Tofu!

Got a good recipe? Feel free to share
pamcook

Tofu!

Post by pamcook »

Beki suggested it.
Feel free to post your favorite tofu recipe or link to an online recipe.

My favorite (right this minute) is a Tofu Poke bowl - steamed brown rice with edamame, chopped cucumber, cubed tofu, a bit of seaweed, a sprinkle of Japanese rice seasoning and a drizzle of teriyaki sauce.
Pam Cook #48
BekiWard@msn.com

Re: Tofu!

Post by BekiWard@msn.com »

Does opening your package of marinated tofu & making a sandwich out of it count? :lol:
Beki Ward
Clarksville VA
BekiWard@gmail.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

100%
Pam Cook #48
Monica

Post by Monica »

I like to get the extra firm and dice it up to add to a sort of vegetable stir-fry. I don't have an exact recipe, given that I wing every time I make it, but tonight's was tofu, zucchini, carrots, garlic and ginger with garlic scapes and oyster mushrooms from the farmer's market, and a few different sauces added for flavor. It was delicious!
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Sounds delicious.

Are you seeing a shortage of tofu yet? So far I can still get it at Trader Joe’s.
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

pamcook wrote:Sounds delicious.

Are you seeing a shortage of tofu yet? So far I can still get it at Trader Joe’s.

When our quarantine first started tofu was nearly impossible to find. Now no problem.

Last night’s dinner: Grilled tofu slabs, zucchini, orange bell pepper and red onion all on the griddle. Drizzled my version of Thai peanut sauce over it with extra squeeze of lime juice (for me a little tobasco sauce for heat) and roasted sesame seeds with a pile of shredded lettuce, all over steamed brown rice. Charley and I cleaned it up.

I’m a “by-the-seat-of-my-pants” cook. Rarely use a recipe. I do slice the extra-firm tofu slabs about 15 minutes or more ahead of cooking. They are pressed between some paper towels to remove excess water. Meanwhile the Thai sauce is made using approximately 1/2 C creamy no-salt peanut butter, 1/2 C Low sodium Tamari sauce (soy sauce works too), heaping tsp of brown sugar and juice from 1 - 2 limes. This is all to taste. If it’s too salty or needs thinning I’ll add a few “bloops” (1 TBS) of red wine.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Monica

Post by Monica »

No tofu shortage here! It's decidedly good stuff.
BekiWard@msn.com

Post by BekiWard@msn.com »

[quote="paddlegal"

...I’ll add a few “bloops” (1 TBS) of red wine.[/quote]

Love that! :lol:

Being a babe WFPBer, I find it interesting that you slice the tofu before pressing it.

I'm really enjoying most any way I've fixed it so far. I did fix a Brown Sugar Glazed tofu; basically a whole piece scored on top, marinated; then glazed as it baked...yummy! I also have a recipe for General Tso's tempeh that you can easily substitute tofu.

It's just so versatile!
Beki Ward
Clarksville VA
BekiWard@gmail.com
Monica

Post by Monica »

Another way I grew up with, which admittedly won't be to everyone's tastes, is to buy the extra firm, slice it fairly thinly, dab off most of the moisture, then bread it in nutritional yeast and fry it in a bit of oil. It gets crispy and is just divine! My mom used to do that as an addition to salads now and then. Not on the salads, but as protein on the side. And we ate it as fast as she cooked it all.
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

Your mom was ahead of her time! My mom was a fabulous adventuresome gourmet cook, but I do not ever remember her making tofu.
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Monica wrote:Another way I grew up with, which admittedly won't be to everyone's tastes, is to buy the extra firm, slice it fairly thinly, dab off most of the moisture, then bread it in nutritional yeast and fry it in a bit of oil. It gets crispy and is just divine! My mom used to do that as an addition to salads now and then. Not on the salads, but as protein on the side. And we ate it as fast as she cooked it all.
I do that in my air fryer (no oil needed). It satisfies my craving for crispy “salty”.
Pam Cook #48
Monica

Post by Monica »

pamcook wrote:
Monica wrote:Another way I grew up with, which admittedly won't be to everyone's tastes, is to buy the extra firm, slice it fairly thinly, dab off most of the moisture, then bread it in nutritional yeast and fry it in a bit of oil. It gets crispy and is just divine! My mom used to do that as an addition to salads now and then. Not on the salads, but as protein on the side. And we ate it as fast as she cooked it all.
I do that in my air fryer (no oil needed). It satisfies my craving for crispy “salty”.
I haven't gotten one of those yet. Mainly because I have enough appliances on the counter and in cupboards at the moment that don't get used like they should.