A Deck of Art....2 of hearts-childhood-3/18

The Deck of Art challenge is where you use old playing cards as a base for altered art. Once card is chosen per week, with a theme, and results are posted here.
Ruth Ann Landry

A Deck of Art....2 of hearts-childhood-3/18

Post by Ruth Ann Landry »

Here's an idea....how about a "Deck of Art"? All art will be done on the back side of a playing card...just use an old deck or buy a cheap deck. Each week we'll have a different theme and at the end of the week, we post our results...and the best part is...WE KEEP OUR OWN WORK! As swappers, we rarely get a chance to keep our own works of art. You can play every week or whatever weeks you choose. The work is the same size as an ATC, so it's like doing an ATC a week. You can use any techniques you wish...it's going to be YOURS in the end anyway....and if we kept it up, you'd have a complete deck of artwork, with little time consumed, in one year. I'm game for letting people take turns suggesting themes. If I started it off, I would say, use the 2 of hearts and the theme is childhood.

Anyone interested?

Rules:
1. New card and theme will be announced on Wednesdays and posted by the following Wed.
2. Cards and themes will be announced by players in the order they signed for the challenge. If a player misses her turn and doesn't post by Wed. at 9pm EST , the next player will announce the challenge. If the challenge isn't posted by Thursday evening at 9pm EST, I will pick a card and theme.
3. All art work is kept by the artist for their own finished deck of cards
4. Any technique, any media goes...this is YOUR card.
5. Artwork will be adhered to the back of the playing card so that the suit side is visible.
6. The first player to post a finished card with the new theme will also post the back of the card so we know that a new suit is being "played".
7. If you miss posting your card for the week you may still post it...just state which card you are "playing" in your post.
8. I will do my very best at updating as we go along as to what cards have been "played" and themes chosen.

Rotation of Themes (thus far):
RAL-2 of hearts-childhood due 3/18
Dani
Jen M
Jen H ? LMK
Holly
Lanita
Rachelle
Gwen
Donna (pls name a suit for us)
Cheryl
Christy
Ink Pattie
Hope
Gwen J
Nancine
Maritza
Pam P
Deb B
Dani Larcom

Re: A Deck of Art....

Post by Dani Larcom »

I'm IN!
jam1375

Post by jam1375 »

I'm willing to give it a try!
cnedaria

Post by cnedaria »

Sounds like fun!
Holly

Post by Holly »

Me too.
scrappin nurse

Post by scrappin nurse »

I'm so in!!!
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

I'm in!!!!
gwendols

Post by gwendols »

Me too!!!
Gwen Godfrey
#6 in the order of PAO
Ruth Ann Landry

Here's what I'm thinking:

due: post your work on Wednesdays....you have the weekend to work if you need it and this won't interfer with Christy's weekend challenges.

Cards to be done on a deck of regular playing cards. Art will be on the BACK SIDE of the playing card so that the exposed back of the ATC will show the suit and number (picture) of the playing card.

For simplicity sake, let's keep all challenges and postings of art work on this same thread. It is posted under "general chat" "altered arts".

Themes: can be posted by players in the order that they sign up...so I think Dani would be next.

Week one challenge: 2 of hearts.....theme: childhood.....anything goes! Due: Wed, Mar 18th
Ruth Ann Landry

Here is my 2 of hearts...childhood. I love this stamp, and the quote is self explanatory! (ask Christy!)

I'll just post the back once, so you know which side to put your image on. I added a tiny sticker with the theme so I'll remember what the theme was if I don't get enough of a clue from what I did with the artwork.
Attachments
deck of art 2h 002.JPG
deck of art 2h 002.JPG (33.74 KiB) Viewed 750 times
deck of art 2h 001.JPG
deck of art 2h 001.JPG (41.79 KiB) Viewed 748 times
donnak

Post by donnak »

Great idea, Ruth Ann - I love the idea of doing a little piece of art (themed or not) every week and I will follow along with your thread, however, I'm going to do my art pieces the size of the rectangles on the shoji screen I bought from Hobby Lobby and in a few years - it will be filled with little art pieces - thank you for this terrific idea! Childhood, hmmmm, gotta think now. :creating:
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

I'll need to buy a deck of cards at the Dollar Tree before I can play. This sounds like fun and Ruth Ann you card is wonderful.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

got to find me a deck of cards that actually has all it's cards and I'll play :D
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

ChristyB wrote:got to find me a deck of cards that actually has all it's cards and I'll play :D
me too! lots of decks with missing cards!
Ruth Ann Landry

I know I'm missing some to this deck, but I'll get out to dollar store and buy a couple cheapy decks to fill in with. If you look hard, I think a "child" has scribbled on the 2 of hearts!