Shimelle Laine

New tricks to amaze your friends
Laurie

Shimelle Laine

Post by Laurie »

Oh my! I watched my first Shimelle Laine Channel video last night and loved it! Going to try some of her techquies this weekend because it is supposed to rain ALL weekend AGAIN.
Laurie Bennett #118 on POA
North Carolina
pamcook

Re: Shimelle Laine

Post by pamcook »

I'm so glad you liked it! I was feeling like I was annoying everyone with my comments about her. Now you can join me on my bandwagon. :lol:
Pam Cook #48
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Maybe I should look. Heck I haven't even looked at the ones I've paid for with this class. Guess Shimelle Laine will have to wait.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

I think she is great. I don't have any of the Studio Calico kits, but I can use what I have and do what she does. They are simple and great ideas....or the ones I have watched so far.

I loved her idea of having a lunch box full of stuff and taking paper to the park and just sitting and doing a page with what you have in the box. It forces you to use what you have.

I loved her quoter "Everyday is an adventure". Her illustration of scrapping a cup of coffee and the stories that go with that cup of coffee that she could tell and journal. It changed my thought of what pictures I take. I have always taken pictures of our events and of the grandkids, but ever of just something of the day. What a cool idea.....

Can you tell I'm behind the times....it's been 4 years of no scrapping....the fire has rekindled.
North Carolina
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Yeah Laurie!!!
Laurie wrote:I think she is great. I don't have any of the Studio Calico kits, but I can use what I have and do what she does. They are simple and great ideas....or the ones I have watched so far.

I loved her idea of having a lunch box full of stuff and taking paper to the park and just sitting and doing a page with what you have in the box. It forces you to use what you have.

I loved her quoter "Everyday is an adventure". Her illustration of scrapping a cup of coffee and the stories that go with that cup of coffee that she could tell and journal. It changed my thought of what pictures I take. I have always taken pictures of our events and of the grandkids, but ever of just something of the day. What a cool idea.....

Can you tell I'm behind the times....it's been 4 years of no scrapping....the fire has rekindled.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

pamcook wrote:I'm so glad you liked it! I was feeling like I was annoying everyone with my comments about her. Now you can join me on my bandwagon. :lol:
Make room for me on the bandwagon! :enabler: I think she is the best scrapper out there for walking you through a design process.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

What frustrated me about a class I took on Studio Calico was that she gave us a design sketch and posted examples. Yay. I want to know why the designs work and how to use embellishments and stamps and mixed media on my pages - and still have the photos be the center of focus. I can look at any layout and just re-create it but I don't learn anything that way.

I've been watching process videos on youtube over the past few days. Some are really good about explaining their thought process as they go.

Laurie - I just found on the internet some photos from the NCR pool/park we visited when we were kids in Ohio. I printed them and plan to do a layout of my memories of visiting there. Yes, the special events are good to scrapbook but the every day things are what will be precious to our grandkids and their children. When I can see the journaling on Shimelle's pages, it always encourages me to journal differently.
Pam Cook #48
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

I agree Pam. For a long time I would only journal like CM taught me how to. Now I'm looking at it differently. And...I am handwriting instead of typing it out. I didn't like to handwrite because I didn't think it looked good. But after a few of her videos, its not about looking good (which I still want it to look good) it's about the photo of the moment.

This weekend I'm going to try to take some pictures of rain and the mud puddles.
North Carolina
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

I agree. I adore Shimelle's teaching style.

I am also hooked lately on Ali Edwards and her classes. She takes me fairly far from my comfort zone but at 60, I think it's about time.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Darn it all. I've been sucked into the world of Shimelle videos. :lol: Now I'm saving PDFs for the 2 Peas classes in case they disappear soon. She is great at explaining the whys. I'm discovering that a. I use too much glue, b. I need to not be so darned concerned about the colors I'm using, and c. there's no need to measure every single scrap of paper on a LO. Eyeballing and instincts go a long way and I need to learn to trust that.

I just wish my photos were as interesting as hers. ;)
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

You're among good company, Pam.
I just spent 2 hours watching some of her videos. Thank goodness for youtube!
Pam Cook #48
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

Are you watching them on YouTube?
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Yes. I started with the 4 x 6 videos and am working my way up.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

This is an attempt of Shimelle's sketch #34 from 8-22-13 blog. Again, this is an attempt. LOL!
Attachments
Thanksgiving Catelynne.jpg
Thanksgiving Catelynne.jpg (62.76 KiB) Viewed 963 times
North Carolina
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Very nice Laurie!

I watched a couple of her Glitter Girl Adventures last night. Some day, I'll make an index of them. The titles are pretty good at identifying the technique but sometimes I'll see something in particular that I want to refer back to and it takes me forever to find it again.
Pam Cook #48