chicken veggie soup

Got a good recipe? Feel free to share
Monica

chicken veggie soup

Post by Monica »

This is a "oh, I loved that soup and I know I can make it @ home" type of recipe.... there's a great little coffee, soup, & puff pastries place in Selah that has the most wonderful homemade soups every day and I wanted to attempt making the chicken veggie soup.

Add the following into a large soup pot (Not the huge one, just the largeish one):
6 cups chicken broth
4-5 carrots cut into slices
5 stalks celery cut into slices
med onion, diced
chopped kale, approx. 2 handfuls
1/2 butternut squash, cooked and cubed
garlic to taste
chicken cut into small pieces (I buy shredded chicken from the deli and cut it into smaller pieces)
3 cans diced tomatoes (I had frozen heirloom tomatoes to toss in mine) you can substitute fresh if you want
salt & pepper to taste
whatever herbs you prefer ( I used a rosemary blend, thyme, basil, and a poultry blend)

Bring to boil on med-high, then turn down to medium and let boil for about 1/2 an hour or so to cook the veggies well. Turn down to low and simmer for a couple hours or so, then eat and enjoy! I tasted and added a bit here and there while it was cooking, hence the varied seasonings. :lol:
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
troublesmom

Re: chicken veggie soup

Post by troublesmom »

The only thing with this is the squash. :roll: I'm not a squash fan at all. The rest sounds really good.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

I believe this woud be really good
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
Monica

Post by Monica »

troublesmom wrote:The only thing with this is the squash. :roll: I'm not a squash fan at all. The rest sounds really good.
Your post reminded me that I forgot the kale on the ingredients list. The sweetness of the squash balances out the bitter from the kale. Try it without the squash, but maybe omit the kale or substitute something like spinach or chard. Make sure is you use chard or kale to add it when the soup is boiling, though, as it will tenderize the stalky parts.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

I do like both if those veggies. Might give it a try
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO