What is the best way to learn digital scrapping?

Trixie

What is the best way to learn digital scrapping?

Post by Trixie »

Hi,

A friend contacted me today and wanted me to teach her how to do digital scrapping. I have no clue and don't really want to get into it. I have enough paper & embellishments to last the rest of my life. The closest person I know who digitally scraps lives an hour away. There are no stores here that offer classes. What would you all suggest? Is there an online class that could teach her? Does she need to buy some particular software in addition to the digi kits? I just don't know the first thing about this and have no idea what to tell her.

I can remember overhearing Beth teach some people at a ReCreate and I thought it sounded pretty hard.

Thanks,
Judy
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
Paula

Re: What is the best way to learn digital scrapping?

Post by Paula »

Sorry, but I can't help in this category!! I'm sure one of the experts will have suggestions :angel:
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Yes, she will need to purchase or download a free software in order to make her digital pages. Alot of us use PSE (Photo Shop Elements), you can download a free trial of that from the Adobe website, but it will cost about $100 for the full version. There are many other software options out there too, so definitely look around. It will take ALOT of practice to get comfortable with making pages. There are also many, many tutorials out there to help. You just have to be willing to put in the time to learn how to do it. I started (and stopped) about 3 times when I learned. I found if you let it go for even a few days you forgot everything you'd already learned and had to start over. What finally got me comfortable with it was joining one of the digi cabins during PSL summer camp and forcing myself to do a layout every couple of days. It finally stuck. And now, I absolutely love digi scrapping. Although I wouldn't give up real paper fo anything. HTH!
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

If she goes to scrapbookplease.com she can get free kits and a program.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

Thanks so much for the advice. I will pass it on. Let me ask a really stupid question... if you get a digital kit can you use the paper and embellishments over and over or is it a one time deal like real paper and embellishments?

Thanks,
Judy
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

You have the file forever, so you can use the paper over and over and over.
tlscrap

Post by tlscrap »

...and if you change the colors, hues, etc of a paper file that you open, make sure you save it under another name in your digi file, and you'll have another color/pattern to use, also :)... good rule of thumb, "never replace the original".
http://tlscrap.blogspot.com/
PAO #8
Theresa Lee
Painesville, Ohio
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

One thing you should always do is make a copy right away of any thing you open.
Then ALWAYS save as to a mame you wish.

I have a folder set up on my computer just for my working digi layouts.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO

Northeast Illinois
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

to digi or not! That is the question. I'm thinking it would be good for my flowers since I love getting new photos all the time but don't really want hard copies every year. I just may need to learn.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Cheryl - I've scrapped so many photos of my flowers that they've become redundant! :lol:

There are some good tutorials on CS in the library. Also, if your friend is going to use PSE, Adobe has lots of free tutorials. And, last but not least, Digital Scrapbooking for Dummies. Just do a Google search for digital scrapbooking tutorials and you'll end up amazed at how much is out there at no charge.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

I know Pam. That is why while I love getting the new photos I really don't want to get the real photos. It seems like a good thing to do. I will have to check CS and then do some google - ing.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

If try photoshop elements they have lots of free video at Adobe for it.
Scrappers Guide has some free videos and Linda Sattgas is a great teacher
Some free videos at Jessica Sprague site too.
Tricia at CS is using the free program called Gimp and there are free videos there too

Scrapbook Please has a free program and free kits. There used to be free videos lessons.

you just need to figure out what program first.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO

Northeast Illinois
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Sounds like all most too many choices. I may wait for Beth to come over ;)
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
Cheryl Mixon

Post by Cheryl Mixon »

troublesmom wrote:Sounds like all most too many choices. I may wait for Beth to come over ;)
Cheryl,
Here's Beth's advice to me....

There are a ton of digi sites these days and a lot of blog trains. If you do venture into the blog trains to pick up freebies, be very careful around 4shared. Julie F had a really bad experience there that scared me off. But I already had probably 6 GB of freebies to play with.

I'm an advocate for Scrapper's Guide premier membership. The current price is $9 a month and you get a kit, quick drop pages in 2 formats and 4 mini-lessons. There are also available in-depth lessons, for a price. Some months I'm not a fan of the kit and other months I love it. It's like CS digi -- I keep paying the monthly price just to maintain my membership. At SG she has grandfathered the prices, which is sweet. You don't want to know how little I'm paying!

The link is http://www.scrappersguide.com/

I also signed up for their digi classes for Photoshop Elements....it's a forever class so I can always go back and review...They have also changed their name to Digital Scrapper instead of Scrappers Guide. Hope this helps.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I don't do blog trains any more unless it's someone I trust (like Jessica Sprague) initiating it. They just aren't worth the trouble of waiting and waiting and waiting and I've heard of too many people having trouble with them.

One of the best places I've found to download freebies is divinedigital.com. They have a download a day and do two complete kits a month. If you miss a day you can purchase it very inexpensively.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com