Fabric Zentangle (or other artistic) Folder Tutorial

New tricks to amaze your friends
azemigh

Fabric Zentangle (or other artistic) Folder Tutorial

Post by azemigh »

The sizes given here are for Zentangle supplies, but can be modified for other supplies; take lots of measurements.

Materials: ( I used 100% cotton fat quarters)

Fabric:
base fabric--8.5" x 15.5" (2) in fabric choice; (1) in batting; curve or create an envelope type point at one end of each piece; this is the top flap and is referred to as the top in the instructions; the bottom has square corners.
clipboard pocket--8.5" x 18.5" (1) fold in half wrong sides together (wst) at 9.25"
Pen pocket--8.5"x 8" (1) fold wst at 4"
Upper Front Pocket--8.5" x 9" (1) fold wst at 4.5"
Back tile pocket--8.5" x 8" (1) fold wst at 4"
Bulky pocket--11.5" x 10" (1) fold wst at 5"
Flap for bulky pocket--8.5" x 7" (1) fold right sides together at 3.5"

Other:
Thread
Sewing Machine
Velcro
decorative buttons

Putting it Together:

I chose to attach the batting to the ws of the back of the pouch so I wouldn't have to sew through the batting for the pen pockets; the batting can either be basted around the outside or quilted, whichever you prefer it just needs to be attached to either the front or the back. If you want top stitching across the folded edges do that before you start putting things together.

Front (the side with the pens for me):

Lay the clipboard pocket face up with the fold at the top; place the Upper Front Pocket on top of the clipboard pocket with the fold about 1/2 inch down from the top of the clipboard pocket. So through all layers down the middle of the Upper Front Pocket creating 2 pockets side by side. Sew across the bottom of the pocket. Add a 3/4" square of Velcro centered at the top of the Upper Front Pocket.

Lay the Pen Pocket across the Clipboard pocket lining up the bottom and side edges; baste; Measure and mark across the top of the pocket at 5/8" to 3/4" intervals. Sew down from the top fold through all layers to the bottom edge at each mark to create pen pockets.

Lay this whole ensemble onto the front (base fabric) lining up the bottom and side edges; baste leaving the top of the clipboard pocket open. Set this aside.

Back (the side with the bulky pocket):
Add a Velcro tab to the center of the pocket about an inch down from the folded edge
Lay the Bulky Pocket with the folded edge at the top, across the bottom of the back (base fabric) lining up the side edges (it will be too long to fit across the bottom); fold a small pleat at each bottom corner so that the bottom edge becomes the right size and you will have a pocket that will hold bulky things. Baste across the bottom and sides.

Lay the Back tile pocket across the back about 1inch up from the top of the bulky pocket; baste across the bottom and sides; I chose to leave this pocket long, but you could sew down the middle of this pocket to create 2 smaller pockets if you prefer.

To make flap for bulky pocket sew around 2 short and 1 long side with rst; turn and press; top stitch if you want; you can also shape the corners to look like an envelope if you want during this step. Fold the raw edge under about a quarter inch and press. Add the opposing Velcro tab to the underside of the flap about a half inch in from center. Lay this flap about an inch above the bulky pocket over the raw edge of the upper pocket and sew in place.

Lay the front and back right sides together and sew leaving a gap for turning at the bottom. Turn and press; sew the gap closed. Add the opposing Velcro to the top flap in the appropriate spot. Sew decorative buttons to the flaps.

You are ready to load with the art supplies of your choice.

I will add step by step pictures the next time I make one.
Attachments
ZentanglePouchFront.jpg
ZentanglePouchFront.jpg (151.73 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
ScrappinJen

Re: Fabric Zentangle (or other artistic) Folder Tutorial

Post by ScrappinJen »

Thanks for this great tutorial. I am passing it along to my zentangling quilting friend in hopes she will make me a tote. HA HA HA

This is really cool.

By the way, I have linked her to your blog in the past and she loves your quilty things.
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Thanks Jen!
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

I made another zentangle folder over the week end and took pics for the tutorial. Hope this helps. I also made a couple of small modifications to the directions when applying the upper pockets.

So, let's get started:

When cutting out the front, back and batting, nip off the corners of one end to make an envelope type flap. I just lined it up on the 45 degree line on the cutting mat. Layer the batting onto the wrong side of either the front or the back. I chose the back so I wouldn't have to sew through the batting while doing the pen pockets. Set the front and back aside for now.

lay the clipboard pocket with the folded edge at the top on your work surface, lay the pen pocket on top of the clipboard pocket matching side and bottom raw edges; baste the side and bottom edges if you want; lay your grid ruler across the folded edge of the pen pocket down about a half inch and place a pin at approximately 1 inch intervals across the top. Sew down from the top of the pen pocket folded edge all the way to the bottom at each pin.
Attachments
Backlayeredbatting.jpg
Backlayeredbatting.jpg (50.95 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
PenPocketPinned.jpg
PenPocketPinned.jpg (96.75 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
PenPockets.jpg
PenPockets.jpg (69.7 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Upper Front Pocket:

lay the upper front pocket on pressing surface fold one edge down about a half inch and press; fold the other edge up to meet the raw edge of this fold and press.

lay the pocket onto the upper part of the clipboard pocket about a half inch below the top edge of the clipboard pocket and just above the pen pocket with the skinny fold toward the pen pocket; place the fuzzy part of a velcro square near the center top of the upper front pocket; pin; sew down the center through the velcro to the bottom of the pocket; sew across the bottom of the pocket.

lay the whole assembly onto the front with the side and bottom raw edges lined up; baste in place.

Front assembly is done; set aside
Attachments
UpperFrontPocketFold.jpg
UpperFrontPocketFold.jpg (72.94 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
UpperFrontPocketVelcro.jpg
UpperFrontPocketVelcro.jpg (71.01 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
UpperFrontPocket.jpg
UpperFrontPocket.jpg (91.24 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Bulky Pocket (Back)

lay the fuzzy side of another velcro square near the center top of the bulky pocket folded edge about a half inch down; sew it in place with an x.

Lay the bulky pocket onto the back lining up the 2 side edges (it will be too wide); form a pleat at each side so that the bottom matches up to the bottom front; baste the sides and bottom edges, being careful not to catch the top of the pocket in the stitching.

sew the pocket flap rst leaving an opening for turning and rounding the corners if you desire.
Attachments
BulkyPocketVelcro.jpg
BulkyPocketVelcro.jpg (97.71 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
BulkyPocketDetail.jpg
BulkyPocketDetail.jpg (73.06 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
SewnFlap.jpg
SewnFlap.jpg (36.64 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Bulky Pocket continued:

Turn the flap right side out and press; edge stitch around the flap; place the hook side of the velcro square near the center edge of the flap and sew in place with an x; lay flap about a half inch above the the top of the bulky pocket and sew across the edge. Velcro should match up with the one on the bulky pocket.
Attachments
TurnedFlap.jpg
TurnedFlap.jpg (48.01 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
flapvelcro.jpg
flapvelcro.jpg (56.67 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
flap.jpg
flap.jpg (79.99 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Upper Back Pocket:

The upper back pocket is identical to the upper front pocket, except I didn't sew down the middle of the pocket, I left it larger to hold bookmark or larger sized paper for tangling on. It is up to you.

Here are the front and back assemblies side by side.

Flip them right sides together and pin, leaving an opening at the bottom for turning; baste, then sew.

Turn right side out and press; hand sew the opening closed. Add a fancy button over the outside of the velcro closures if you like.

All finished and ready for supplies!
Attachments
FrontBack.jpg
FrontBack.jpg (91.77 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
PuttingAllTogether.jpg
PuttingAllTogether.jpg (51.22 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
Paula

Post by Paula »

Wow!!
troublesmom