CC102

Are you a Tim Holtz fan? We are!
Monica

Re: CC102

Post by Monica »

I actually have one of his fat refillable markers that I bought on clearance last year, because it made a handy reservoir to put blending solution into.... but no way would I want to use those as regular markers when you could buy Copics that aren't any more expensive and fit one's hand so much better!

Sharpies are fab. I've been using a fine point Sharpie for most of my journaling for years... they are archival and acid-free and write on anything! ;)
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

May I please rant about all the crazy questions people ask on the forum?!

:censor:

Pay attention people. Tim most graciously directs them to the correct spot in the video to find the answer.

There also seems to be a lack of adventure with some people...experiment with your stash, I say.

Man, I bet he gets tired of "stupid".

End of rant.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

I know what you mean
I don't think they even listen to him
just go ask dumb questions
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
Paula

Post by Paula »

I agree!! But it makes me feel smart!!! :angel: :angel:
nancine

Post by nancine »

Paula wrote:I agree!! But it makes me feel smart!!! :angel: :angel:
Isn't that the truth? He's pretty patient, but it's gotta drive him crazy! I get a good laugh reading through them :lol:
Monica

Post by Monica »

So, now that it's all done, what did you think of the class? I still have 2 techniques from day 5 to do, but I had a lot of fun getting inky and playing with lots of supplies. Some of the techniques weren't exactly new to me, but I still enjoyed the experience. I think my favorite bit was yesterday's bonus videos showing different things to do with the completed tags. I now have those composition book covers and tag-sized page protectors on my Christams wish list. ;)

I'm feeling inspired enough by this that I'm contemplating whether to dig out the 12 tags of Christmas sets and see which one I'm missing to fill in the gaps before I decorate with them. Heck, I may even so a holiday spin on the tags for last year and this year! :lol: (don't hold your breath... ;) )
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

On the whole, I thought it was a good experience.

Like you said, some things you already knew, but everything can be tweaked to be different.

I especially liked all the AI techniques.

I suppose if I ever get some distress paint or distress markers... those techniques will be fun as well. :lol:
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
nancine

Post by nancine »

I agree with Monica and Pat. There was a lot of old and already done material - but I do appreciate having it all in one easy place to find. The paint stuff is new and interesting to me and I may end up getting those paints, as they seem to be better than the old paint dabbers. I doubt I will do much of the glitter stuff, I'm not that into glitter. the gold leaf technique is OLD, but I do forget to drag that stuff out!

I think I learned a lot more in CC101.

I did get a kick out of reading the forum - I say he has the patience of a saint, and no doubt gets the same questions over and over at conventions and classes. Imagine the laughs he and Mario have reading them!!

one complaint - on the student featured gallery picks there were a few "professionals" in the mix, and I think it really should've been just students who were learning this stuff.
Paula

Post by Paula »

I'm glad that I took the class. I did learn some new techniques, and some were passé. I don't think that I will do all do the tags 'just to do the tags' on the older techniques. Like nancy said,I like having the pages printed and bound for easy reference. But now I have to make a tag book!!
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

Some older tech but more ways to use the products that I didn't know.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

nancine wrote: I doubt I will do much of the glitter stuff, I'm not that into glitter. the gold leaf technique is OLD, but I do forget to drag that stuff out!
I forgot about the glitter. I have small tubes of glitter from eons ago.

I got a container of Rock Candy(?) the clear glitter at Michaels the other day. I did order the sticky EP, knowing nothing about it. Now I know how to use it, if it ever gets to my house that is.

I bought a small leafing kit from HSN a while back, so I have that to play with as well.

Yeah, older techniques, but still doable.

The video from Sunday...total commercial. buy this, buy that. The comp books and insert pages are a nice idea...but I don't think I NEED them. Sorry Monica... :oops:

I wonder if there will be a CC103... as someone asked in the forum.
If there is, I'm sure a boat load of new product will be needed prior to it's release.

Tim is still a very likeable guy to watch and learn from. :D
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
Monica

Post by Monica »

Nancy - the Distress paints are waaaayyyy better than the older dabbers. I have both, but only use the old ones with a paint brush. The Distress paints are so much more fluid and easy to work with! (and then theres the cool Distress stuff they do.... ;) ) I agree re: putting up some professionals' work rather than all amateur students taking the class.

Pat - no big. Like I said, added to my Christmas wish list. If I get them, great. If not, no big. I made a holder on my desk for them.... I just may need to make another to sit next to it! :lol:

As for doing all the tech tags vs not, for myself I find that I will remember a new or old technique by flipping thru the tech tags, and then actually use it on a project. I have several more tech tags I've made while just fooling around with supplies. Back in the day, when I bought something new I would create something with it the next time I sat down at my craft table.... didn't matter if it was a new ink, new stamp, paper, embossing powder, whatever. When I sat down I would play with that before moving on to another project. I think I need to get back to that.....

My vow for the rest of the year (excepting CKC Nov 8 & 9) is to try to not spend more money and simply use what I have. The exception will be if I need to print more photos. I need to seriously embrace the use and not hoard mentality, and I always feel more inclined to sit inside and play when it's cold and dreary outside.
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Monica wrote:Back in the day, when I bought something new I would create something with it the next time I sat down at my craft table.... didn't matter if it was a new ink, new stamp, paper, embossing powder, whatever. When I sat down I would play with that before moving on to another project. I think I need to get back to that.....
This is an excellent idea, and one we should all adopt and stick to.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Well, I enjoyed myself, immensely. Even though there were some old techniques it really inspired me to just play, with no end project in sight. And I love the new paints. And that they do different things with all the other products in the line. I like having different techniques to do with all the products I already have.

I don't know if I have to have any of the books or binding options he showed in the bonus videos, but I sure got some inspiration from how he bound and used the tags.