I might have a chance at making it a little more organized. I still have stuff on the floor and that is what drives me crazy. I have a scary closet that is in dire need of clearing out too.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Monica

Post by Monica »

If I had the money I would love some of that storage stuff. I don't use my punches like I should because they're tucked away in a drawer, and I really like the idea of reinkers and inkpads together. As it is currently, mine are in various spots. This reminds me that I'm due for another purge through the disaster again. I get it all cleaned up and pretty then promptly make another mess! :lol:
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Pam knows all about my mantra...It doesn't matter how big or small your space, extravagant or cheap your storage is, if you don't put it away after you use it, it's hopeless and your space will be a mess.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

I too drool and ogle those perfectly organized, everything put away and in it's space craft rooms.
At the same time I find them incredibly intimidating.
While my real life brain craves neat and order my creating brain craves chaos and mess.

It's a constant push pull
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

I'll have to watch the videos and get the newsletters
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I have dedicated space and organization to- ols and it still doesn't quite do it. Marianne put her finger on the truth - you have to clean up behind yourself occasionally. :-o
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

Maybe what we all need is someone to walk behind us
and pick up and sort and put away what we pull out to create whatever it is
we are working on and then get called away for something else as
life interfers on a daily basis :)
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

EDelValle wrote:Maybe what we all need is someone to walk behind us

YES! (and do it for free :lol: because I only want to spend money on my craft supplies)
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

One can dream...a housekeeper would be wonderful.
Shimelle says she keeps a folder on her desk for those supplies she knows she'll need for the next layout she's planning. Sadly, I think that about everything I pull out. Like I'd never be able to find it again if I put it where it belongs. Like I actually plan my layouts. :roll:
I'm pretty sure I just need Marianne to move in with me for about a month and re-train my brain. I don't put anything away until the clutter gets to me. Of course, when I get everything put where it belongs, I feel my stress level drop and I'm more apt to scrapbook or make cards for a challenge. Okay, maybe I'm slight better about it than I used to be?
Pam Cook #48
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

ChristyB wrote:
EDelValle wrote:Maybe what we all need is someone to walk behind us

YES! (and do it for free :lol: because I only want to spend money on my craft supplies)

I'm not volunteering!

I use that time I spend putting things away, to think about what I want to do next and what I will need to pull out for it. So it's valuable time to me not a waste of time as others may see it. I look forward to it because it means I've finished something and am ready to do whatever is next on my mental list.
Maybe it is easier for me to clean up because I will switch to a totally different type of project and not continue to use the same supplies over and over. I might go from painting or stamping to scrapping to embroidery or sewing so it's all different supplies.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

I'd never heard of this company, kudos to them for making pieces to fit Ikea furniture. The shallow drawer unit for WM stamps intrigued me. Is it just me, or does the whole website scream 'Simon Says Stamp' to anyone else?

I will say though, that while I might have craft room envy at the amount of space and supplies I'm seeing in these rooms, they're just a bit... sterile... to me. If we all put all our stuff away and cleaned our spaces we, too, could have that calm, zen environment. Looks like it takes a lot of space to have a place for every little thing. I can't help but wonder what you do when you acquire a couple too many ink pads? Or when a new product is released and there isn't a custom space for it in your room? Sure, the inkpads and reinkers are together, but where do you put the matching marker? Matching stain? And Spray Stain? At least with generic drawers, bins and shelves you can rearrange using your existing containers. And I always wonder, where's the art that gets made in these spaces? I think I like a space with a bit more personality, even if it isn't perfect. Or maybe that's what I tell myself because that's what I've got, LOL.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I took a peek at the IKEA inserts, and dang they're pricey. The cubes that I'm using for paper may not have as many sections, but theyre a heck of a lot cheaper. I have art work everywhere - mostly the wonderful things I've received in swaps, and I love the character it gives the room. It may not be picture perfect, but as George puts it - it's a work in progress. And there's always work in progress in there. :lol:
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com