Using Non-Stick aluminum foil with dies

New tricks to amaze your friends
BekiWard@msn.com

Using Non-Stick aluminum foil with dies

Post by BekiWard@msn.com »

Although it's been a few months since the 11/13 re(create), it's been requested that we share an amazing discovery. Yes, amazing…especially if you like using intricate dies AND don't like having to pick out all the teeny, tiny, ANNOYING little bits of paper from the otherwise beautiful shape.

Reynolds Wrap makes a non-stick aluminum foil…intended [mostly] for use when grilling; the packaging has yellow on it, and I'm not sure if other brands make it or not. But hey, "intended use" has never stopped paper artists, has it? (shaving cream comes to mind) Rather, we usually perceive that as a challenge…I do, anyway!

So here's how I use it with dies:

This foil has a regular side that looks just like any other kind of foil…but the opposite side has a coating [basically] inhibiting it from sticking to most surfaces…it may be difficult to tell at first, but if you look closely, you'll see wording on the non-stick side. THAT is the side you want to place against the die…of course you want to cut the piece approximately the same size as the outer edges of the die.

Next, place your cardstock/paper atop the non-stick foil. It's a foil sandwich: die, foil, paper (no mustard or mayo…definitely no ketchup)

Place the die sandwich with whatever combination of cutting plates your machine requires and run it through. When you finish, you should be able to easily remove the cardstock/paper from the die without having to wrestle much. You may have a few stragglers to pick out of the die, but you should be able to remove them much easier than without the foil.

Give it a try!
Beki Ward
Clarksville VA
BekiWard@gmail.com
pamcook

Re: Using Non-Stick aluminum foil with dies

Post by pamcook »

Thanks Beki!

I wish I had a photo of the look on our faces the first time Judy showed us this technique...
Pam Cook #48
BekiWard@msn.com

The expressions were priceless…kinda like those "Wow, I could'a had a V-8", smack your head, expressions! :lol:

Then…there were several boxes of Non-Stick Reynolds Wrap that showed up in the room! :clap:

:happywave: I love re(create) :happywave:
Beki Ward
Clarksville VA
BekiWard@gmail.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Beki, thank you so much for explaining this again. I will be hunting this foil down.
FARLEY in Sacramento
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

That was a super tip wasn't it! Thanks for posting Beki!
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Bought some today! :D
FARLEY in Sacramento
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

The box has the word Teflon on it and you can get it at WalMart. It isn't hard to find and works like a dream.

Judy
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
BekiWard@msn.com

I just ran across another tip...this gal simply uses waxed paper rubbed over the metal die. My disclaimer: I haven't yet tried it so if it doesn't work, sorry!

She makes it look rather easy: http://thefrugalcrafter.wordpress.com/2 ... icky-dies/
Beki Ward
Clarksville VA
BekiWard@gmail.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I think Judy said it wasn't as effective as the non-stick foil but - I would imagine it would be better than just using the die alone.
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Great tip - I'll have to see if we can get the non-stick foil in Canada.
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Bought mine this week and will use on those new doily dies from MFT.