Question for owners of cutting machines

New tricks to amaze your friends
jfugina

Question for owners of cutting machines

Post by jfugina »

I know that several of us own a Cricut or other electronic cutting machine. Have any of you ever used it to cut out vinyl and do custom etched glass? If so, any tips or tricks to share?

I'm going to try my hand at it this weekend. Our GS troop has decided to participate in a craft fair again (which is a bit of a nightmare for me), and I'm trying to think of what we can make that doesn't cost a ton, in case it doesn't sell well. You can get lots of glass candle holders, vases, stemware, and plates at the dollar store. So I'm thinking of etching some candle holders or something. I could even do customized things, but then we'd have to charge an arm and a leg to ship it after the craft show, so I'm not sure about that. But before I get myself in too deep, I just need to see if it's as easy as it looks. I also need to make sure it's something I can easily give to the girls to do.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Debbie J

Re: Question for owners of cutting machines

Post by Debbie J »

I have never been that brave! ;)
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

If you have anyone in your area that has
a pile of shipping pallets, they could create
wall hangings fairly easily and not expensive.
The pallets are usually free for the asking
the project would involve them removing the
wood slats and then nailing them next to each
other to create a wooden canvas. Then a base coat is
painted over the entire thing, cut letters and sayings
from heavy cardstock, plastic or vinyl, attach
them to the painted canvas, then paint your background
color over everything, remove your template and
your words will be in the base coat
You can find examples on pinterest, it would
end up looking something like this
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/96053404528195112/

which is one of the simpler examples of the project
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

That's a great idea and its economical too.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Loads of ideas on Pinterest for fall projects. One cute one that I saw was a Mason jar project. You glue a stencil of whatever, leaf, pumpkin, etc., and then paint the outside of the jar. Tie a pretty rafia bow around the neck and insert one of those little battery powered candles. That would be easy and fun.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Or even fill the mason jar with a hot chocolate mix or something like that.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Elizabeth - there were loads of craft shows in our area today, and Nicole and I went to one to scout out ideas. I saw several folks selling painted boards with vinyl. Totally cute, and they were selling for a lot. But here's the thing, anything that involves vinyl will take a crap-ton of my time. Vinyl is a tricky beast, and I don't want the girls ruining a bunch of vinyl - it's not actually that cheap and the cost of the vinyl and transfer tape adds up pretty quickly.

So I don't know what we're going to do. We may just tell all of the girls to make their own crafts. I may still bring etched glass, or things that are based on vinyl work, but it would be just me - it's not something that could really be done with teamwork.

The idea of doing something with paint and stencils is good. I could cut out a bunch of stencils out of vinyl ahead of time. Stencils that don't stick would just be plain messy.

I guess we'll see what happens. It's supposed to be the girls doing most of the work, and I'm all about that. But that just doesn't turn out to be the reality usually. :roll:
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO