Orient Express et al... musings

What clubs do you belong to, what do they offer, would you recommend or beware...
pbp908

Re: Orient Express et al... musings

Post by pbp908 »

Monica - I have no idea about those tacky ribbons. I can't stand them. And I hate the fakey flowers and the ugly clusters. I dislike them almost as much as I dislike the scanned (or photographed) cheap silk flower clumps. Give you 10 guesses as to why I haven't renewed.

Am I the only person who thinks they're recycling a lot of colors? Every kit seems to blend with every other kit.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
tlscrap

Post by tlscrap »

troublesmom wrote:I know exactly. I was with SU for 10+ years. Still order from them - I really love a lot of their colors and since they went with unmounted that leaves more room.
tlscrap wrote:I'm so up in the air.... I kinda like it, got excited when I saw the digi, so quickly added extra Jr. paper to my Jr. for September, then saw the actual paper kit and went and removed the extra paper.... I love CS, but I'm finding myself more and more going towards Stampin' Up and Gina K. Designs right now... I like patterned papers, not theme, where I have a picture on an entire page... makes sense?
...and with Stampin Up and Gina K Designs, the UMs are all ready to go! No messing with glues... :)
http://tlscrap.blogspot.com/
PAO #8
Theresa Lee
Painesville, Ohio
4nancie

Post by 4nancie »

Ya I think I will scale down to the stamp kit starting next month. Not that thrilled with what I saw but who knows what it will look like in real life.
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Yes no fooling with the glue and they come in great containers. I like some of the new Christmas ones and will be placing a big order next week.

BTW - I am thinking this new kit looks a whole lot like Scholarship. I will have it next week some time as we are away.
tlscrap wrote:
troublesmom wrote:I know exactly. I was with SU for 10+ years. Still order from them - I really love a lot of their colors and since they went with unmounted that leaves more room.
tlscrap wrote:I'm so up in the air.... I kinda like it, got excited when I saw the digi, so quickly added extra Jr. paper to my Jr. for September, then saw the actual paper kit and went and removed the extra paper.... I love CS, but I'm finding myself more and more going towards Stampin' Up and Gina K. Designs right now... I like patterned papers, not theme, where I have a picture on an entire page... makes sense?
...and with Stampin Up and Gina K Designs, the UMs are all ready to go! No messing with glues... :)
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Hmmm... I had to go look based on this thread. ;) And oddly enough, I don't really have a strong opinion about it one way or another. I don't mind the colors, even if they are the same as other combos - it seems to me that you're going to have to run into that after years and years of producing kits. And I think I actually prefer the subtle design of this kit over some of the more strongly themed kits that I've had trouble using in the past. Like Welcome - I have such an odd issue with that stupid pineapple all over everything that I don't think I'll be able to use the printed stuff unless we go to Hawaii. LOL. But all I saw here was some very subtle train tracks and wheels. And personally, I could adapt that to just about any type of travel.

I guess it really doesn't matter, because I can't justify any more paper kits after the glorious hauls of last month. I might just go in and buy the digi QPs because I could see myself using most of those. But I'll just wait until I have the right photos.

I find that my opinions aren't so strong any more now that my credit card isn't being automatically charged. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Monica

Post by Monica »

pbp908 wrote:Monica - I have no idea about those tacky ribbons. I can't stand them. And I hate the fakey flowers and the ugly clusters. I dislike them almost as much as I dislike the scanned (or photographed) cheap silk flower clumps. Give you 10 guesses as to why I haven't renewed.

Am I the only person who thinks they're recycling a lot of colors? Every kit seems to blend with every other kit.
:lol: Not only the colors, but it looks like they reused some of the scholarship background papers and just printed over them with the new deisgns! I liked Scholarship, but I don't need a rerun of the same colors..... *shaking head here*

I totally hear you with those flowers and clusters too.... I only bought the digi because I know I can print it out on 12X12 and scrap my train pictures, but I do not like the paper kit at all.

Julie..... too funny!! I still have strong opinions, but then I've always been a tad opinionated!!!

Monica
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

I really, really like the stamp graphics in the digi kit this month. But ...

I get frustrated with the clusters that include words. It totally ruins the ability to be flexible with them. And another thing that I hate is how the QDDLS run photos and key elements right to the edges. I learned the hard way that you have to stay away from the edges when you print a digi book.

On the flip side, the Scrapper's Guide September kit is adorable for little kids this month. It's an alphabet kit with the quick drop pages covering A to Z. And not one single photo near a page edge!
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

Beth, maybe you should drop that little
bit of information into the CS suggestion
box. Let them know that it is a problem for those
folks creating bound books of layouts
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

I am so relieved to hear others complain about those tacky curled ribbons and flower clusters. Hideous.
Cynthia in SC

Post by Cynthia in SC »

I actaully like this paper kit and will be using for some pictures from our "Civil War" vacation very soon.
AerynKelly13

Post by AerynKelly13 »

pbp908 wrote:I went. I looked. I left.
I couldn't even do that. I had to stare with my mouth hanging open for a bit. I just... I just don't get CS any more. Of course, I haven't been a member since mid 2007, so I can say it's been a WHILE since I got it.

Now I'm sure that's illegal to say, but sorry. lol!
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

AerynKelly13 wrote:
pbp908 wrote:I went. I looked. I left.
Now I'm sure that's illegal to say, but sorry. lol!
Nothing is illegal to say here on PAO, Aeryn, that is why we have so much fun here!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

I have the paper kit and have been doing the ALSB I think it will work for some of my Europe photos that I still have left to scrap. Of course I have to change a few and make additions and deletions here and there but I do that all the time anyhow.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
Sharonv

Post by Sharonv »

I looked and did not like the look of it... just my opinion. What do the people who drink kool aid think? I haven't read the forum..perhaps they like it. They are the ones handing over the dollars, not us..so it is their opinion that counts.
Monica

Post by Monica »

From what I can tell, there are varying opinions.... those who are rabid Koolaid drinkers, those who like some but not others, those who get the kits and don't really say much, and those who are vocal in their frustrations. I let my money do my talking and took it elsewhere, which I think may be happening with more people this year then in the past. Okay, okay... and Pat and I keep poking sticks at the hornet's nest!

Monica
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin