CDs and DVDs are NOT permanent storage!!!

LadyJaine

CDs and DVDs are NOT permanent storage!!!

Post by LadyJaine »

There is more and more evidence that burning data to a CD is not a good long term storage solution.

Tech Article

Another Tech Article

Article That's Super Techie but is based in solid research.

The failure rate is high enough that I gave up using DVDs or CDs for long term storage. I use an EHD and an on-line backup service. Suspenders and belt, but my pants won't fall down.
jmp1022

Re: CDs and DVDs are NOT permanent storage!!!

Post by jmp1022 »

I know but it is a way to get them off the pc's
I have mine backed up 3 ways. DVD's, external harddrive, and network drive.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

Yup, ditto what Jill said. I just need to start cycling my disk mirrors out of the house. It's on the to do list.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Rob just freed up an external drive, because he moved the most critical stuff (which, by the way, include PAO backups) to a USB drive enclosed in a fireproof safe. He had been using two external drives and actually swapping them out to the safe deposit box, but now that the most dynamic data is in a firesafe, he doesn't figure he'll need to keep up with the two drive swap.

So, he's clearing the other one off and will be giving it to me for storing all of my digi stuff. Woot! I will still put it all on the network (NAS device), but the external drive should my digi files loads faster to access. And, I'm hoping that maybe ACDSee will work better with an EHD than it does with the network. All of the catalog search features don't work from network locations. That will be a huge organizational project, but I'm hoping once the files are copied, that everything from that point will go much faster.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO