BH & G?

Got a good recipe? Feel free to share
pamcook

BH & G?

Post by pamcook »

Is that the red gingham covered cookbook?
I need the banana cake recipe from it. Friday is Joel's birthday and I've made it every year. This year I'm in WA and my cookbook is in NC.
Can anyone help?
Pam Cook #48
pbp908

Re: BH & G?

Post by pbp908 »

I'll try to dig it out this afternoon when I get home. I think I still have that cookbook. It was my first one, and somehow I ended up with 2 copies of it. Was somebody trying to tell me something??? :lol:
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Sorry. Can't help. I was a Betty follower. But can't you just google that recipe? I found several associated with BHG. While you're at it, could you bake one for me, too? Please.
nancine

Post by nancine »

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/cakes/banana-cake/#page=0

here's what I found. I thought perhaps a new one might be different from the old book, but it calls for shortening so that's "old skool"
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

From the BH&G red gingham-checked cookbook:
2/3 cup shortening
2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1 2/3 cups sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups (about 3) served bananas
2/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup (2 large) eggs
2/3 cup chopped nuts

Stir shortening just to soften. Sift in dry ingredients. Add bananas and half the buttermilk; mix until all flour is dampened. Then beat vigorously 2 minutes.

Add remaining buttermilk, eggs; beat 2 minutes longer. Fold in nuts. Bake in 2 paper-lined 9 x 1 1/2 inch round pans in moderate oven (350) 30-35 minutes.

Do people still use paper-lining in their cake pans??? My mother used wax paper. I have used parchment paper when making a log-roll type cake. This is definitely an old-school recipe. It was the only banana cake in the book, so it has to be the right one.

Tell Joel I send happy birthday wishes!
Pam P.

pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Would you believe that was my first cookbook and used it for my first cooking lessons when we got married?? I went straight from the BH&G book to Bon Appetit! My first "grown up" meal that I cooked from scratch was Beef Wellington, a Waldorf salad, asparagus, and a Baked Alaska for desert. Even made the pastry and the duxelles for the Wellington myself. Not bad for a girl who could only cook breakfast when we first got married. :lol:

I'm looking forward to going back to my cooking adventures when I retire.
Pam P.

ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

pbp908 wrote:Would you believe that was my first cookbook and used it for my first cooking lessons when we got married?? I went straight from the BH&G book to Bon Appetit! My first "grown up" meal that I cooked from scratch was Beef Wellington, a Waldorf salad, asparagus, and a Baked Alaska for desert. Even made the pastry and the duxelles for the Wellington myself. Not bad for a girl who could only cook breakfast when we first got married. :lol:

I'm looking forward to going back to my cooking adventures when I retire.

This was my very first cookbook as well. Then for Shai this year I got her her own copy.
Mine has been used so many times over the years it is literally falling apart. I am secretly coveting her new copy :lol:
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

I treasure my Betty Crocker cookbook. The binding is falling apart but I treasure it and will not replace it. My early married memories are tied up in that book.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Christy - I have 3 copies of the darned thing. Want me to send you one? It's a copy of the "new" 1953 book.
Pam P.

pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Thanks all!
Looks like Joel will celebrate his birthday in the rain after all. Maybe not as much rain here as there is at home though.
Pam Cook #48
nancine

Post by nancine »

Happy Birthday Joel. If it was Mark's birthday he would be thrilled to spend it in the rain, his favorite!
clamscrapper

Post by clamscrapper »

I got that same cookbook when I got married. It does have some good recipes. I gave my daughter one when she got married. Glad Pam sent you the recipe and he'll get his cake. Happy birthday to Joel. Hope it's been a good one.

Today's my hubby's (Charlie) birthday too. Yes, we're spending it in the rain and wind. We had a delicious fresh apple cobbler and ice cream. The cobbler was made for him by my DIL. It was very good and so sweet of her to make it for him.
Carol M (NC)

Check me out.
http://clamscrapperstudio.blogspot.com/

ImageImage
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

Believe it or not, I still have the pages
(the cover fell apart long ago) from my
mother's Bh&G cookbook and I have the
one that I purchased sometime during my
marriage years.
To give you an idea on how old my mother's
book would be, she married in 1931.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Mine is Better Homes & Garden and it is falling apart also. I do write in mine, very seldom follow a recipe but look for ideas. I used to look for ideas, not anymore I just do what I want which after 50+ years of cooking isn't much.

My favorite recipe from that book just happens to be a fruitcake one and it was the best fruit cake ever. Don't make them much anymore. It made a lot and our daughter and I were the only ones who liked it. I would freeze it and take it out for a slice every once in a while.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

It's been interesting to read all your comments about this cookbook and some of its history. There was one at the NJ house, I think it was my Mom's book. When I started cooking I was a fan of Fannie Farmer cookbooks so didn't use her BHG. I don't know what happened to it.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com