Driftwood Wind Chime Tutorial

New tricks to amaze your friends
azemigh

Driftwood Wind Chime Tutorial

Post by azemigh »

Here are the general directions for making a driftwood wind chime. I will try to remember to take pictures along the way the next time I start one from the beginning and will add them later.

Materials:

Driftwood: an interesting piece for the top ( I tend to choose pieces with a slight curve); an odd number of small cylindrical pieces for the chimes (3, 5, 7, etc)
small eye screws--at least 11; if you have more than 3 chimes you'll need 3 for each chime you add
decorative chain--for hanging
swivels--3 (1 for each chime); these are found in the fishing gear dept. or you steal (um borrow) from hubby's stash
split rings
jump rings
eye pins
jewelry wire
monofilament (fishing line)
beads, old jewelry, fancy buttons, small birds or bugs, flowers, ribbons, brads, eyelets, charms, diecuts (whatever you want to decorate with)
E6000 glue
jewelry tools; you'll need at least 2 small pliers for opening and closing jump rings and holding things; round nose pliers for closing loops on the eye pins; scissors

Start by setting all the eye screws; test drive one into each end of each chime (sometimes they crack the wood and you have to choose a different chime or glue it back together) back the eye screws out and put a dot of glue onto the end of the screw and screw back into place; set aside to dry.

Decide the orientation of your decorative top piece and screw 2 eye screws into the top, near each end for the hanging chain and 3 (or however many chimes you've chosen) evenly spaced across the bottom to hang the chimes from; test drive and then add glue; set aside to dry.

While the eye screws are drying, create a decorative bead element for the top and bottom of each chime. I usually use 1 large bead with 2 or 3 smaller beads on each side; whatever fits comfortably on a 2 inch eye pin. Create a dangle or use an old earring or other jewelry dangle and attach to the bottom of one of your bead elements with a jump ring (this will hang from the bottom of the chime)

Build each chime by attaching the decorative bead elements to the top and bottom eye screw with a jump ring; add a swivel to the top bead element with another jump ring; cut a piece of monofilament about 10-12 inches long (you may want to vary the length on each chime to create shorter or longer chimes, but you need enough length to tie a loop in each end); attach one loop to the swivel and the other loop to a split ring; repeat for each chime and set aside while you work on the top.

I usually start with a small bird or bug as a focal point and build a little bouquet or nest into the curve of the driftwood. Glue everything in place with E6000 and let dry for several hours; attach hanging chain to each eye screw with a jump ring.

Attach a chime to each of the eye screws along the bottom using a jump ring to attach the split ring. If you can see the eye screws at the top, you may want to glue a piece of jewelry or a fancy button over it to hide the eye screw.

It's ready to hang!

Tips:
Don't skip the swivels--if you decide not to put the swivels in the chimes will not rotate, they will spin until the monofilament kinks and breaks

Don't substitute jump rings for split rings, no matter how tight you think you can get the jump rings, the monofilament will find a way to slide out of the jump rings

E6000 is my glue of choice; you are welcome to use whatever glue you are happy with, just make sure it's strong and waterproof.

If it looks like I forgot a crucial step or you need clarification, please post your question here. I'll update as needed.
azemigh

Re: Driftwood Wind Chime Tutorial

Post by azemigh »

Pictures of finished wind chimes. I will try to get some step by step pics up soon.
Attachments
June2013Windchime.jpg
June2013Windchime.jpg (148.42 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
SandpiperWindchime2.jpg
SandpiperWindchime2.jpg (37.26 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
BWWindchimeEnjoytheJourneyblur.jpg
BWWindchimeEnjoytheJourneyblur.jpg (45.32 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Looks like each row is about 2-3" apart? Is there a magic formula for knowing how far apart they need to be?
Thanks for writing up this tutorial!
Pam Cook #48
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

oh this is cool!

now to find some driftwood
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

Yeah, shouldn't the first step be "Go to the beach."??? I could handle that!

Judy
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
Paula

Post by Paula »

Trixie wrote:Yeah, shouldn't the first step be "Go to the beach."??? I could handle that!

Judy
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

pamcook wrote:Looks like each row is about 2-3" apart? Is there a magic formula for knowing how far apart they need to be?
Thanks for writing up this tutorial!
There's not really a magic formula, but I would say not closer than 1.5", 2-3 is probably a good range.
Trixie wrote:Yeah, shouldn't the first step be "Go to the beach."??? I could handle that!

Judy
And, definitely, the first step is "Go to the beach!" :lol:

And the second step is--Collect enough driftwood until your husband says "You can't bring one more piece of driftwood home until you do something with these."
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

"And the second step is--Collect enough driftwood until your husband says "You can't bring one more piece of driftwood home until you do something with these."

LOL!
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Just posted my latest one. It's my lottery piece for the July/August lottery, so if you're looking for a sample to go by, make a piece for the lottery and maybe you'll win it! ;)
Monica

Post by Monica »

I should have looked for some pieces when we were there in June! Time to head back to the beach.....
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
clamscrapper

Post by clamscrapper »

I'm on my way to the beach tomorrow. Maybe I'll find a piece and give this a try. I really like these so much. Thanks for the tutorial.
My dad used to make things from driftwood all the time. He'd carve something like a bird, etc. and have it mounted on the driftwood. I've always loved driftwood and this makes me want to go on the hunt for some. Yay!
Carol M (NC)

Check me out.
http://clamscrapperstudio.blogspot.com/

ImageImage
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Slight :hijack:
I'm editing and getting ready to print the photos from the England trip and this photo came on the screen and I exclaimed,
Rachelle, this is for you! I can see a great long swag of these around the Cove or even at home in Phoenix. You need more driftwood! and the little carved fish, too.
This was a swag under a window in Sandsend, a seaside village.
Attachments
Driftwood swag under window
Driftwood swag under window
018.JPG (106.21 KiB) Viewed 1102 times
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Now that is way cool! and a great place to put the pic. Now I won't forget where it is. Thanks, Marianne!
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Glad you like it, I wasn't sure where to post it but thought this was a good topic.
Now you can bring home larger pieces :greenbounce:
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

that is cool
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/