More discussion about organizing??

A great location for discussions about all things organizational. From supplies to creations - how do you keep your crafts organized?
nancine

Re: More discussion about organizing??

Post by nancine »

I agree with Keitha, and like George's comment that it's a work in progress. Sometimes I get enjoyment out of reorganizing my space.

Farley and Jen have seen my "garage studio" in person - and Jen has seen it with my new-ish Husky tool box deals. I have lots of room and storage, but sometimes it never seems enough!
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

I am envious of those Husky things but have absolutely no where to put them. Nancy's space is very nice. And large. But it just gives her more room to spread out the mess. Ha ha. Still, I would love it.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Keitha wrote:I'd never heard of this company, kudos to them for making pieces to fit Ikea furniture. The shallow drawer unit for WM stamps intrigued me. Is it just me, or does the whole website scream 'Simon Says Stamp' to anyone else?

I will say though, that while I might have craft room envy at the amount of space and supplies I'm seeing in these rooms, they're just a bit... sterile... to me. If we all put all our stuff away and cleaned our spaces we, too, could have that calm, zen environment. Looks like it takes a lot of space to have a place for every little thing. I can't help but wonder what you do when you acquire a couple too many ink pads? Or when a new product is released and there isn't a custom space for it in your room? Sure, the inkpads and reinkers are together, but where do you put the matching marker? Matching stain? And Spray Stain? At least with generic drawers, bins and shelves you can rearrange using your existing containers. And I always wonder, where's the art that gets made in these spaces? I think I like a space with a bit more personality, even if it isn't perfect. Or maybe that's what I tell myself because that's what I've got, LOL.

I do agree about how sterile the feature rooms looked. I honestly thought I was going to die of boredom trying to watch the videos. All that being said, I felt like they had some pieces that would work very well for my needs. A bit pricey but if something solves a problem for me, it's made in the US/North America, and it seems like a long-term use product for me, I'll probably end up buying it. I would prefer a more artsy/vintagey look to my work space because I love that look (don't want to feel like I'm in a designer kitchen). Even if I had that kind of income, I would probably never spend the money for a whole studio outfitted like the featured studios because that money could be better spent on supplies! 8-)
Pam Cook #48
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

So... I did a ton of organizing in my scraproom in the past couple months.... put things away... sorted things...

and... now I've lost a die... and a whole container of PL-style cutaparts.... and it took forever for me to find the diecuts from the swap that were already on Xyron sticker backing....

organizing doesn't make sense for me, apparently.... unless I keep a list of where everything is. But then I'd just lose the list... LOL
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Right now the only thing I can find are the die cuts, but that's because they're all in a box labeled "die cuts." :lol:
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Monica

Post by Monica »

It's all about the label maker.... and making sure you re-label drawers when you shuffle stuff. :tomato: Which is why I've lost a few things lately.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

I hate labeling containers; that's usually the point where my organization falls short. Yes, it does mean things are temporarily AWOL for awhile - but usually when I stop playing the hide 'n seek game the items in question get tired of waiting for me to look and reveal themselves.

I hope you meant to make us laugh Debi, I certainly got a chuckle from your post. My organizing mantra is to use the KISS method (Keep It Simple, Stupid); I'm always striving for the fewest possible places to look for things. Scrapbook supplies are organized in themes by how I scrap, and everything else (paints, stamps, etc.) I try to keep like with like. I've decided I have a love/hate relationship with printed diecuts; I love them when they're exactly the right embellishment for the page, but I have tons of them that are generic or simply 'meh' to me and I don't know where to put them. I refuse to spend a ton of time reorganizing all those bits of paper; I've got better things to do with my time. Some might even say labeling drawers ;)
Monica

Post by Monica »

Keitha, the diecuts I feel indifferent about get tossed into a gallon size baggie, and a couple time a year I take them, and any other scrappy supplies I've purged out or am tired of, to my nieces for their craft projects. It amazes me how they can take those supplies and come up with beautiful art.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

nchoney wrote:
organizing doesn't make sense for me, apparently.... unless I keep a list of where everything is. But then I'd just lose the list... LOL
This sounds like someone I know. Intimately.
I need a list to find the list.

No kidding. Sometimes I make a note in my planner where I put something......but that, of course, requires looking at the planner occasionally.

Now where is that "hello" die I was using on Friday?