Spray Inks

New tricks to amaze your friends
mpizzazz

Spray Inks

Post by mpizzazz »

Anyone still using them? I have a box full of sprays but haven't used them for ages. I feel like I'd rather take a brush and swirl it around with ink or watercolor/paint. A light spray of something sparkly might be ok but sprays just seem so out of control to me and I don't get the effect I want. :anyone:
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
paddlegal

Re: Spray Inks

Post by paddlegal »

Same here. I have a box full of them, mostly TH ones...you know, the ones that CLOG! But they can be used as watercolors. Just pour some into shallow bowl and there we are. I thought I would love them for stencils but after a few times of making messes (which I enjoyed) I just lost interest.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Yes - they’re wonderful for watercoloring - and splattering.
Pam Cook #48
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

sometimes I use them
I just haven't been scrapping much
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

I still have a lot and love the look when I use them. Last time was for backgrounds for my ATCs for our swap, and they were a contender when deciding what I'd use for my Christmas cards although I decided on something different. I particularly love the organic nature of them; you cannot control the outcome, but that randomness IMO looks so much better than when I'm trying to manipulate random, if that makes sense. They are a quick way to lay down lots of colour, especially good when you need a large surface covered. And of course they're good for splattering as well.

The first ones I bought were from Tattered Angels, which are shimmery so do tend to clog. I think my favourites are the Dylusions sprays because they are such saturated colours and don't have any shimmer - that can always be added with Perfect Pearls or Color Shine if it's a look I want. I've some other brands as well; in particular Heidi Swapp's Gold Color Shine is nice. A spray box is mandatory - at least with me pressing the buttons.
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Guess I need to move the box of them closer to where the paints are and make an effort to use them instead of watercolors until they are gone. Then I wouldn't get frustrated with the clogging and dribbling where I don't want it.
I do like the sparkly/shiny ones that only have minimal color in them. My favorites are the ones Monica sent one time-the ones that you add water to yourself from Lindy's Stamp Gang.
Some of the papers from the bottom of the spray box have been my favorites especially when spraying naked chipboard pieces. I even cut out the bottom of one pizza box and kept it because I liked it so much! :lol:
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

mpizzazz wrote:Guess I need to move the box of them closer to where the paints are and make an effort to use them instead of watercolors until they are gone. Then I wouldn't get frustrated with the clogging and dribbling where I don't want it.
I do like the sparkly/shiny ones that only have minimal color in them. My favorites are the ones Monica sent one time-the ones that you add water to yourself from Lindy's Stamp Gang.
Some of the papers from the bottom of the spray box have been my favorites especially when spraying naked chipboard pieces. I even cut out the bottom of one pizza box and kept it because I liked it so much! :lol:

The overspray is often just as great as the piece I’m working on. I have used decent paper as the “drop cloth” in hopes that it will be usable as well...and it has worked.

Marianne you are inspiring me to use mine again. Mine are on a shelf right in front of me, so no excuse to not use them.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

I have a set of drawers right beside me that hold most of my colour mediums, sprays included. Having them handy does help in deciding to use them. You might remember that garden journal I posted a few months ago. There's a piece of under paper used in it - just newsprint that had ink on it; that's a classic Roben Marie Smith trick. I often keep those, too.
This thread goes in hand with a thought I had yesterday - to start a Throwback Thursday challenge on the board in the new year, with each month focusing on a different older product, tool or collection in our stash that we still have to use up. I, for one, have lots of those types of things languishing in drawers and cubbies. So often they get passed over for the shiny new thing - whatever that may be.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Love my sprays and use them regularly. I've finally found a way to unclog most of them, so they're in use quite a bit.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Paula

Post by Paula »

pbp908 wrote:Love my sprays and use them regularly. I've finally found a way to unclog most of them, so they're in use quite a bit.
So please, can you share your secret? I need to get back into the paints. Kinda stuck in the lace grove right now. But i do miss the paints!
fuzzylover

Post by fuzzylover »

I don't have a lot - but I lean to the nice sparkly ones which tend to clog. I hate those "blops", but I've found that the little Ranger bottles don't tend to clog or "blop" as much. I just use them to add sparkle.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Paula wrote:
pbp908 wrote:Love my sprays and use them regularly. I've finally found a way to unclog most of them, so they're in use quite a bit.
So please, can you share your secret? I need to get back into the paints. Kinda stuck in the lace grove right now. But i do miss the paints!
I take my sprayer apart and soak it in hot water. It works for a while.

Pam P - any other secrets?
Pam Cook #48