for those who have peeked at Swirlydoos

What clubs do you belong to, what do they offer, would you recommend or beware...
jfugina

Re: for those who have peeked at Swirlydoos

Post by jfugina »

I was really saddened to see this e-mail too. I always feel so badly when this happens to a scrapping site. And I know first-hand the panic that a person can feel when you discover that someone has taken advantage of a vulnerability of your site.

I hope that Krissy is able to get everything set right again, and doesn't have nearly the trouble that other sites have had lately.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
julierealtor

Post by julierealtor »

After having my emailed hacked 2x last month....what are the chances of us getting this darling bug?
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Well Julie - that's a very good question, and I wish I could offer you a guarantee that it couldn't happen to us. Our homepage was hijacked a few months ago, as a result of a security vulnerability on the software that was used to build the homepage. I've since patched that site.

What I can tell you is that I am the tech who built all of PAO, so there is no relying on someone else to fix it. We aren't necessarily at someone else's mercy. It's more a matter of me being at home (since I couldn't work on something that major at work). But we do have daily backups of the forum, homepage, and gallery. And those backups are stored off-site from the host. So we should be able to restore everything reasonably quickly, without losing any more than the last day's worth of posts (anything that was posted since the last backup).

So I know it's no guarantee that nothing will happen, but I feel reasonably comfortable guaranteeing that we will not ever experience a 100% loss of anything.
Julie Fugina
julierealtor

Post by julierealtor »

Well...thank heaven you're at the helm Julie. I was wondering if those of us that are registered at their site..email addy's etc, could now be prey.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I'm not that worried about it, since Krissy didn't have a store that contained all of our purchase info. Because she handles everything through PayPal invoicing, I don't think any of that information (addresses and cc info) are at risk. E-mail addresses are stored, but I don't think they were visible from the forum. It's hard to say if you'll get more spam than you used to - it's possible. But I really doubt there's any information that was on the Swirlydoos site that would enable someone to hack your e-mail.
Julie Fugina