Bernie Berlin - Stencils

pamcook

Bernie Berlin - Stencils

Post by pamcook »

Okay, I'm not anything close to being an "artist" but I'll pick up the Bernie Berlin challenges (if no one objects). The book sits here on my desk making me feel guilty for ignoring it...

This time (I plan to post these weekly) - we'll focus on Stencils...Make a card, ATC, page embellishment or a piece of art by using 2 sizes of stencils, heavy-bodied acrylic paints and whatever else suits your fancy. You don't have heavy-bodied acrylic paint? Me neither - just use something that could give your stencilled image some dimension - spackle works. The idea is to search through what you already have (unless you don't have a room full of craft stuff and need to go shopping!), pull out those stencils (make some if you don't have them!) and have fun being creative! Post as many as you can. Even those you consider "failures" and why you think they "failed" - betcha someone here will love it anyway.

ETA - yes, you can use masks for this project, too.

I'll post my first piece today after I put the Christmas decorations away - THERE! I said it! My decorations are still on the front porch! :oops:
Pam Cook #48
InkPattie

Re: Bernie Berlin - Stencils

Post by InkPattie »

You can make stencils with the negatives of punches--make your own punchinella by punching the same image lots of times from a sheet of thick cardstock, then use the negative as a stencil. If you don't have any stencils.

Nice to see this is coming back--I loved the BB challenges!
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

Pam again--great minds think alike.
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

you can also use the remains of sticker sheets.
I have also used the grungeboard once I have punched out the pieces as stencils.

make your own masks using freezer paper ( a favorite technique of mine) trace your design and cut it out, iron the shiny side to your work paint/spray over it and lift your mask off---it'll peel right up.
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

here is a chunky book page I did today.

used mesh tape and sequin waste as my stencils, collage image and the flourishes are from a soap wrapper
tfl
Attachments
P1180001.jpg
P1180001.jpg (108.15 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Oh gosh Christy - how cute is that?
I saved some mesh from a box of clementines to use for stencils. I wonder where I stashed it?
Pam Cook #48
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Here's my first project. I'm really happy with how this turned out. Using 2 stencils on such a small piece would never be something that I would think to do.
I used 3 colors of distress ink for the background. You can't really see it but the first stencil is one from CS - Collections maybe? and done with white acrylic paint. The dots are a Heidi Swapp mask - I used MM paint for that. Then I used 2 colors of Stickles over all of it. Glossy Accents over the clock makes it look like an epoxy sticker. The girl is cut out of an ad for Alice In Wonderland (sigh...Johnny Depp...).
I hope everyone gives this a try.
stencil atc.JPG
stencil atc.JPG (47.39 KiB) Viewed 1447 times
Pam Cook #48
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

:clap: love it
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

:bump:
Do you need motivation to start your art journal page? Try this stencil technique - it really is fun!
Pam Cook #48
n8tvtexan

Post by n8tvtexan »

hhhmmm i will have to give this a go and see what i can come up with.
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

thank you, thank you, thank you, Pam for getting this Bernie Berlin ball rolling again.
They look great!

One more thing to play with soon...I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed by all that I want to do now that life has settled down after the holidays, yeah, right!

I've got a few backgrounds drying and will finish them tomorrow. Here's a tip---Paper Perfect doesn't work very well through stencils nor does gesso especially when you sling it at the table leg and carpet as well.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Hasmom99

Post by Hasmom99 »

It may take me a week to FIND my Bernie Berlin book so I can try and participate!
n8tvtexan

Post by n8tvtexan »

ok i gave it a try. i painted using a cs 2 step stencil. i painted the green and pink. i then inked over the green but it didnt show very much. i then used chalk to add more color. that didnt show enough either so i finally used pens to add details.
Attachments
painted flower.jpg
painted flower.jpg (70.68 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

very pretty Michelle

Marianne--does life ever slow down, holidays or not? Not here :)
Paula

Post by Paula »

mpizzazz wrote: Here's a tip---Paper Perfect doesn't work very well through stencils nor does gesso especially when you sling it at the table leg and carpet as well.
:lol: :lol: :lol: