Yupo: thumbs up!

New tricks to amaze your friends
Keitha

Yupo: thumbs up!

Post by Keitha »

Inspired by Marianne's March card technique to use your stencils, I had a play today with some Yupo paper, stencils and Alcohol Inks. This technique uses a LOT of ink - which is not necessarily a bad thing if you've got a bin full of AI's that you've hardly used as I do.

1st photo: the example on the left used white Yupo paper with a stencil laid on top, and ink dropped onto the surface in a random fashion. Then you let it dry before pulling off the stencil. The ink does seep under the stencil, but for the most part the design is defined as well. You can see where the top edge of my 6x6 stencil rested on the 5x7 paper - it reminds me of an aquarium that needs a good cleaning LOL. For the piece on the right I used translucent Yupo paper and a mix of techniques. First I rubbed blending solution all over it before flipping my stencil over to transfer the ink. This worked pretty well on the right side, but I either didn't have enough blending solution on the left or it had dried because that part didn't transfer. So then I took a fern stencil and dropped more AI through it to make the design on the left side. It did leave a defined line where the ink stopped at the edge of the stencil so I tried to blend that out a bit. Kind of a hot mess, but with some judicious trimming I can probably use parts of it for something.

2nd photo: translucent Yupo, and this time the ink applied through the stencil with a felt applicator. This is a layering stencil with a cutout shape, and then a detailed outline. I layered a bunch of colours pounced through the cutout; again some seepage occurred creating the gorgeous sky background. Then I applied white overtop for the details; as you can see I didn't line them up exactly - where's the fun in that, LOL? My pouncing produced the speckles above the skyline, an unexpected bonus. Again my stencil was only 6" wide so I'll probably trim this into a tag shape.

I much prefer the translucent Yupo to the white; you get a softer overall look. You can lift AI off the Yupo, but it does leave some ghosting behind - you can see where I tried to add a word to the top left of the skyline that didn't work out, but when I tried removing it with the blending solution it left a ghost impression. While water or baby wipes won't move the ink you do need to apply a fixative it make it completely permanent. These were really fun to play with; I'll be on the hunt for some larger Yupo paper to use with my 12x12 stencils.
Attachments
DSCN3284_r.jpg
DSCN3284_r.jpg (249.68 KiB) Viewed 822 times
DSCN3286_r.jpg
DSCN3286_r.jpg (169.31 KiB) Viewed 822 times
mpizzazz

Re: Yupo: thumbs up!

Post by mpizzazz »

Those are all gorgeous! And could all be turned into something like cards. I like the way the fern is defined but the right side is not. That's a great place to put a greeting or a photo. With a bit of cutting around the fern, some of it could overlap the photo.
so, obviously Yupo works a lot better for that AI/stencil technique than any of the papers I tried.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Awesome time playing. I like the cityscape best.
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

GORGEOUS GORGEOUS, Keitha. I haven't touched my Yupo yet. I need to investigate.
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Wow! Love them all, even the hot mess!
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

I like the hot mess the best, looks like
you created it to be just that, the fern in the
foregroung, defined, by the implied greenery
around it
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken