Modified Chili

Got a good recipe? Feel free to share
Monica

Modified Chili

Post by Monica »

Not that you guys probably need a recipe for chili, but I used what I had on hand for this yesterday and it was delish!

I have a huge oval Crockpot, big enough that I could probably cook a small turkey in it, because when I make soups and chilis for winter I like to make big batches. It's also come in handy many times for family gatherings.

Anyway, here's my modified chili recipe:

3 cans chili beans
2 cans red kidney beans (rinse if desired before adding to pot)
1 can cannelloni beans (white kidney beans) (rinse if desired before adding to pot)
approx. 1 lb browned hamburger (I like to add garlic, chili powder and fresh round pepper to mine while browning) You can add more burger if you wish; this was what I had on hand
1 can finely diced tomatoes + 2 cans water using emptied can
5-6 heirloom or garden-fresh tomatoes (whatever you have handy - I used some DH brought from a friend's garden along with a green zebra tomato, a black krim tomato and a pineapple tomato. If you add in different colors of tomatoes it really makes for a colorful presentation)
2 medium sweet onions, diced & sauted in a little olive oil with roughly half of a celery bunch finely chopped (I also added a few shavings of real butter when they were almost done to carmelize the onions a bit)
fresh ground pepper and chili powder to taste (I like lots of chili powder myself)

Toss it all in the Crockpot and let simmer for 4-5 hours....
Serve with fresh rolls (I sliced mine in half and toasted them) and finely shredded cheddar on top (adds good flavor)
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
jmp1022

Re: Modified Chili

Post by jmp1022 »

sounds yummy
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Oh yum. We love chili here. Chris called today wanting a recipe.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Monica

Post by Monica »

Here's my quick & dirty chili recipe for Chris:

3 cans chili beans
2-3 cans finely diced canned tomatoes + 1-2 cans water (depending on how thick you like chili)
1- 1.5 lb browned hamburger (seasoned with garlic & ground pepper)
1-2 finely diced sweet onions (I only saute when I feel like it)
Chili powder to taste

Toss in a large pot on the stove and cook on medium for half an hour, stirring occasionally. If/when it starts to boil and splatter, turn down to med-low.

**Don't forget to drain the hamburger... I always forget to put that in when writing out this recipe because I do it automatically.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Recipe sounds great.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO